What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a couple Melodiya/USSR classical LPs that were licensed & issued by Angel Records in the U.S.:

ZWc.jpeg

Prokofiev: Four Portraits From "The Gambler"; Suite from "Love For Three Oranges"; They Are Seven / Rozhdestvensky, Moscow RSO, et al
Rozhdestvensky's Prokofiev recordings are terrific.  One more to add to my collection. 

and

ZWc.jpeg

Scriabin: Sonata No. 1 in F Minor; Sonata-Fantasia No. 2 in G Sharp Minor; Fantasia in B Minor (The Complete Piano Sonatas, Album 2) / Igor Zhukov
This is music that's as beautiful as the cover is ugly!

I already have Albums 1 & 3 in Zhukov's series of Scriabin Sonatas.  So this LP completes the set.  :) 

I got in the five Trumbauer Chronogical Classics I ordered from this seller last week and am overwhelmed by the condition of them and enjoying listening to them. . . so I took her batches of Prima, Mezzrow and Tatum Chronogical Classics off their hands. I had sold an audio component so it was "funded" in a way. But I have to cool my heels a bit now. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/CDs/176984/m.html?ssPageName=&_ssn=queencitybooks&_sac=1&_sop=16

From my Sunday afternoon record store run:

New-LPs.jpg

I didn't do an especially good job of listening to 1980s vocal jazz while compiling my survey (although I did select a few).  So I'm now digging in that sandbox a bit.  Obviously, Roberta Flack and Ramsey Lewis don't fall into that category -- but they were in the dollar bin, so I grabbed 'em.

Edited by HutchFan

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I got a couple of gospel albums I've already got on LP from Amazon to save the trouble of ripping them.

Touch Me One More Time

Revival Temple Mass Choir - Touch me lord Jesus - Savoy (1986)

Prayer And Faith

Keith Pringle & the Pentacostal Community Choir - Prayer & faith - Savoy (1983)

MG

Are these favourites? They look interesting. I note they're available to stream, as much of Savoy's gospel is.

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Are these favourites? They look interesting. I note they're available to stream, as much of Savoy's gospel is.

Not top rank stuff, but very nice. For top rank choirs on Savoy, you want the Georgia Mass Choir, the Cosmopolitan Church of Prayer Choir, or the Florida Mass Choir. Donald Vails Choraleers and Rev Clay Evans with either the AARC Mass Choir or his own church choir - the Fellowship Choir - are both very, very good indeed. But you can buy gospel choirs on Savoy with the assurance that they'll be good. Also on Malaco.

Not ALL of Savoy's gospel albums are available on streaming. None of Solomon Burke's four gospel albums are on there. Only about half of James Cleveland's are there.

MG

6 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Not top rank stuff, but very nice. For top rank choirs on Savoy, you want the Georgia Mass Choir, the Cosmopolitan Church of Prayer Choir, or the Florida Mass Choir. Donald Vails Choraleers and Rev Clay Evans with either the AARC Mass Choir or his own church choir - the Fellowship Choir - are both very, very good indeed. But you can buy gospel choirs on Savoy with the assurance that they'll be good. Also on Malaco.

Not ALL of Savoy's gospel albums are available on streaming. None of Solomon Burke's four gospel albums are on there. Only about half of James Cleveland's are there.

MG

Thanks. I always see gospel records in the second hand shops, and, verily, I do covet them.