Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alex Potts

R.I.P. Nadi Qamar (1917-2020)

10 posts in this topic

Interesting figure indeed; would be interested in getting his Folkways solo LP someday. 103 is quite a run.

I'll have to listen to his work with Mingus and Andrew Hill again soon.   Thank you for the music, Mr. Qamar, and rest in peace.

RIP. Thanks for being there and doing that.

Probably like many, I only know his music via Andrew Hill's Compulsion! or some piano recordings with Charles Mingus & Max Roach.  Stunning colleagues indeed...

Thanks for posting this! Played Compulsion yesterday, and then this Allen Eager LP which has one side live in a Quintet with Howard McGhee and Qamar on piano from 1953

R-6165380-1465206649-6197.jpeg.jpg

Nadi Qamar played a gig at Southend Musicworks in Chicago in 1990. To the extent i remember it, I think he mostly played piano and kalimba. Quite a feat for the venue to have tracked him down in those pre-WWW days. I assume he probably drove down from Wisconsin. I've always wondered what happened to him - amazing that he lived such a long, productive life.

What a life! And proof that a great musician much too often is not widely known or on a lot of records. I always enjoyed his playing and especially his love for African instruments. Like here:

R-1360248-1212940795.jpeg.jpg