BFT-31 Discussion Disc 1

tjobbe

OK - here for some initial thoughts...(And they are initial at the moment - damn if I know any themes or anything just yet..!)

1. I really liked this. Fairly standard hard bop fare, by and large, but very nicely played and arranged. The altoist has a really buoyant swing to him, and plays with attractive inflection. I want to say Cannonball, although I don't think it is. VERY familiar though. My thought process with the next solo went - 'weird trombone - valve trombone - french horn'. My knowledge being what it is, however, that doesn't help me! I don't think it was Julius Watkins. I quite liked it though. Trumpet - was it Art Farmer? Don't know the pianist, but liked his playing. Bass and drums horribly familiar - couldn't say who though. My guess? Well, I do have a track of an Oscar Pettiford group on a compilation somewhere which sounds very much like this...but then there's something in the back of my mind saying 'French' :wacko:

2. Hmmm...not so keen on this. Interesting textures with the guitars though (I think guitars come to be a bit of a theme in this test, but not sure along which organising principle). Hispanic flavour from time to time. Two names come to mind, but to my shame I know so little about each that neither's more than a hunch: Maria Schneider and Carla Bley (sounds like a slightly sub-'Liberation Music Orchestra' thing occasionally...)

3. This is growing on me, and I'd like to pick it up. I don't recognise the player, but I'm fairly confident that it's someone I don't own anything significant by. I say this because I feel I could pick him with pretty good accuracy in the future. Interesting presentation of the tune. On first listen, I thought his soloing was fairly conventional compared to the head statement, but on subsequent listens, there's somehting satisfyingly off-kilter about the playing. Nice gospel-ly feel (and I mean that beyond the obvious IV-I cadences). He voices those cadences really nicely, too. The bass and drums - well, I don't know, but they swing hard.

4. Not really to my taste, although not to say I didn't enjoy it. Some rhythmically interesting things going on here. Sounds a bit like an updated Tristano 'Turkish Mambo' with that groove going on. I like moments of the guitar playing (particularly the Flamenco touches here and there), but they are spelled by far more generic playing...No guess, though!

5. I liked this too. I don't have any particular proclivities one way or t'other with 'strings' records, but here, I think they're particularly nicely arranged. Of their time, sure, but done nicely, and I like their tone a lot. The bari player I can't pick. Bizarrely (and I noted the observation at the time, so I'm not 'projecting' after the event!), on hearing the strings, my first thought was of the wonderful Harry Carney plus strings album. In the liners there, Carney's tone is brilliantly described as cavernous. The same emphatically does not apply here. The tone is much more Lester-Young derived.

6. Leaves me a bit cold. I don't dislike it - nice bass playing; like the voice, and the piano's pretty inoffensive. The singer has listened to her Nina Simone, and also, for some reason, reminded me of Earl Coleman...But it's a bit insubstantial I think. It perhaps would work better in the context of an album, where it would be more explicitly a 'miniature'.

7. It's got a groove. The 'bone player has impressive facility for sure, and a nice tone. I really like some of his ideas (the vocalisations etc.), but this doesn't do it for me...a bit of a 'throwaway' ditty for me, I'm afraid! It was a bit like a trombonist with chops playing fever too fast. Dunno who though!

8. Very proficient drummer. This track was almost the bastard son of tracks 2 and 4...And it left me feeling much the same way as track 7. Doesn't really have any architecture: it goes nowhere.

9. Satin Doll. The 4/4 is underlayed with a double time waltz feel. The pianist exploits the tensions/ambiguities of this quite nicely in places. I did feel, however, that his voicings were exceedingly generic, and his soloing wasn't particularly individual. I couldn't pick him in an ID parade...Nice playing by the rest of the rhythm section though.

10. After the first bars, I thought 'Clarinet Summit plus rhythm' or something like that...Jimmy Hamilton looms in this performance, although I couldn't say for sure if he appears. I think not, perhaps? Piano player towards the end made me cross. Swinging, but horribly unoriginal. The band was nice though - it swung for sure.

11. Stumped again here. Late Ellington informs this...I hear snippets of Gonsalves, although am almost certain it's not him. Nice tone on the trumpet. Nice use of the bow by the bassist. And the voicing is all attractive here. A nicely paced and structured performance. I like the way the drummer keeps those rimshots coming. It really keeps momentum, and prevents any of the saccharine which can attend ballad playing, especially in this feel. Nice.

12. Not for me. I'm bad like this, I confess, but that guitar sound was all I needed to think 'nooooooooooo!' to me. The bass melody I found corny almost beyond belief, and the strumming patterns of the accompaniment? Well, bass and guitar deserved each other on this track... :beee: The players show chops. The guitarist can run his scales for sure, but to my taste, it's form without substance. Actually, the chords here could, played differently, have a very attractive gospel quality, but this is smooth beyond my tolerances!

13. After the first couple of bars, I thought this was going to be an extrapolation of a phrase from 'Ride of the Valkyries' with a Louisiana 'strut' to it (nice drum intro, for sure). But it got smoother from here. I found the piano playing far too smooth and passionless for my tastes - and again, I felt like he was running scales a little. I would have thought almost a player who was classically trained. The bass and drums keep things moving nicely. Although I don't particularly go for it, a very proficient performance, and the groove doesn't quit.

14. Funny sound! Not unattractive, actually (sounds like it might have been recorded in a church?). Has an eastern European folk feel to the melody. It just seems a little directionless though...The piano player does play some ideas I really like from time to time though. I'd like to put him in a different context to hear him to full advantage, I think. I've no idea who it might be...Can I hazard a guess at maybe Paul Bley doing something strange? Don't know what to make of this track! From the slightly abrupt ending, I take it it's from a suite of some description?

15. Not for me. Guitar intro switched me off again :ph34r: Accordion/bandoneon (whatever this is) is a great instrument, but I feel that this usage is almost a little 'obvious'. I can imagine something like this track working very well if there were a little more obvious irony (or if it leaned a little more in the direction of something like the 'Very Very Circus'), but as, not something I'll be chasing up.

16. I quite like this. Difficult to know what to say...I can't pick the players, and it's fairly conventional. But, it works OK for me. Piano player I could take or leave. There's something a bit strange about the mood of this track. Don't know what, but it's spooky! Check out the weird ending...

17. Don't know. The tenor player sounds a lot like Lockjaw on occasion, but I'm not convinced. I like this! It swings a lot. Actually, as I listen...is it Lockjaw??? Does sound a LOT like him at times. Virtuoso sax section for sure. I would have liked a little more sweetness to the lead alto, but they play a great chorus. Nice arranging touch when the trombones make their entry. The drummer earns his money for sure here. It's interesting to hear the reserve with which the arranger uses the trumpets (although when they do appear, they're not too prominent in the mix as it is...) Good track.

18. Dexterity. I love this Bird tune (rhythm changes). Fantastic version by the Art Ensemble on 'Message to Our Folks'. 'Chicago' thoughts led me to think this would have been great with Braxton instead of whoever is playing bass clarinet. Or is that contrabass clarinet? I think maybe...It's a good track, but a little frustrating. I don't really feel that the soloist really digs in, nor does he seem to exploit the instrument to its full. Is this a guy who normally plays Bb clarinet 'proper'? I know one thing - from his tone, I'd probably hate him on tenor ;)

19. YES! Nice piano intro. Very familiar - sure I'll think of the player later. Hank Jones and Carl Perkins are two names at the front of my mind, but I'm not sure it's either actually. Guitarist Not too sure. Tal Farlow? JJ on trombone? It's an attractive tune. Sounds like the guitarist's group...Can't pick the tenor player, but he's very very familiar, and for the first time on this test, it's a player I've got that awful feeling I'll be mortally embarassed I haven't nailed. Going to have to come back to him.

20. Enjoyable I suppose...Not very original piano playing. Hard to dislike, on the other hand (and that's not supposed to damn with faint praise to the extent it seems!) Very 'by the book' playing though...Some nice textures in the orchestral writing. Could this be an Oliver Nelson arrangement? I know it's not his usual, but there's something about it...

Anyway, back for more later! Thanks very much for this test, Tjobbe. I didn't enjoy all of it, but I did have my horizons broadened by almost all of it. It's humbling to listen 'blindfolded', and to things I wouldn't usually put on, for which thank you! :)

Edit: just to say that perhaps the very very final cadence on track 20 gives this away as Gil Evans? The rest of the arrangement suggests maybe not, but that ending...something about it!

Edited by Red

I know three of the tunes but as for naming any of the performers I am pretty well stymied. I can only attempt a few wild guesses at best.

1. The alto player’s name hovers but won’t land. Like this one – blues – pity to fade but too long to fit?

2. Distinctive sound of the trumpet – don’t think I’ve heard it before. Another track completely unfamiliar to me I think but a novel feel to it which is appealing. No ideas.

3. Definitely finds favour here but no idea who or what.

4. Propulsive – like it – no ideas again.

5. I cannot get to like strings, however hard I try. The nearest approach for me was the Graffiti String Quartet with Michel Petrucciani on [Marvellous]. A wild guess – Claire Daly on baritone? – my favourite instrument.

6. Not keen on the vast majority of vocals and this does nothing for me.

7. Didn’t like this either.

8. Into a bad patch for me here – tedious. Guitar sound NMCOT.

9. Tune I know at last – everybody does! Satin Doll. There a sort of preponderance to the piano that reminds me of Gene Harris but far from certain.

10. No ideas – the clarinet sound rings no bells.

11. No clue.

12. The bass playing reminds me quite strongly of David Friesen. Can’t guess at the guitar. Nice track for me.

13. Better still. No ideas though.

14. Sounds a bit like Jacques Loussier – quite nice.

15. Tango – could it be Astor Piazzolla?

16. No ideas at all.

17. Ditto.

18. Bird tune which I know – good for manipulation! Bass clarinet - beautiful instrument. No guesses though.

19. Attractive tune. My favourite on the disk.

20. Turn Out the Stars of course but I don’t think it’s Bill Evans.

Ups and downs for me but a nicely varied disk, Tjobbe. Sorry I cannot contribute more to the cause. I wonder if anyone else has already come up with answers, obvious or otherwise, which I’ve missed and so will be kicking myself soon.

1. We start off in familiar territory here – the 1950’s. If this is a french horn, then might it be Julius Watkins, perhaps with Lou Donaldson on alto? As for the others, no specific names pop into my head.

2. Not a clue here. Interesting use of two trumpets. Pianist seems to be the leader. This ends so abruptly, I wonder if this might be an excerpt from a suite of some sort.

3. Another pianist doing a similar locked hands kind of thing. Can’t get a handle on who this might be. I would guess this was made in the early 1960’s, judging from the occasional churchy motif thrown in.

4. Is this a guitar???

5. A nice bari player, possibly Lars Gullin? Not thrilled with the string writing.

6. Aaaarggghh! No thanks.

7. This was fun. A nice spirited performance. Is the trombonist Albert Mangelsdorff?

8. I’m just not in touch with these contemporary guitarists, and not in any big hurry to find out who this is. NMCOT

9. Gimmicky reworking of the mother of all warhorses! Let’s move on. Is this a real piano, or just a bad digital recording?

10. Like the clarinets here. The first guy sounds a bit like Buddy DeFranco. The second is very close stylistically, and the third guy doesn’t quite have the chops of his predecessors, and reminds in places of Tony Scott.

11. It starts out very Ellingtonian. Some nice playing all around here.

12. Dammit! This tune is driving me crazy – I know it’s a pop tune from the 70’s, but I can’t come up with the title. The performance? (shrugs)

13. Neutral on this. And clueless!

14. Similar to the last track. Same comments. These vampy things get old pretty quickly for me.

15. Ah yes, the return of the bandoneon. Now this I really liked, especially after those last two meandering tracks. Some might say that this isn’t jazz, but it’s damned catchy! An off the wall guess – Astor Piazzola?

16. Some nice soulful clarinet, can’t name the player. Or anyone else.

17. Sounds like Jaws – with the Clarke-Boland band, perhaps? How can anybody not like this?

18. A Bird tune – Dexterity, maybe? A nice loose feeling on this one. I know that there are relatively few bass clarinetists out there, but I can’t name this one.

19. I’m thinking Jimmy Raney on guitar here, possibly one of his European dates?

20. This pianist has heard Mr. Evans, I would say. The rest of it is OK, not much more I can say.

Jeez, this one was pretty humbling. I’m at a loss to identify most of the musicians. I wonder if there might be some underlying theme here, like maybe, all European recordings?

Now to see if anyone else had better luck than I did!

OK I confess - I couldn't recognize anybody in this compilation and I am glad because I will learn few

new interesting performers when answers will be published. I liked all CD but few tracks I liked

most: 3,4, 8, 11, 13, 16. Gotta to listen to those artist more.

What I like most in your BFT - you didn't include any archive recordings with lot of hiss and missing treble and bass (sorry vinyl folks - I always skip needle-drops in BFT's). Your compilation should be considered as BFT standard.

Andrew

Okay, here are my guesses for disc 1, written while I listen the third time, without peaking or using other sources than my brain ...

Track 1: Could be some Shorty Rogers unit or the Lighthouse All Stars, certainly a Californian group. This has to be listened to at full volume to get the vibe of this band - Stan Levey at the drums? That short fadeout is strange .....

Track 2: If you had used this as opener it would have been the perfect continuation after Catesta's trumpet feast closer ... Great track, but I have no idea who this is. Distant cousin of Woody 'n You - those folksy(?) chords in the piano remind me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. Very interesting, restless and projecting fun at the same time. I would have liked some short trumpet exchanges. Too short, definitely.

Track 3: Those somewhat dissonant chords in the left hand are intentional, methinks, I take it at his attemt at breathing some new life into the Horace Silver / Ray Bryant lineage of piano playing, but I find it a little disjointed, and the closing is too abrupt.

Track 4: Sounds like a reincarnation of Bola Sete filtered through Ralph Towner and gone progressive. This is something I would buy. Busy but meaningful and an integrated trio for sure - they listen to each other, the momentum is great. My favourite track so far.

Track 5: The strings opening made me curious about what or who would follow. Was surprised it was a Mulliganesque baritone - I don't think it's Gerry, I'd rather guess some Prestonite tenor switching to baritone. Nice, but somehow this is you perfect example of a three-star-track.

Track 6: OOOOH!!! This is the type of warm, low-register black female voice that gives me the goosebumps. Jeanne Lee type voice, but this is much to earthy and folksy for her. Wonder who that is. Excellent choice. I'll probably tap my head when I read her name. Great acompanists for her. I can't wait to learn who this is!!! A perfect track!

Track 7: Great witty references to Duke's It Don't Mean A Thing and Birk's Works along the way. Another great track. This player knows his jazz history and is very creative. Yeah. Is this a French horn? Oh my God, another one for the bulging want list ....

Track 8: Almost ECM-ish in sound, especially the way the drums are recorded. European guys? Guitar has some Scofield traits, but some of Terje Rypdal as well, without being as extreme as either one of these. Mr. Bassman wil love this, he plays with a guitarist in that style. Whos is this? Would like to hear more of this trio before I give a judgment.

Track 9: That's less my cup o' tea - don't like the piano sound and his hard insensitive attack. His left is hand isn't really connected to his right, rhythmically. Just feeding chords in places not totally controlled rhythmically is not to my taste.

Track 10: Two very competent clarinettists - didn't expect it to be a big band track. No idea. Nice, but not a must buy for me - though I like the slightly darker tone of the second soloist very much. Some German radio big band?

Track 11: I know that theme!!! Arrgh! The fragility of the fluegelhorn sound is very attractive, and the instrumentation with the bowing in the theme is very nice. Another favourite!

Track 12: tjobbe is very well versed in modern guitar stylings, it seems. I have to admit that strumming gets on my nerves after a while, and the bassist doesn't thrill me - too clean, overall. I like it a little more raw - although that again folksy innocence is somewhat appealing.

Track 13: Starts out in a very interesting way. One of these modern piano trios from the Northern European world? Heavy Eddie Gomez influence in the bass solo. In the long run, I find all these Bill Evans derived piano trios a dead end street just like that Lovano et al. tenor lineage ......

Track 14: Hmmm ..... has the theme something to do with folk roots of the thematic material used in the tracks you chose? I know you are interested in these - but I never heard Jan Johannsen except for that Pettiford session .... Nice but too short.

Track 15: Accordion? I don't know the current recordings of the practitioners of this box - but this is a very competent exponent. Still, not something I would buy.

Track 16: I love that low ringing bass drum! That's the way these things should sound, not just a dead kick. Don't like the rather high colour of the clarinet and the chords the pianist chooses. But the drummer is nice. A litle too meandering for my taste.

Track 17: I am relieved: At last a track I have and instantly recognize! Anything I'd say would give it away - except that I find this is some of the greatest sax section writing ever, by a band based near the town you live in, and that they play the shit out of it! Five hundred stars!!!!

Track 18: I know the theme - one of those pieces Paul Chambers recorded with John Coltrane, the opening track on that Jazz West LP. Very nice version. Great big toned bassist - he almost quotes a Chambers original. Now that's a clarinettist I like! Not that squeaky upper register, but relaxed in the lower regions. Is this an alto clarinet? Nice to hear one of Bird's tunes on this horn. Who is this?

Track 19: Another West Coast band? Kessel on guitar? No - more like Raney. Typical Californian swing in the ryhthm section, almost too casual.Well ....

Track 20: A very beautiful arranegement in the Gil Evans lineage - even the piano playerr sounds a bit like Gil. Is this Maria Schneider's orchestra? Great choice for closers - calm, moody, enchanting.

Thanks for those challenging choices - one of the most interesting BFTs this year, for me, at least!

p.s.: Where's the Vince Guaraldi track? ;)

edited fur misbellings ... and more typos ...

Edited by mikeweil

Would like to hear more of this trio before I give a judgment.

yeah Mr. Weil.. you already have or have heard one where he plays as leader...you own/listened to a later one that I do rate higher but have therefore not chosen it <_<

Track 4: ..... My favourite track so far.

would you believe when I say I've chosen that for you :blush:

p.s.: Where's the Vince Guaraldi track? ;)

mhh, I deleted it, hasn't matched... it was Newport theme from his last re-release issued at Vince's son D&D label....

yeah Mr. Weil.. you already have or have heard one where he plays as leader...you own/listened to a later one that I do rate higher but have therefore not chosen it <_<

Hmmm .... is this our Californian Chameleon guitarist? (link)

Edited by mikeweil

no, you need to check out some one else.......

no, you need to check out some one else.......

I'm puzzled .... :( .... if you are talkin' about Rypdal: the track on Randy Hersom's BT is the only track so far I have heard :w

I will have to turn Mr. Bassman to this track, he knows more modern guitar stuff than I do.

Okay, here are my guesses for disc 1, written while I listen the third time, without peaking or using other Track 18: I know the theme - one of those pieces Paul Chambers recorded with John Coltrane, the opening track on that Jazz West LP. Very nice version. Great big toned bassist - he almost quotes a Chambers original. Now that's a clarinettist I like! Not that squeaky upper register, but relaxed in the lower regions. Is this an alto clarinet? Nice to hear one of Bird's tunes on this horn. Who is this?

Ah...alto clarinet! Could be! I did a gig with an alto clarinettist the other day and remarked to myself on the particular sound. Alto clarinet is not to bass clarinet as alto sax. is to bass sax, for example: the clarinets are much more similar in character.

I think you might be onto something here...damn if it helps me get the player, though!

I agree on the strings track. It's most certainly not Harry Carney. Incidentally, the bass clarinet tracks on that strings record are nice as well!

I agree on the strings track. It's most certainly not Harry Carney. Incidentally, the bass clarinet tracks on that strings record are nice as well!

Carney never got the recognition he deserved as a major soloist, methinks, maybe the fact that he rarely recorded as a leader played a part. Always in the shadow of Mulligan ... and this continues even in the case of the reissue of his Verve strings LP, which was added to Ben Webster's strings albums - they should have made it a CD of its own with the magnificent tracks for the Jazz Scene anthology as bonus tracks. IIRC Carney play bass clarinet only on the first track?

Carney never got the recognition he deserved as a major soloist, methinks, maybe the fact that he rarely recorded as a leader played a part. Always in the shadow of Mulligan ... and this continues even in the case of the reissue of his Verve strings LP, which was added to Ben Webster's strings albums - they should have made it a CD of its own with the magnificent tracks for the Jazz Scene anthology as bonus tracks. IIRC Carney play bass clarinet only on the first track?

You might be right about it being a single track - I forget just now (is it 'Moonlight on the Ganges', or something like that?)! I agree, it's a shame it's buried at the end of the Webster. It's programmed as a complete afterthought, when it's worth so much more.

1. Very enjoyable, but has me very puzzled. At first I was thinking, Oh yeah that's McLean in his early days. But I don't think that is even close. Trumpet has a real nice sound, but then so does the entire group.

This is a winner.

2. I hate these multiple trumpet groups. ;)

No doubt a stumper.

3. Hmmmm...., I like it.

4. Nothing I'm in to. I'll need tio give it some more listens to see if I catch on.

5. No big deal until the bari kicked in. All of a sudden it turned very sweet. There is somewhat of a west coast feel to this, so I think Mulligan, I'm but not so sure.

6. Hate to say it, but not for me.

7. That is a trombone, yes? Player is doing something with it for sure. I don't normally go for stuff like this, but I just might. I'll wait patiently for the answer.

8. I kind of dig the guitar tone. It's got almost rock feel to it. Not really something I would go for.

9. An easily recognizable tune, Satin Doll. I don't know what to say about this one. The banging of the piano keys is along the lines of Gene Harris or similar. This is so so.

10. Something from the 70's or 80's per haps even newer than that. I couldn't really pick out the clarinet soloists. Piano is swingin'.

11. Haunting.

12. Crap! What is the name of this tune?

I enjoyed the guitar more so than the bass player. Not being able to name this tune is going to drive me crazy because I feel as if I could almost tell you what the lyrics are.

13. No guess. Piano player has skills. I may want to hear more.

14. Two minutes was enough for this. :g

15. What's not to like? That's not an accordion but the other thing???....

Makes me want to drink a beer and or sip espresso while playing games.

Fun stuff. :tup

16. Now we all got all serious again.

17. This is good. Sax is flat out tearing it up. Arnett Cobb? Lockjaw Davis? Don Wilkerson?

Oh hell then the band kicks in. :unsure::w

Saxes sound great!

18. Finally grabbed me around 2:25 into it, but then it's over.

I don't care too much for the bassy clarinet, but this was not too bad.

19. This is nice, real nice. All sounding very tight. Guitarist is no doubt a stand out. :tup

20. Very pretty.

All and all a nice BFT.

Sorry for the weak responses, I am most definitely stumped. :w

Thanks for letting me play.

Edited by catesta

Got these CD-Rs rather late, as you know. Have avoided looking at the previous responses but will surely do so after I post this.

First off, for my tastes an uneven collection of pieces, but some highlights.

1) Enjoyed this big band side very much which is quite evocative of the stuff that Gigi Gryce with Clifford Brown produced back in the early ‘50s when on tour with the Lionel Hampton band in France. No guess as to personnel. Interesting quick fadeout but at least it has an ending.

2) Latin motif, trumpet player reminds me of Don Ellis. Piano is given a lot of space but doesn’t do much. Sadly, no guesses here as to personnel.

3) Piano trio that gets a nice groove going. Gee, no guesses here either but feel I should recognize the pianist.

4) Guitar with exotic percussion backing. NMCOT.

5) Much too syrupy opening for me. Baritone is a pleasant relief but in the end doesn’t do much for me either.

6) Yuk! Take it off!

7) Trombone and bass, very entertaining. Craig Harris? Liked this track.

8) Electric guitar which does very little if anything for me. One of the reasons I cannot abide any post ‘60s Miles. But back to this. Actually, I’ve got nothing to say. Again, NMCOT.

9) Oy, “Satin Doll” in a version which reminds me of one of those super hyped audio Command LPs of the ‘60s with Enoch Light in charge, pretty horrible. And much as I hate to admit this but this is one Duke tune that I never, ever cared for.

10) My passion for jazz having been spurred by listening to my dad’s Artie Shaw records when I was a kid, I especially give attention to clarinetists since that instrument has been IMO unjustly neglected in modern times. First clarinet reminds me somewhat of Rolf Kuhn, the second one while evincing some Pee Wee Russell influence, stumps me completely when it comes to just giving a guess. Liked the track though.

11) No clue, except that it sounds like a section from an Ellington suite with the metronomically boring Sam Woodyard backing up everything.

12) Guitar. Not of interest for my tastes. No guesses here.

13) While not “smooth jazz” as such, it has the same effect on me. Check that, it is a higher quality of background music but that’s all it is for me.

14) Piano and bass duo. Alright, I guess. Not something I could ever return to. Well recorded.

15) Is that a bandoneon? What else is on this album?

16) OK, clarinet again. Soulful rendition, can’t place the tune which I feel I should instantly know.

17) Has to be Lockjaw. Don’t know anyone else with that sound. Kicking!

18) “Dexterity”, right? Those Bird tunes can be tricky to identify. On bass clarinet, no less. No idea who, but enjoy listening to Bird or Monk tunes by anybody.

19) Pleasant ‘50s big band sound with Pres influenced tenor, guitarist who could be Jimmy Gourley, no other guesses here.

20) Meandering piece, doesn’t do much for me.

Wish I could have been more enthusiastic overall, but am curious about a couple of the sides on this disc. I have a feeling that I’m going to be surprised at the names that will be revealed and hope I didn’t embarrass myself with my negativity.

Track 8: Almost ECM-ish in sound, especially the way the drums are recorded. European guys? Guitar has some Scofield traits, but some of Terje Rypdal as well, without being as extreme as either one of these. Mr. Bassman will love this, he plays with a guitarist in that style. Who is this? Would like to hear more of this trio before I give a judgment.

Where's Mr. Bassman to report? :ph34r:

He told me he played the track to his guitarist friend, who is an absolute Scofield nut, and said it's not him, and liked that drummer very very much .....

Sorry about the delay in posting my 'WAG's so far but here goes:

(1) Obviously West Coast. I've heard this before - could be from the Shorty Rogers Mosaic? (need to give it a listen). Sounds like it might be Pete Jolly on piano, John Graas on french horn. If not Shorty then maybe Jack Sheldon? Don't think the altoist is Pepper - possibly Joe Maini?

(2) Trumpet intro - Enrico Rava? Sounds European anyway. Hey, there's an excerpt from the theme tune of the 1970s Roald Dahl 'Mysteries' TV show in there ( :blink: )

(3) Piano intro with mild hints of Andrew Hill and Monk. Don Pullen? Some of the keyboard riffs on there remind me of him. Possible from one of his BN trio albums?

(4) Free formish bass, drume and acoustic guitar. The drummer reminds me very much of Chico Hamilton. Sounds sort of like some of the stuff he recorded with Cary deNegris on 'Forestorn'.

(5) Baritone sax solo plus string orchestra. Very nice arrangement in a Francy Boland mold. Sahib Shihab? Or maybe Lars Gullin? Hmmm - like it though.

(6) Piano and bass plus vocal. Pleasant enough. I thought it might be Jamie Cullum but then realised it was a female voice. :D

(7) Sounds like a french horn player in an Albert Mangelsdorf vibe. Possibly John Clark? Or if not maybe Tom Varner. Certainly virtuosic.

(8) Guitarist reminds me of Kevin Eubanks but can't place the track. Could that be Dave Holland on bass and Smitty Smith on drums. Like this one !

(9) 'Satin Doll'. Pretty sure it isn't Oscar Peterson but it does have an MPS/SABA vibe to it. My guess - Horst Jankowski..

(10) Bigish band group with clarinets featured. Quite a nice arrangement in a Thad Jonesish way. Possibly Eddie Daniels featured on clarinet?

(11) Another very 'European' sounding group with what sounds like a cornet as the lead instrument. Manfred Schoof?

(12) Sort of Methenyish opening which then transitions into a bass lead. Steve Rodby? Hmmm - dunno.

(13) This reminds me very much of E.S.T - very controlled performance with definite slavic influences.

(14) Also Slavic/Scandinavian by the sound this and I've definitely heard this before. Jan Johansson on his obscure 1960s trio recording? ('Jazz pa Ungerska/Folkvisor' I think it's called).

(15) Accordion player reminds me a bit of Michel Portal but - dunno. Accordions are not really my thing !

skip for the moment to:

(17) The only 'no brainer'. The Clarke-Boland Big Band with Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davies featured on 'Sax No End' (SABA/MPS)

Thanks Tjobbe - Most enjoyable ! :)

Edited by sidewinder