What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in northern Spain this week. Very close to Andorra and I decided to go and visit the area. Three good reasons to do this.

Get a good ration of Havana cigars for the upcoming winter, visit the mountains surrounding the main Andorra city

and take a look at the record stores there to check on the Definitive/Disconforme scene since the label originates

from the city.

Just a reminder that Andorra is a taxfree area which attracts hordes of tourists from neighboring Spain and France, most of

them looking for cheap booze and cigarettes.

The Havana situation was splendid and I bought widely from one of the several cigars stores that grace the main city.

The mountains around Andorra are spectacular and since the scenery was bathed in hot sunny weather, the drive

up there were magnifico.

The record stores however proved pretty disappointing. Could not trace any albums from the Definitive catalogue except for

a couple of issues that I had seen before. The scene would have made Chuck Nessa happy!

There was only one store with some heavy jazz content. So here is what I purchased:

- Mundell Lowe/Tete Montoliu 'Sweet 'n Lovely' (Fresh Sound),

- Tete Montoliu/Nuria Feliu '1965/1990' (PDI). That'rs the album that has Booker Ervin appearting on the 1965

tracks.

- Tal Farlow 'The Complete Verve' (Mosaic).

The single CDs were sold at €11, the Mosaic box at €89 (around $110).

The cigar purchases I made were much more interesting.

I was in northern Spain this week....

The record stores however proved pretty disappointing. Could not trace any albums from the Definitive catalogue except for

a couple of issues that I had seen before. The scene would have made Chuck Nessa happy!

There was only one store with some heavy jazz content. So here is what I purchased:

- Mundell Lowe/Tete Montoliu 'Sweet 'n Lovely' (Fresh Sound),

- Tete Montoliu/Nuria Feliu '1965/1990' (PDI). That'rs the album that has Booker Ervin appearting on the 1965

tracks.

- Tal Farlow 'The Complete Verve' (Mosaic).

Hope you had enjoyed your Spanish trip, brownie.

Regarding Disconforme emporium, to my knowledge, though legally (due to taxes matters, I guess) they´re place in Andorra, their headquarters are in Barcelona (as his new big Jazzmessengers store).

On the Tete releases:

-the dates with Nùria Feliu are simply lovely. Nice to hear those old standards traslated into Catalan. The tracks with Booker Ervin are superb (there were a few more, without Nùria and not included in this release).

-did you pick the two Lowe-Montoliu volumes? Both are superb. I´ll PM you regarding a ghost track I discovered in volume 2. It´s an unlisted blues that I haven´t been able to identify. I request for you help, once again, for the Tete discography. Thanks in advance!

I ordered two CBBB MPS reissues from dustygroove: November Girl (the McRae collaboration) and Off Limits. This will upgrade some lp transfers for me. Also in this order I included the new "Elis and Tom" reissue from Brazil.

I shouldn't have even ordered one of them! My finances are bad. My willpower not to buy is even worse!

Bought yesterday (Cheapo-Cheapo records in Rupert Street, Soho) £4 each:-

Benny Carter Quartet, w.Jimmy Rowles,Leroy Vinnegar

Cyrus Chestnut "You Are my Sunshine"

Clare Fischer "Just Me"

Benny Green Trio "Naturally"

Tony Kinsey Quartet "Live at the Ealing Jazz Festival"

Duke Pearson Sextet "Sweet Honey Bee" w.Freddie Hubbard,James Spaulding

Steps Ahead w.Mike Brecker, Elaine Elias

A couple from the piano/vibes duo of Frank Kimbrough and Joe Locke:

e57520fpkji.jpg ... f46067npsb2.jpg

Saturn's Child (Omni Tone, 1999) and The Willow (Omni Tone, 2001)

These are beautiful, intricate, luminous recordings. Kimbrough continues to fascinate me! :)

Edited by gdogus

Visited the regular Paris stores after a four-week absence.

This is what I got:

- Al Cohn/Zoot Sims 'Motoring Along' (Sonet),

- Duke Ellington Presents Ivie Anderson (Columbia 2CD set)

- Clifford Jordan Quintet (with Junior Cook) 'Two Tenor Winner' (CrissCross)

- Helen Merrill 'Carrousel' (Finlandia Records)

- Jackie Paris Sings the Lyrics of Ira Gershwin (Time Japan)

LAL, some nice stuff in those discs!

Me, today NOTHING! I'm pleased!

Yep. All I need now is to get the 2 cd set which contains the albums "Over and Over Again" and "Live at the Roosevelt Grill" to have a complete or at least a comprehensive set of masters/recordings made by Wilbur on Atlantic.

I was at the FNAC stores in Brussels and couldn´t resist. There was a very complete collection of Chronogical (sic) Classics, some Hatologies at 13€, some Verve LPR for 9€...

After reducing many times (!!!) the selection in my bag, I purchased about 20 CDs.

I´m too lazy to list them now, but there were 4 early Waller on Classics, 2 early Red Allen on Classics, a couple of Classics more (Albert Ammons and Jonah Jones), six Hatologies (one Lacy, one Konitz, the Max Roach-Braxton duo...), some Ayler, another Braxton (Three compositions of new jazz), Konitz (Motion)...

Additionally, I´m waiting for 4 more Tete discs (the first three volumes on Soul Note and another one).

I have to convince myself (again!!!) that I have to reduce my purchasing habits! :(