Porgy and Bess, So Many Jazz Adaptations

Teasing the Korean

I'll tell them that you sent me and ask for the BL Special.

Ok, they answered on the first ring!

I was a little embarrassed though, I asked for a Rhapsody In Blue with extra cheese, and they graciously informed that the Rhapsody In Blue already comes with ALL the cheese they have. They couldn't find any more even if they tried. It's like, anybody orders one of those, there's no more cheese for anybody's pizza until the next order come on, which it sounds like is going to be after the weekend. So, sorry, everybody else, if you want cheese on you pizza this weekend, don't order it from these guys.

I believed them, because...why would they lie about something like that?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to the Columbia Record Club, many of my generation grew up listening to Miles’ “Porgy & Bess.”  And I think, like me, they knew nothing of the play or story - that music stood alone. Probably the same for all those wonderful Broadway original cast albums that were a part of many households - we knew all the scores, but nothing much about the actual shows. (When I finally did see the plays, I was often disappointed - should have stuck with the LP.)

• 10 months later...

Leave aside (for the sake of discussion) Porgy and Bess as an opera, and Rhapsody in Blue. Just consider the long list of GAS tunes by Gershwin. It includes, to my ears, quite a number of damn fine pieces.

Not sure why we have to diss Gershwin just because some prefer Arlen, Porter, Kern, etc.

I would not want to be without I Got Rhythm, Lady Be Good, Someone to Watch Over Me, and many others.

We are fortunate to have the many fine GAS composers which have enriched the jazz world for a long long time.

Everyone may have their own view of which one may be their favorite. But if Gershwin is not one's favorite GAS composer - that is a far cry from him being a bad one.