What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been meaning to post these purchases after taking advantage of the Concord Records sale. Ordered these on a Sunday afternoon and they arrived this past Thursday.

Howard McGhee - Maggie's Back In Town!

Jimmy Woods - Conflict

Nat Adderley Quintet - Branching Out

Blue Mitchell - Blue's Moods

Blue Mitchell - The Cup Bearers

Jimmy Heath - Really Big

The Junior Cook Quintet - Junior's Cookin'

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All Stars - Volume 3

Some nice choices! What do you think of Conflict?

Bruce, "Conflict" is a very solid and exciting effort at least for me. Jimmy's playing at times is quite adventurous without completely going across the edge. The cast is quite impressive with Carmell Jones, Harold Land, Andrew Hill, George Tucker and Elvin Jones. Elvin at times just beats the hell out of his drum kit. As of right now, this release is probably my favorite among all the releases listed above.

"Mestizuo", the second of the three Concha Buika albums I ordered the Sunday before last turned up today.

61-Dx1MUTnL._SS500_.jpg

This one is her jazz album - her first album. It's almost all accompanied only by Jacob Sureda on piano. This isn't what you'd expect of a jazz singer. It's not in the least cool; more like filled with the pain of red hot knives which, when she sings, in "Autumn leaves" a line like "and I miss you, I miss you, I miss you, I miss you" she turns in your stomach. Her voice, and how expressively she uses it, is just amazing!

Particularly on the two Spanish songs, I kept finding myself thinking of the great Cuban singer/pianst, Bola de Nieve, to whose music Ubu (I think) introduced me a couple of months ago.

MG

I've been meaning to post these purchases after taking advantage of the Concord Records sale. Ordered these on a Sunday afternoon and they arrived this past Thursday.

Howard McGhee - Maggie's Back In Town!

Jimmy Woods - Conflict

Nat Adderley Quintet - Branching Out

Blue Mitchell - Blue's Moods

Blue Mitchell - The Cup Bearers

Jimmy Heath - Really Big

The Junior Cook Quintet - Junior's Cookin'

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All Stars - Volume 3

Some nice choices! What do you think of Conflict?

Bruce, "Conflict" is a very solid and exciting effort at least for me. Jimmy's playing at times is quite adventurous without completely going across the edge. The cast is quite impressive with Carmell Jones, Harold Land, Andrew Hill, George Tucker and Elvin Jones. Elvin at times just beats the hell out of his drum kit. As of right now, this release is probably my favorite among all the releases listed above.

Glad to hear it. Conflict was and is a standout album for me, certainly. And I like playing that's adventurous, even skirts the edge, but doesn't go right off it.

Gigantic haul today at Half Price Books:

Let's start off with Jim Hall's Jazz Guitar-Pacific Jazz for $4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :excited::excited::excited:

Then:

Cooper-Moore/Assif Tsahar :Tells Untold-Hopscotch-$5

Oscar Pettiford:The New Oscar Pattiford Sextet-Debut/Fantasy-$6

Gil Evans: Into the Hot-Impulse!-$5

Paul Smith Quartet-Tampa-$6

Mal Waldron: On Steinway-Fuel 2000-$5

What a super duper haul!!!!!!!!

Lee "Scratch" Perry - On the wire

4176G28VZWL._SS500_.jpg

Recorded in 1988, but not issued until 2000.

Listening to it now. Good, but not as wildly inventive as his seventies recordings.

MG

I'm sure that Scratch at less than his best is still better than most.

Oh indeed! This was not anything like chucking money away! I could have bought earlier material, but I thought it would be interesting to see how he'd got on afterwards. Bit like George Clinton. You wouldn't want to do without either, even though their greatest days are past.

MG

Got this just released 3CD set from the RLR label

416a5fwB6WL._SS260_.jpg

The set includes more than three hours of music recorded during the 1958 tour of the 'Jazz from Carnegie Hall' musicians. Jay and Kai were part of the tour but the featured musicians also include Lee Konitz, Zoot Sims, Phineas Newborn, Red Garland, Oscar Pettiford and Kenny Clarke. The set adds a lot of excellent music to what had previously appeared on several bootlegs releases.

Sound is not exactly perfect but is quite acceptable!