Art Ensemble of Chicago

John B

I've known for quite some time that I really need to hear some more AEC. I currently only own the Nessa box, A Jackson in Your House and a copy of Go Home.

The next three I have on my list to listen to are People In Sorrow/Les Stances A Sophie, Fanfare For The Warriors and Reese And The Smooth Ones.

I was hoping people could let me know if there are other albums of theirs that I should move higher up on my list and hear before any of those three and, in general, list which AEC albums they consider to be either "essential" or just plain amazing.

I agree with David on the ECMs. All of them (4 if I remember correctly) are very good. Also the Tribut to Lester, which was recorded few years after Bowie's death, is great (also ECM).

Agree with this statement. Also get Live at Mandel Hall.

besides all of the above, I really like a more recent disc (without Jarman) "Coming Home Jamaica"

make sure you get the most recent issue which includes a couple of strong extra Roscoe Mitchell tunes

a very blusey date with excellent sound (much better audio fidelity than the ECMs with Moye sounding as good ar better than any other AEOC disc I've heard. And Lester and Roscoe are in prime form - the band stays pretty straight and narrow for them - a real good one start to finish with one caveat - the first two tracks are probably the best things on the record - so there is a slight sense of mild dissapointent that they don't quite reach those heights besides the added longer Mitchell piece.

besides all of the above, I really like a more recent disc (without Jarman) "Coming Home Jamaica"

make sure you get the most recent issue which includes a couple of strong extra Roscoe Mitchell tunes

a very blusey date with excellent sound (much better audio fidelity than the ECMs with Moye sounding as good ar better than any other AEOC disc I've heard. And Lester and Roscoe are in prime form - the band stays pretty straight and narrow for them - a real good one start to finish with one caveat - the first two tracks are probably the best things on the record - so there is a slight sense of mild dissapointent that they don't quite reach those heights besides the added longer Mitchell piece.

I agree with every word you wrote :tup:tup

Urban Bushmen.

I've been listening to this tonight -  a magnificent set.As good as any other AEC I've heard.

I just found out that a local library has a copy of this one, so I'll be giving it a spin very soon.

I love all the ECMs a lot! Maybe "Nice Guys" is my favourite - that one track where they do the reggae thing is hilarious!

Urban Bushmen.

I've been listening to this tonight -  a magnificent set.As good as any other AEC I've heard.

I just found out that a local library has a copy of this one, so I'll be giving it a spin very soon.

I love all the ECMs a lot! Maybe "Nice Guys" is my favourite - that one track where they do the reggae thing is hilarious!

I'll dig that one out & give it a spin tonight . I bought a handful of AEC LPs a while ago on Ebay, some of which I've never given the attention to I should have . I do remember the reggae track on nice guys (is it called Jah ?).

• 5 months later...

You can search for a vinyl copy of nessa n-3, or buy a cd from Dusty Groove by the AEC in the "Americans Swinging In Paris" series called "the Pathe Sessions".  I think I mentioned this "way back".

This disc is a motherfucker alright. Both the sessions with Fontella Bass and People in Sorrow. Every release I pick up I like more than the last one! It sounds like it's a needle-drop from a record, particularly at the beginning of the first tune. Is it not from the master tapes?

Edited by GregK

Chuck Nessa Posted on Mar 27 2005, 02:08 AM

QUOTE (Clunky @ Mar 26 2005, 04:35 PM)

QUOTE (John B @ Sep 29 2004, 05:08 PM)

a copy of Go Home.

I picked up a copy of this disc, it looks like a boot with no details of date or personnel ,

any one help me with these details,?? 

Yes, the cd is a boot. The only "real" copy of the lp I ever saw belonged to Roscoe Mitchell. You can find out the details HERE. 

I picked this up the other day, not having read this thread and known it was a boot...

Great stuff! The tune 'Go Chi' is awesome...I certainly recognise it from somewhere though...Does it go by another name on the 'Live in Berlin' record, perhaps?

The AEC waltz numbers are great, though. The feel they get is just awesome.

For those of you who don't have the Nessa AEC 1967/68 box set yet True Blue is having a sale on it until April 18th:

Art Ensemble of Chicago: Art Ensemble 1967/68 (5 CDs)Regularly $79.98 Sale Priced at $64.98

The original recordings by the Roscoe Mitchell Art Ensemble with Lester Bowie and Malachi Favors as it evolved into the Art Ensemble of Chicago with Joseph Jarman. Originally issued on three LPs, this hand-numbered, limited edition set contains more than five hours of music, more than half of which is previously unissued.