COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Your statement is bullshit. I really wasn't expecting for someone here to drag out the "racist" placard, as a response to my original post. Anti-sanitary conditions are responsible for millions of deaths every year, mostly in third world countries, or countries with large swaths of population living in, get ready, anti-sanitary conditions.

For instance, wet markets, like the one in Wuhan, where the virus is purported to have infected patient zero, are notorious for the detritus soup, in which the the buyers interact with sellers and their wares.

When large numbers of people live in cramped quarters, the anti-sanitary conditions prevail, and foster disease - from easily treated , but embarrassing pediculosis, like my son brought home from two weeks of a soccer camp in Madrid, to something a lot more serious. That's why I asked a question whether there was evidence that the virus originated in Lombardy in a Chinese enclave, where people work in sweat shops and live in cramped conditions.

True, diseases have no nationality, but they have origins...China, USA, Germany, Russia, Africa. Knowing and understanding them is essential for epidemiologists to fight, and hopefully cure them.

According to scientists in this case contagion in Italy has no relationship with anti-sanitary situation that we have for sure but in this case is not relevant. I am sorry If I overreacted but newspapers and social media are full of bullshits and crappy conspiracy theories about this virus. Sorry it wasn’t meant to you.

Edited by porcy62

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, porcy62 said:

According to scientists in this case contagion in Italy has no relationship with anti-sanitary situation that we have for sure but in this case is not relevant. I am sorry If I overreacted but newspapers and social media are full of bullshits and crappy conspiracy theories about this virus. Sorry it wasn’t meant to you.

It takes a big man to apologize, and I appreciate it. We are all on edge here, regardless of our location. Stay safe, and enjoy the vino!

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Here's a story about planning, listening, anticipating, and not fucking up after so doing:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/heb-prepared-coronavirus-pandemic/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I read it. I don't know what they are doing that's different from our regional chains, at lest overtly, as I'm not privy to the runnings of the supermarket business. There's no food shortage, the toilet tissue is back in stock at our local supermarket. N95 masks...Do they have them now at HEB? Doesn't appear to be the case from reading the article. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I like how they paid attention and actually DID "see it coming".

As opposed to what other supermarket  chain? With all due respect, it reads like a fluff piece. If they did "see it coming", all the upper management would've dumped their 401k holdings, and opened CDs. 

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

http://shanghaiist.com/2020/03/27/urns-in-wuhan-far-exceed-death-toll-raising-more-questions-about-chinas-tally/

The implications of this for the accuracy of China's reporting is truly horrific.

It’s hard to know what to make of this.  Presumably people in Wuhan were dying of other things during this period that couldn’t be buried.  (Maybe even more than usual due to overloading of the healthcare system.)  There were also probably people who died before they could get tested.

Unfortunately, even if there was undercounting of Chinese deaths from coronavirus, the true number is likely to be much lower than the eventual count here in the US. :(

11 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

If the US is extremely lucky, the number of COVID deaths will be in the low 6 digits.

Keep in mind that some of the factors for the China undercount are likely to crop up here too.

I understand that you are convinced that Chinese death numbers are/will be lower than ours will be when it's all tallied up? I'm scratching my head as to why you are saying that..

Edited by Dmitry

Philly region has grown over past week from 85 cases to 803 cases.  We are well stocked and hunkered in for awhile except for our daughter who works at a bank, but the bank is taking very limited walk-in traffic (loan closings only).

12 minutes ago, felser said:

Philly region has grown over past week from 85 cases to 803 cases.  We are well stocked and hunkered in for awhile except for our daughter who works at a bank, but the bank is taking very limited walk-in traffic (loan closings only).

You can do better than 803, go for a record!

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know."

- Donald Rumsfeld

• JSngry locked this topic