What music did you buy today?

tonym

On 29/09/2021 at 7:35 PM, kh1958 said:

I can answer those questions.

Kanaga System Krush was a U.S. based West Coast label which formerly issued CDs and LPs. It seems to have failed as a business in that regard, and the several Bandcamp downloads are the only partial remnant of the label. It is not a "produced" label. They traveled to Mali and recorded the musicians in their home environment. Most of the CDs I have on this label are quite good, with my favorite releases being by Lobi Traore, Zani Diabate and Madou Diabate (kora).

The Zani Diabate  is an acoustic guitar duo recording with Moudy Sissoko, and vocals from Oumou Diabate. It was recorded in February of 2005, in Abdoul Doumbia's family compound in Bamako. (Not his last recording, I was mistaken on that point.) Very good one.

Moving on to Lobi Traore, Bwati Kono (Raw Electic Blues from Bamako) is a live recording recorded in 2007 and 2008 at two music venues in Bamako. Indoors at Espace Academie and outdoors at "Hotel.' This is with his working band (bass guitar, drums, rhythm guitar, djembe, and balaphon on a few tracks. This is a great album, perhaps not quite as intense as Bamako Nights. This was on CD and then an LP was released with part of the material; I was hoping for a volume 2 with extra tracks but the label failed soon thereafter.

Barra Coura is another acoustic guitar duo recording from February 2006, recorded in the same location as the Zani Diabate. Also very good. Lamine Soumano is the second guitarist. One track adds Adama Couloubaly on Bolon.

Bamako Nights is on Glitterbeat, recorded live in 1995 by Yves Werner. The band is Alou Dembele, bass, Binke Traore, bass, Yaya Dembele, djembe, and Samba Sissoko, drums. A great record.

All of these are in finely recorded sound.

Thanks very much. I'll look into getting the two I haven't already got.

MG

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Nice.  Did you make it to Columbia Road accidentally?

No. I was unfortunately in the neighborhood of UCLH so popped into HJ East. A much smaller jazz section at the moment, but some good stuff still, including a copy of For Alto in good knick for £30, which I didn't get as I already have it.

16 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

No. I was unfortunately in the neighborhood of UCLH so popped into HJ East. A much smaller jazz section at the moment, but some good stuff still, including a copy of For Alto in good knick for £30, which I didn't get as I already have it.

I don't have it....hmm. 

Hope UCLH did their magic, they tend to in my experience

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I don't have it....hmm. 

£30 is cheaper than I'd seen it. I didn't check the vinyl itself but the sleeve was in good condition. Just saying.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Hope UCLH did their magic, they tend to in my experience

All fine, thanks. The now-not-so-toddler has baby asthma and sometimes things get a bit hairy. He's okay now though. He got an ice cream and I got a Julius Hemphill record.

Edited by Rabshakeh

5 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

£30 is cheaper than I'd seen it. I didn't check the vinyl itself but the sleeve was in good condition. Just saying.

All fine, thanks. The now-not-so-toddler has baby asthma and sometimes things get a bit hairy. He's okay now though. He got an ice cream and I got a Julius Hemphill record.

Ice cream, Hemphill, all good then

Mujician: 10 10 10 - last recorded concert from 10/10/2010

Judson Trio with Joelle Leandre, Mat Maneri & Gerald Cleaver 2 CD set “Light and Dance” on Rogue Art. Disc 1 live & Disc 2 recorded in studio / in France January 2020 right before the pandemic changed the world.

former sounds good but maybe a bit down from their peak in the mid to late 90’s 

latter is incredible - lots of mesmerizing subtle abstract improvising care of three of the greatest living improvisors

Edited by Steve Reynolds

14 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Mujician: 10 10 10 - last recorded concert from 10/10/2010

Judson Trio with Joelle Leandre, Mat Maneri & Gerald Cleaver 2 CD set “Light and Dance” on Rogue Art. Disc 1 live & Disc 2 recorded in studio / in France January 2020 right before the pandemic changed the world.

former sounds good but maybe a bit down from their peak in the mid to late 90’s 

latter is incredible - lots of mesmerizing subtle abstract improvising care of three of the greatest living improvisors

Thanks for the heads up, I had completely missed that Mujician release, I'd like to give it a shot. Cuneiform's advertising & distribution is miserable.

I actually had the Judson Trio studio disc on the night before last for the second time. Lots of absorb on both sessions, but very strong musicianship on display. It's nice having a record like this that's worth returning to and listening to more intently; doesn't happen a lot these days. 

Found a few more of Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey's albums on sale in Amazon; got five :)

Ara nbada owo oje - Decca (West Africa) 1972

Ara Nbada Owo Oje

Inter Reformers - Decca (West Africa) 1974

Inter Reformers

Special release for HRM Oba Michael Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo - Obey 2013

Hrm, Oba Michael Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo, Pt. 2

Special Release for Otunba Dr. Alex Adetola Banjo @ 70 - Obey 2020

Special Release for Otunba Dr. Alex Adetola Banjo @ 70 Obey 005

Special Release for Rev Mother Esther Abimbola Ajayi - Obey 2020

Ore Ofa Sa

I loves me some Ebenezer Obey!

Also got two tracks there to complete

Tabu Ley Rochereau - Seigneur Ley on tour - Isa 1978

Seigneur Ley on Tour

MG

Also got two compilations of material recorded for AMC in the nineties by Sekouba Kandia Kouyate (who is Kouyate Sory Kandia's son).

Sekouba Kandia Kouyaté

Classic Vol 2

Not cheap at a tenner a go and I've already got most of it on the original K7s, but there's a bit that's new to me. And there's a lot of music there!

MG

Got a big bunch over the last 24 hours.

Tam Tam 2000 - Tchico Branco - Syllart 1983

R-2787417-1301020099.jpeg.jpg

Tam Tam 2000 - Symbiose - Syllart 1987

R-2519294-1520933559-6442.jpeg.jpg

Sam Mangwana - Megamix - Syllart 1988

R-4906541-1634072791-5053.jpeg.jpg

Kade Diawara - Djinan Mousso - DDU 1995

R-9053133-1473950665-3293.jpeg.jpg

Mama Kouyate (La Biche du Mandingue) - Dabanko - AMC Mid 90's I think

More to follow

dabanko front K7.jpg

Solo Cissokho - Alal - PCS 1995

R-13893146-1563497546-8655.jpeg.jpg

Bamba Dembele & Djoliba Percussion vols 1 & 2 - Syllart c 1986

Un moment...

syl8350-f.jpg

syl8351-f.jpg

On 09/10/2021 at 6:28 PM, mjazzg said:

Nice.  Did you make it to Columbia Road accidentally?

Unforeseeably, I found myself there today, with a record bag. 

A great shop. Some good fresh stock that you don't always see in England and lots of Japanese stuff (although a little too Watanabe heavy for me). I plugged some fairly basic holes in my collection that I've wanted to fill for a while.

Apparently they have a turnover of stock in November some time. 

Lot of CDs at a library sale for $1 each:

Dinah Washington's "Dinah Jams"

Mark Turner's "In this World"

Scott Hamilton's "Back in New York" (surprisingly -- to me that is -- good, from 2005.)

Freddie Hubbard's "Red Clay" (have had the LP for years but there's an added track on the CD)

Mel Torme/Marty Paich Dektette  "Reunion"

Mel Torme with the Meltones "Back in Town" (solos from Art Pepper)

Jim Hall "Dialogues"

Ella Fitzgerald "The Intimate Ella" w. Paul Smith

Village Vanguard Live Sessions 1,2 & 3 (Sonny Lester stuff, w/ Dizzy, P. Adams, Jones-Lewis band, Ray Nance, etc.)

Sonny Stitt w/ Oscar Peterson Trio

Rachmaninov Concerti 2&3 -- Horacio Gutierrez/ Lorin Maazel

Satie piano music -- Mari Tsuda

"Anthony Adverse" film score -- Korngold

Schoenberg "Pelleas und Melisande", Strauss "Tod und Verklarung" -- Bohm., Vienna Phil.

Beethoven 9 -- Furtwangler, Vienna Phil. 1953

Brahms 2, Beethoven, Leonore III, Grosse Fuge -- Furtwangler Vienna Phil. 

Mozart Prague, Mahler 4, Bruno Walter, Vienna Phil.

Schubert 9; Franz Schmidt, Variations on a Hussar's Song, Knappertsbusch, Vienna Phil.

The Vienna Phil stuff, all live, looks very interesting. Listened to the Walter Mahler 4, which is superb.

Earlier today, I stumbled across a bunch of inexpensive Bud Freeman LPs on a favorite Discogs seller's site.  Couldn't resist.

R-7803009-1449091023-6869.jpeg.jpg

The Compleat Bud Freeman (Monmouth Evergreen)

R-6664611-1424154982-6910.jpeg.jpg

Bud Freeman - The Joy of Sax (Chiaroscuro)
That's an ODD cover illustration, but I've heard that the music is good. ;) 

R-4808150-1498409258-3652.jpeg.jpg

Bud Freeman - Satin Doll (All Life, France)
with Georges Arvanitas (on organ!) and Pierre Michelot

R-4344886-1406221495-6183.jpeg.jpg

The Bud Freeman All-Stars featuring Shorty Baker (Prestige-Swingville/OJC)
An upgrade from emusic MP3s to vinyl 

On 10/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, EKE BBB said:

9680C952-E6EF-41C3-A290-7C07E5A1CEFB.jpeg

Would love to hear what you think of this Solal release, EKE.  

Edited by HutchFan

Matt Mitchell & Kate Gentile: Snarkhorse

6 CD set 

with various wonderful musicians such as Ben Gerstein, Brandon Seabrook, Kim Cass & Mat Maneri

I saw a version of this group in 2019 and they were incredible 

said to be all “1 bar” compositions  / I’ve listened to the first 2 discs and if you like Mitchell’s previous group recordings you will love this stuff. Lots of grist on the mill. 

Finally opted for Pure Pleasure’s LP reissue of Charles Tolliver Music Inc. ‘Live at the Loosdrecht Jazz Festival’.

Retribution for having sold my Black Lion copy to Mole Jazz for a pittance all those years ago ! 

Also threw in a ‘Live at Slugs Vol 2’.:)

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Finally opted for Pure Pleasure’s LP reissue of Charles Tolliver Music Inc. ‘Live at the Loosdrecht Jazz Festival’.

Retribution for having sold my Black Lion copy to Mole Jazz for a pittance all those years ago ! 

I've been eyeing that one too!  :tup 

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've been eyeing that one too!  :tup 

Once it arrives, I’ll post some comments about it.

The Pure Pleasure Tolliver reissues I’ve heard so far, mastered by Ray Staff, sound great. I’ll bet the originals never sounded so good.

Edited by sidewinder