Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe

BFT 198 Link & Discussion

26 posts in this topic

Greetings all.

BFT 198 (September 2020) is now available for your listening / sleuthing pleasure. 15 tracks.

Thanks to Thom Keith, you can listen online at http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/.

Looking forward to the discussion to follow!

Best,

JM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very piano-centric but not very engaging for my tastes as the former GHF. :ph34r:

#1 is Summertime and kept me listening longer than I anticipated. Curious about this one, and also 13 which is an interesting take on a standard whose name escapes me and when someone else ID's I'll be pissed.

Listening to 15 as I post, interesting as solo organ I can only guess someone newer playing in an older style.

Thanks Joe, I'm sure others will engage on a deeper level than I did/could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buzzed through, will be awhile before I can listen to the whole thing.  Every cut sounds like a winner, more engaging to for my tastes than Dan's.  He is a great guy, and we get common enjoyment over how different our tastes are!  Thanks Joe, look forward to discovering this one in depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ya'll!

#13: IDing the horn players might help with the IDing the tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to this one before the month gets away.

01 - Summertime.  Not sure about the snake-charmer intro.   At first, the bass had me thinking Francois Rabbath.  It’s not him, but my guess is that this has European origins.  Not sure I’m fully buying the gratuitious use of the Byzantine scale, but I like it in spite of that.  Definitely digging the bass.  I appreciate the attempt at a different approach, but I’m not sure I can handle it more than once.

02 - Now, I like this.  It’s got that restrained solo piano feel, but with some nice extensions in there.  Sort of like Roland Hanna meets Ran Blake.  I’m going to switch gears about 4 minutes in.  Sounds like a Monk tune, but maybe a Fred Hersch interpretation.

03 - At first, I was thinking someone else was sneaking in some Dennis Gonzalez.  It has that modern Steeplechase feel, like something John Swana would do.  These guys are more modern than that, at least the saxophonist is.  Has that heavy rhythmic variance of a lot of modern Jazz.   I like it, but I’m not in love with it.

04 - Meandering melodic lines, questionable direction.  I should detest this, but I quite like it.  Seems like it owes a bit of a nod to Abdullah Ibrahim.  I don’t believe it’s him, but neither would I be surprised if it were.  Has touches that suggest Mal Waldron, as well.  I believe I would enjoy sitting and talking music with this pianist.  Runs a bit long, but I like it overall.

05 - This is weird.  First thought was this cat like Cannonball, a lot.  Then I was getting a distinct Sonny Criss vibe, though the rhythm section has a Bitches Brew meets Shepp’s Mariamar vibe.  I want to make a weird guess of Anthony Ortega, but it seems too aggressive.  I like this, though.  This hits the wheelhouse really well.  It’s raw.  I’m in.  Let me add, it’s raw, but hasn’t lost the blues.  This just works.  This one seems to run a shade long, as well, but I’m still in.  

06 - Shades of Tristano.  At times, shakes hands with Mal.  I could listen to a lot of this.  Live, but not sure who it is.  GIMME MORE!!!

07 - It’s an interesting feel, but I’m not convinced it goes anywhere.  It’s great in the background, but not a sit-and-listen track.  I can always do without electronics, but I have to confess, I’m a fan of drummers replicating that remix sound.  My guess is, this is the drummer’s gig, and that’s what we’re supposed to focus on (because it’s where the action is).  Nice bass line, but again, doesn’t really go anywhere.  Reminds me of Radio Citizen.

08 - Guessing a younger pianist.  Has that technique.  First note sounded like Don Pullen.  The main line sounded like Mal Waldron, but too precise.  Then, it turns out, we’re at Solar.  No idea.  Sticking with younger pianist.  Wait, is this perhaps TWO pianists?  I’m still thiinking younger, but they’ve done their listening.  Even a direct Tristano quote at about 5:00.  Still unsure if it’s one or two.

09 - Ah, the somewhat rare trumpet/unemployment stick unison lead.  Post-Shorter doubler on soprano, could be about anybody.  Now, that alto provide a hint.  Is this The Travelers, perhaps?  Certainly sounds like it.  Let’s make a triple line.  Getting a Dizzy feel from the horn, but 90% sure it’s not him.  Could be Jon Faddis (it sounds THAT close to me).  Really almost don’t hear the alto on the head.  

10 - Not sure where I am on this one.  It’s pleasant, but I’m working, listening on the laptop, and it really hasn’t made much of an impression on me.  A co-worker of my Dad’s had alternate lyrics to this song, and it’s kind of ruined the song for me.  I will not share them here — no need to ruin it for others.

11 - A little second-line, I’m in.  Especially when you put it with a bitchin’ bass line.  Not sold on the horn, entirely, but the feel of the tune is awsome.  Sounds like a Larry Willis groove.  Very busy saxophone — why not?  Plenty of energy here.  I’m loving the rhythm section more than the horn, though.  I’m going to throw out a weird guess of Ernie Watts on alto.

12 - Man, somebody always throws in an old needle-drop and it’s obvious, but I’m always afraid to risk it.  To hell with it — is it Fats Waller?

13 - Know the song, can’t give you the title.  First impression was Art Farmer.  Oh, shit.  Cherokee, for crissake.  Hmmm… sure sounds like Lee Konitz.  Seems to me I had this at one point (Live in Genoa?), but I don’t recall this being so long.  

14 - This one is going to irritate me.  I know that pianist.  Two listens and I don’t have it.  I’m going to hate myself, later.

15 - This one is weird.  Pace and general feel is Donna Lee, but I don’t hear it, yet.  Are we dealing with solo organ?  That’s an oddity, but I’m not sold on it.  Only guy I can think of trying something like this is Joey D., but this person sounds a bit older.  Wait… now we’re at the ballpark.  I’m so lost.  I give it points for being original, but I’m not feeling this one.

And, for some reason, my wife is downstairs rocking out to Mingus Ah Um.  Guess I did something right last night!  :D

Nearly all of this is new to my ears.  I’ll be interested to see the reveal.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Thom!

A couple of your guesses are spot-on.

I will confess that there are some artists here whose jazz "credentials" might be considered questionable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Joe said:

Thanks Thom!

A couple of your guesses are spot-on.

I will confess that there are some artists here whose jazz "credentials" might be considered questionable.

I was wondering if the Tristano connection was intentional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

       1) “Summertime.”  The performance feels pretty laid back, maybe too much so to justify the length of  10 + minutes.  The opening made me think of Yusef Lateef on oboe, but not really his sound.  For that matter, it may not be oboe.  

2)   I’m almost never good at identifying solo piano. 

Undoubtedly Konitz on #13. 

              I browsed a bit and looked at Thom's comments.  I have to say this is unfamiliar stuff, and I expect to bomb on this one.

 

Edited by Milestones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 – Nice moody performance of “Summertime” by Ahmad Abdul-Malik and Co. from the 1963 “Eastern Moods” album.

 

2 – Nice enough, but did not keep my attention.

 

3 – Yes, I like this.  Great tone for the tenor player, who is likely well-known.  I’m not placing this, think I probably should be.

 

4 – Beautiful.  Two solo piano pieces in first four selections?  I much prefer this one to #2, and want to own it if I don’t already.    Sort of a cross between the ECM Corea and Jarrett solo piano styles.

 

5 -  I like this a lot more than I would have expected and look forward to the reveal.   The sax player is inventive, the bass player carries the weight, and the rhythms are nicely slinky.   At 15 minutes, it does oustay it’s welcome some.

 

6 - .  Three solo piano pieces in first four selections?  I like this more than the first, less than the second, I do like it, and do admit all three are different from each other.  This has a very African/Dollar Brand feel to it.

 

7 – Sorry, absolutely does not translate for me.

 

8 – I like this one OK, but not as much as #6, and not nearly as much as #4.   Good inner logic to the playing, and nice technique.   I’m enjoying the survey of solo piano styles on the even-numbered selections.

 

9. – I’m sure I own this somewhere.  Bright and festive tune/arrangement.  Solos don’t do as much for me as the ensemble playing, though the trumpeter does get frisky in the second half of his solo, and the pianist acquits himself very well.  Reminds me of the Visitors (Grubbs brothers, Coltrane’s nephews), but it’s not them.  Part of that is because of the saxes, part because of the pianist sounding so like Sid Simmons.

 

10 – You did a really nice job picking the solo piano pieces.  This one is also good, though #4 remains my choice.  

 

11 – Right in my wheelhouse as far as styles.  Sounds like a vinyl transfer?  Worth the effort.  I would guess the 70’s, and I’m coming up blank on who it is, but definitely want to know more!  Count me in if this is easily obtainable on CD.  Really don’t think I’m familiar with it, though I’ve been wrong many times before.

 

12 – Old.  Doesn’t do much for me, but surely very good for what it is.

 

13 – I’m sure it’s good, but leaves me fairly cold.  Sort of the inverse of #5, I like it less than I probably would on paper.  The alto player sounds to be very old (age, not style).

 

14 – Moody, pretty, and all that.  I’d probably like this better late at night than I do in the middle of a holiday afternoon.

 

15 – Jimmy Smith or someone who spent a whole lot of time listening to him.  Certainly enjoyable!

 

And “certainly enjoyable” is a good description of this BFT.  Fits the perfect hope for one of these, to discover cuts I love but don’t recognize.  Breathlessly await ID/reveal of #4 and #11, also looking forward to learning more about #5, #6, #9 and others.  Well done, thanks so much!

 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:25 PM, tkeith said:

11 - A little second-line, I’m in.  Especially when you put it with a bitchin’ bass line.  Not sold on the horn, entirely, but the feel of the tune is awsome.  Sounds like a Larry Willis groove.  Very busy saxophone — why not?  Plenty of energy here.  I’m loving the rhythm section more than the horn, though.  I’m going to throw out a weird guess of Ernie Watts on alto.

 

Yeah, I was going to comment on the busyness of the horn.  Works big time for me on this cut, but I would not hold the solo up as a masterpiece.   But the cut evokes an era and a feeling that I dig so much.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:25 PM, tkeith said:

And, for some reason, my wife is downstairs rocking out to Mingus Ah Um. 

You are blessed above all men!  My wife does some good stuff on her own listening time also, such as Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments".

Edited by felser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, felser said:

1 – Nice moody performance of “Summertime” by Ahmad Abdul-Malik and Co. from the 1963 “Eastern Moods” album.

 

2 – Nice enough, but did not keep my attention.

 

3 – Yes, I like this.  Great tone for the tenor player, who is likely well-known.  I’m not placing this, think I probably should be.

 

4 – Beautiful.  Two solo piano pieces in first four selections?  I much prefer this one to #2, and want to own it if I don’t already.    Sort of a cross between the ECM Corea and Jarrett solo piano styles.

 

5 -  I like this a lot more than I would have expected and look forward to the reveal.   The sax player is inventive, the bass player carries the weight, and the rhythms are nicely slinky.   At 15 minutes, it does oustay it’s welcome some.

 

6 - .  Three solo piano pieces in first four selections?  I like this more than the first, less than the second, I do like it, and do admit all three are different from each other.  This has a very African/Dollar Brand feel to it.

 

7 – Sorry, absolutely does not translate for me.

 

8 – I like this one OK, but not as much as #6, and not nearly as much as #4.   Good inner logic to the playing, and nice technique.   I’m enjoying the survey of solo piano styles on the even-numbered selections.

 

9. – I’m sure I own this somewhere.  Bright and festive tune/arrangement.  Solos don’t do as much for me as the ensemble playing, though the trumpeter does get frisky in the second half of his solo, and the pianist acquits himself very well.  Reminds me of the Visitors (Grubbs brothers, Coltrane’s nephews), but it’s not them.  Part of that is because of the saxes, part because of the pianist sounding so like Sid Simmons.

 

10 – You did a really nice job picking the solo piano pieces.  This one is also good, though #4 remains my choice.  

 

11 – Right in my wheelhouse as far as styles.  Sounds like a vinyl transfer?  Worth the effort.  I would guess the 70’s, and I’m coming up blank on who it is, but definitely want to know more!  Count me in if this is easily obtainable on CD.  Really don’t think I’m familiar with it, though I’ve been wrong many times before.

 

12 – Old.  Doesn’t do much for me, but surely very good for what it is.

 

13 – I’m sure it’s good, but leaves me fairly cold.  Sort of the inverse of #5, I like it less than I probably would on paper.  The alto player sounds to be very old (age, not style).

 

14 – Moody, pretty, and all that.  I’d probably like this better late at night than I do in the middle of a holiday afternoon.

 

15 – Jimmy Smith or someone who spent a whole lot of time listening to him.  Certainly enjoyable!

 

And “certainly enjoyable” is a good description of this BFT.  Fits the perfect hope for one of these, to discover cuts I love but don’t recognize.  Breathlessly await ID/reveal of #4 and #11, also looking forward to learning more about #5, #6, #9 and others.  Well done, thanks so much!

 

Yeah, I was going to comment on the busyness of the horn.  Works big time for me on this cut, but I would not hold the solo up as a masterpiece.   But the cut evokes an era and a feeling that I dig so much.

You are blessed above all men!  My wife does some good stuff on her own listening time also, such as Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments".

Thank you for these comments!

#4 I chose precisely because I have played this performance for friends before and they have also heard Corea and Jarrett in it. But it's not Chick or Keith.

I don't believe 11 has ever made it to CD, FWIW. But maybe in Japan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Joe said:

#4 I chose precisely because I have played this performance for friends before and they have also heard Corea and Jarrett in it. But it's not Chick or Keith.

Yes, didn't think it was either of them, but influenced by both.  And I doubt if it is an ECM recording, because I don't know who else on the label would have recorded something like this.  Look forward to finding out more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe. You have put together a very interesting Blindfold Test of all music which is unfamiliar to me. I need to listen some more before commenting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! Looking forward to reading your thoughts/impressions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, is that first one a rendition of Summertime? The tenor at least plays some bars from it whenever they're on. Excellent tune. Is that also the stritch or is it something else? Love it. 

Also, love all the solo piano tracks on the even numbers. The first one is especially a beautifully played song. Track 8's solo is really bluesy...and is number 12 Duke? Really great, all of them. 

On Track 7, love the sampler or whatever it is that carves in and out. The bass player is great too. 

Number 9 is a standard right? Very upbeat and cheerful. 

11 = brilliant

Track 13 is trumpet butter. 

And number 15 is a B3 solo but good god they can play the bass line on that thing. I love those pulsing bass notes that good organ players produce. Jamming! 

Looking forward to the reveal as I have no idea who any of these artists are, as well as the fact that to me there were no bad or uninteresting songs played.

Edited by Dub Modal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 4:25 PM, tkeith said:

09 - Ah, the somewhat rare trumpet/unemployment stick unison lead.  Post-Shorter doubler on soprano, could be about anybody.  Now, that alto provide a hint.  Is this The Travelers, perhaps?  Certainly sounds like it.  Let’s make a triple line.  Getting a Dizzy feel from the horn, but 90% sure it’s not him.  Could be Jon Faddis (it sounds THAT close to me).  Really almost don’t hear the alto on the head.  

 

Jesus.  What was in the pipe when I wrote this.  Wasn't until I read Felser's comments that I realized I'd called The Visitors "The Travelers".   #justsayno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Ok, is that first one a rendition of Summertime? The tenor at least plays some bars from it whenever they're on. Excellent tune. Is that also the stritch or is it something else? Love it. 

Also, love all the solo piano tracks on the even numbers. The first one is especially a beautifully played song. Track 8's solo is really bluesy...and is number 12 Duke? Really great, all of them. 

On Track 7, love the sampler or whatever it is that carves in and out. The bass player is great too. 

Number 9 is a standard right? Very upbeat and cheerful. 

11 = brilliant

Track 13 is trumpet butter. 

And number 15 is a B3 solo but good god they can play the bass line on that thing. I love those pulsing bass notes that good organ players produce. Jamming! 

Looking forward to the reveal as I have no idea who any of these artists are, as well as the fact that to me there were no bad or uninteresting songs played.

Thanks!

Pretty sure everyone has IDed the tune on #1.

#7 is going to be a big stretch for some listeners. Glad you dug it!

#9 might be based on a standard. But, to the bet of my knowledge, it is an original/contrafact.

#12, not Duke, but there's a conceptual connection (?).

#13: I think some folks have IDed the other horn, but no one has drawn a bull's eye on the trumpet player. Let's just say those two soloists have a history together.

36 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Jesus.  What was in the pipe when I wrote this.  Wasn't until I read Felser's comments that I realized I'd called The Visitors "The Travelers".   #justsayno

Ha! Not the Grubbs Bros., but those Visitors records are great sources for BFT tracks. Ditto the Catalyst stuff, to keep things Philly-centric for a moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've thought of doing an entirely 1970s Philly-Centric BFT to honor the stuff I came of age on.  Catalyst, The Visitors, Khan Jamal, Byard Lancaster, Rufus Harley, Monette Sudler etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, felser said:

I've thought of doing an entirely 1970s Philly-Centric BFT to honor the stuff I came of age on.  Catalyst, The Visitors, Khan Jamal, Byard Lancaster, Rufus Harley, Monette Sudler etc.

All great music!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that would be a great listen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Larry, long time lister, first-time faller...hey, I just have a question for Joe there,,,what made you want to go into the Linotype business in the first place?

TRACK ONE - Is that Shafi Hadi on alto? No it's not. Or is it?

TRACK TWO - Floats like Ran Blake, stings like him too. A man of at least one Hat, one of them Is Blue. Hell yeah, Horace!

TRACK THREE - Some kind of "Succotash" variant. No idea who the tenor player, or as the piece goes on, who the band is. No idea. It's a band full of good players. I think i like the piano player best, and it sounds like a personality with which I'm not as well-acquainted as I would perhaps like to be. One of those little tremelo things sounds like Herbie, but what does that mean these days, when everybody knows how to sound like everybody else any time they feel like it? A good BFT or other sampler cut. Dave Kikowski on piano?

TRACK FOUR - some weird hybrid between Mal Waldron and Jan Hammer, but the real antecedent here for me is Pearl Kaufman/Oliver Nelson, neither of whom are Mal Waldron nor Jan Hammer. Not Joe Zawinul by any chance?

TRACK FIVE - BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but not quite....REAL close, though. Sounds too much "like" him to be him, you wither are are you aren't. I don't know, Robin Kenyatta? Probably not, but somebody who did honorable work but never broke all the way into a full-fledged identity. There's a bit of Ornette in there, so who sounds like Cannonball thru Ornette or vice-versa. I do like it.

TRACK SIX - some weird hybrid between Mal Waldron and Horace Silver. But this is a club date, so that narrows it down.

TRACK SEVEN - yeah, I like this, sounds like it was made by somebody with a lot of decades let to live, not just one or two.This whole constrution technique fascinates me, I could not put something like this together, at all. I mean, I can hear the end result just fine, same with the starting point, sortamaybe, but how do you build all of this? Yes, I know, a lot of repetition, but big effing deal, you still gotta put it together, right? This shit don't make itself. And I don't know that this is particularly sample-heavy, that shit's even more amazing to me, that way of thinking. Anyway...there's so many different names for this general type of thing, I don't know what the actual "genre" is, and truthfully, I'm glad  don't, it's nice to hear music that all I can really hear is the music itself, at face value, more or less.

TRACK EIGHT - Land Of The Rising Solar?I hope this is some really older person, a younger person would have no excuse and should probably get Old Yeller-ed. Oh shit, now the left hand is starting to rush.

TRACK NINE - I like this.

TRACK TEN - Oh my. "Stormy Weather" with a concept, and a concept with a conscience. But really, no improvisation is needed, you got a complete statement already. not that the improvisation hurt it, but I don't know what it adds, either. But true to having a conscience, there isn't really that much of it. Very much appreciate this one!

TRACK ELEVEN - Is that a MPS record? Or an early Tom Scott record? Not both, of course. Or it could be Eric Kloss, he made a lot of records.

TRACK TWELVE - Fats? That's beautiful.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Ok, that's Lee. So that must be this. those two worked VERY well together, and I do not yet have this record nor did I know about it, need to remedy all that....https://www.amazon.com/Cherokee/dp/B0874W1DT8

TRACK FOURTEEN - there's a standard there somewhere...and i wish i could call it...pretty strong Bill Evans left hand...this sounds like the way I want to think that Bill Evans actually played but handle ever did...and if this is him, fuck him for not doing it more often. But I don't think it is, there's too much patience and not enough naif-ness, all of which makes me like it.

TRACK FIFTEEN - It's a rephrased "Cottontail"....did they change it to keep the royalties? Rhythm changes no matter what...there's some Milt Buckner in that registry change (if that's what the term is), gut i don't think it's a player of that vintage, or maybe not even close to that vintage. But it COULD be a later Jimmy Smith record, one of those obscure ones that only Joe knows about.

Hey Larry, thanks for taking my call, wonder if you could ask Joe one question for me - what is the difference between Linotype and Lithograph, never have been able to get that straight, ok? I'll hang up and listen, great show tonight, guys, ok, bye!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have to ask my printer friends about the litho/lino thing, but they're too stoned right now to be of much help.

Jim, I think you will be surprised at the accuracy of some of your guesses!

Track 1: not Shafi Hadi, but a figure not unilke him. I do wish there were more Shafi Hadi to hear. Dude was deep.

I have listened to track 10 a lot lately. The whole LP, in fact. "Guilty pleasure" maybe. Not sure why this one affects me the way it does. I think you may have finally articulated it for me.

Just typed up my "reveal" notes today. All will etc. 10/1.

Much grass! 

 

Edited by Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the reveal, as it is the last day of September!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look for the reveal late tomorrow. Probably closer to evening than morning. Looking forward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up on this thread (forgot to subscribe).  DAMN, Jim!  You got EARS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad not many participants ... and where is the BFT Grand Poobah?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.