COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Now you're playing dirty, that's bad-bad, and I even hated it as a 9 year old.  There was also plenty of good-bad (or in the case of the first one, iconic-awesome-great-bad).

Edited by felser

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

This too shall pass. Hopefully they all live long enough and healthily enough to get a better song.

The "whatever reason" is the immediate circumstance, I'd say, nothing more. I mean, I get it, but life is tragic in all kinds of ways, all kinds of times. That's no excuse for a not good song, no matter how it's done, or by who.

I'm too old for that kind of thing. Fuck me, I'm an asshole. Or not. Just don't ask me to be "moved" by that. That's like that guy who sent out a lead sheet of some really bullshit reductotrane cretinous "jazz" song he wrote after Trayvon got killed, sent it to everybody on his social media group and encouraged EVERYBODY to play it on the bandstand THAT NIGHT and call for justice. Well, ok, I guess, I wasn't on that list, but a guy I was gigging with that night was, and sure enough, out comes the chart, and we get a couple choruses in and I just gotta stop and say, hey, this tune is BULLSHIT. The situation is NOT. This is an insult to the gravity of what has happened here, no wonder no progress ever gets made, it's a constant battle between trifling cretins, HOW DARE YOU ask me to play this and advocate in its name. So the guy stops and thinks about it and says, yeah, you're right, this song sucks, and then he called something else that still sucked. But at least it was a love song or a dedication to a family member or some shit like that. Something appropriate for the time and the place of the gig, something that could withstand the scrutiny of the non-discerning.

Just saying, I get it, this is a tough time all over, and young people in Italy...I can't imagine. Seriously, I can't imagine.

Still - life goes on, so get a better song. The long haul will thank you.

Jim, no offense, but I could care less whether the performance “moved” you or not. I think comparing a bunch of kids coming together in a virtual manner—the only way possible under current circumstances—to sing that song with that kind of feeling right now—to some dude who (sounds like, anyway) jumped on a incendiary murder to try to demand that other musicians play his half-assed work is not getting it right or justified. But *I’m* too old to spend time engaging in inane arguments that boil down to the equivalent of one man’s rapturous avant-garde ecstasy is another man’s squall from the bowels of hell. We’re all wired in ways that are at once similar and crazily disparare, so certain music resonates or vibrates in one person’s cells and leaves another thinking WTF is the big deal about that?  I mean, there’s no compulsion here to like anything. We all share things we enjoy. No way everybody’s gonna enjoy all that is shared. My gain doesn’t have to be your loss. Plenty out there for everybody to find the things that move and groove them and give a spark to the soul. I love Duke Ellington’s music and I love that virtual-choir acapella performance of “Helplessly Hoping.” The horror, the horror! 😄 

Just now, ghost of miles said:

...I could care less whether the performance “moved” you or not.

Well, there ya' go, that's all I was saying.

Now that we've gotten the Teen Scene out of the way, let's look at the international impacts of COVID-19 on journalism: https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-press-freedom-e11cd2d3-c1c3-4b67-b985-102c882a223d.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosmediatrends&stream=top

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

This too shall pass. Hopefully they all live long enough and healthily enough to get a better song.

The "whatever reason" is the immediate circumstance, I'd say, nothing more. I mean, I get it, but life is tragic in all kinds of ways, all kinds of times. That's no excuse for a not good song, no matter how it's done, or by who.

I'm too old for that kind of thing. Fuck me, I'm an asshole. Or not. Just don't ask me to be "moved" by that. That's like that guy who sent out a lead sheet of some really bullshit reductotrane cretinous "jazz" song he wrote after Trayvon got killed, sent it to everybody on his social media group and encouraged EVERYBODY to play it on the bandstand THAT NIGHT and call for justice. Well, ok, I guess, I wasn't on that list, but a guy I was gigging with that night was, and sure enough, out comes the chart, and we get a couple choruses in and I just gotta stop and say, hey, this tune is BULLSHIT. The situation is NOT. This is an insult to the gravity of what has happened here, no wonder no progress ever gets made, it's a constant battle between trifling cretins, HOW DARE YOU ask me to play this and advocate in its name. So the guy stops and thinks about it and says, yeah, you're right, this song sucks, and then he called something else that still sucked. But at least it was a love song or a dedication to a family member or some shit like that. Something appropriate for the time and the place of the gig, something that could withstand the scrutiny of the non-discerning.

Just saying, I get it, this is a tough time all over, and young people in Italy...I can't imagine. Seriously, I can't imagine.

Still - life goes on, so get a better song. The long haul will thank you.

Question - if the guy stapled a c-note to the Trayvon chart, would you play it? 

CJ started a thread about this in the Live forum, but thought I’d mention it here as well. *Probably* no performances of “Helplessly Hoping”... probably. :g

Live From Our Living Rooms April 1-7

Chick Corea, Christian McBride, Bill Frisell, and others.  Any money raised will go to help NYC-area musicians affected by the pandemic.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 6:42 PM, Dmitry said:

The social experiment to continue for another month. President just announced that he’s extending nationwide social distancing till April 30th. Peak deaths are expected in 14 days.

This is a social experiment bar none......there is NO CORONAVIRUS as is being portrayed on television.  It wouldn't surprise me if the so -called covid-19 deaths numbers are fake. It's all a trauma based mind-controlled psyop experiment designed to freak you out so that you will submit to the forced vaccinations programs they have planned for you in the future.

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

No.

What if the whole band had c-notes stapled to their charts also? They probably would be less pliable to agree with you then, no? The reason I'm asking is because you probably had to have played really bad music in your career, for a lot less than a c-note, and at times probably for free. 

5 minutes ago, bigbandrecord said:

This is a social experiment bar none......there is NO CORONAVIRUS as is being portrayed on television.  It wouldn't surprise me if the so -called covid-19 deaths numbers are fake. It's all a trauma based mind-controlled psyop experiment designed to freak you out so that you will submit to the forced vaccinations programs they have planned for you in the future.

Not sure if you're nuts or desperately seeking attention. Either way - fuck you.

Just now, Dmitry said:

What if the whole band had c-notes stapled to their charts also? They probably would be less pliable to agree with you then, no? The reason I'm asking is because you probably had to have played really bad music in your career, for a lot less than a c-note, and at times probably for free.

Ah see, when the gig pays little or nothing, I become highly selective. Have often dropped LOUD F-bombs under those circumstances. And that was one of those gigs.

And you know, some shit just ain't worth the money. You can make money other ways than desecrating what you love. I can, anyway. That's the main reason I stopped playing, too little money for too much bullshit. Let the teenagers in Italy have that money, they probably need it right now, hire then for a virtual gig.

39 minutes ago, bigbandrecord said:

I work with the hospital systems for, among others, Northwell Health System (Northshore University Hospital, Long Island-Jewish Medical Center, and 21 other hospitals), New York-Presbyterian Hospital (whose campuses are the teaching hospitals for Columbia and Cornell), and New York City Health and Hospital Corporation (Elmhurst, Bellevue, and 11 other hospitals).  I guess the medical staff, the sick patients, and the corpses didn't get the message that this is all fake.

The Coronavirus seems to have accelerated the USPS’ troubles: they may have to cease operations in June:

“With a negative net worth of $65 billion and an additional $140 billion in unfunded liabilities, the USPS originally expected to run out of liquidity by 2021 without intervention. That has accelerated rapidly because of COVID-19. Fewer people and businesses are sending mail because of the outbreak, which could hasten the decline of the Postal Service and close its doors as early as June, officials warned.”

USPS warns it might have to shutter by June as $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package provides no funding

1 hour ago, bigbandrecord said:

Forget about toilet paper.  I know who has been hoarding the tinfoil.

2 hours ago, Brad said:

The Coronavirus seems to have accelerated the USPS’ troubles: they may have to cease operations in June:

“With a negative net worth of $65 billion and an additional $140 billion in unfunded liabilities, the USPS originally expected to run out of liquidity by 2021 without intervention. That has accelerated rapidly because of COVID-19. Fewer people and businesses are sending mail because of the outbreak, which could hasten the decline of the Postal Service and close its doors as early as June, officials warned.”

USPS warns it might have to shutter by June as $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package provides no funding

Our local postal system already operates like a banana republic. Some days (e.g. yesterday) there's no delivery at all. Packages sit in limbo for days. Our main post office location is currently shuttered because there was COVID-19 reported in at least one employee. 2 other satellites are closed because the malls they are in are closed. 

Guys, in your opinion  why in a time like now the Facebook stock isn’t up, but instead has tanked? I’m not a regular FB user myself, but many if not most adults checkin just about every day.  Don’t they make money from advertising based on traffic?

Edited by Dmitry

6 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Guys, in your opinion  why in a time like now the Facebook stock isn’t up, but instead has tanked? I’m not a regular FB user myself, but many if not most adults checkin just about every day.  

That's a discussion best had with your financial advisor?

• JSngry locked this topic