Plays for Lovers

GA Russell

You will remember a thread on Concord/Fantasy's 2006 releases, which is found here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=23590&hl=2006

First up is a batch of eight compilations called Plays For Lovers, which is due out January 10.

I enjoy compilations of ballads. My favorite is a set of four CDs put out by EMI (Blue Note) called 60 Great Jazz Classics for Lovers. I picked that up at Best Buy for $20 in '95, and still play the four all the time.

In 2003, Fantasy issued its first CD batch of Plays For Lovers. I got two - Miles Davis and Barney Kessel. I enjoy the Miles. I like everything he did for Prestige during the 1954-56 period. I was disappointed in the Kessel. Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I just don't like the guy as much as others do.

On Jan. 10, the Miles and Coltrane discs will be reissued, along with Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughan, Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck, Chet Baker and Bill Evans.

Tonight I went to the CD Universe website and found the Tony Bennett here:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...296673504&BAB=M

CDU's site says that the list price will be $11.98, their price will be $9.75, and their pre-order price is $8.39.

I'm going to order a number of these. When they come in, I'll report back and let you know if they are as good as I expect.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will remember a thread on Concord/Fantasy's 2006 releases, which is found here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=23590&hl=2006

First up is a batch of eight compilations called Plays For Lovers, which is due out January 10.

I enjoy compilations of ballads. My favorite is a set of four CDs put out by EMI (Blue Note) called 60 Great Jazz Classics for Lovers. I picked that up at Best Buy for $20 in '95, and still play the four all the time.

In 2003, Fantasy issued its first CD batch of Plays For Lovers. I got two - Miles Davis and Barney Kessel. I enjoy the Miles. I like everything he did for Prestige during the 1954-56 period. I was disappointed in the Kessel. Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I just don't like the guy as much as others do.

On Jan. 10, the Miles and Coltrane discs will be reissued, along with Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughan, Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck, Chet Baker and Bill Evans.

Tonight I went to the CD Universe website and found the Tony Bennett here:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...296673504&BAB=M

CDU's site says that the list price will be $11.98, their price will be $9.75, and their pre-order price is $8.39.

I'm going to order a number of these. When they come in, I'll report back and let you know if they are as good as I expect.

Anxiously awaiting for Concord to schedule 'Prince Lasha/Sonny Simmons Plays for Lovers' as they wring every last drop out of the Prestige/Riverside/Contemporary catalog. No offense to GA Russell and others who enjoy this series, but it just gets frustrating to see the same material repackaged ad nauseum, where there are still some fine albums in those catalogs (Sonny Simmons - Rumasuma, Gary Bartz - Home, some McCoy Tyner sides, etc.) that still have not seen CD release 20 years on.

Edited by felser

While I have a soft spot for a good jazz ballad, I've studiously avoided purchasing any of the endlessly recycled compilation CD's that seem to have flooded the market. I think the "For Lovers" series is a sign that record companies feel they've figured out how to market jazz (if there is a way) and that's by appealing to the romantic side of their audience. You know, nothing overtly challenging...something that would allow your basic pseudo-hipster to have a little Coltrane or some Miles around to round out their collection of MOR pop. I guess any jazz is better than no jazz at all, but none of these will be insinuating themselves into my stash any time soon.

Up over and out.

Dave, the cover artwork of flowers on these suggests to me that what the company has in mind is a Valentine's Day present. Just guessing.

I can imagine there are a lot of women who already have a Kenny G album, and whose boyfriends would like to buy them somebody else for a present. If that's the case, I applaud a jazz label that seeks to introduce the smooth jazz set to some real jazz.

I remember someone here once getting off a good one about anxiously awaiting BROTZMANN PLAYS FOR BOAR-F#$%ERS. ^_^

I generally don't have anything against series like this one... they're targeted at "jazz likers," as opposed to "jazz lovers" (ironically enough... and the vast majority of the folks here are "jazz lovers"). Granted, the whole concept was really generated by Jackie Gleason's "mood music" albums, but that led to some good things... like Prestige's Moodsville series. Anyways, if this is how Miles or Brubeck make their way into people's homes, so be it. Better them than the G-Man! :ph34r:

I see that the Miles, Coltrane and Kessel are still available from Your Music. Here's the link to the Miles:

http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/album/Mile...e=SEARCH_ALBUMS

As I said above, I enjoy this one. I have all but the earliest Miles on Prestige, so there were no surprises here. I don't really expect surprises on a ballads compilation.

For $5.99, it's money well spent to give to your significant other. I gave it to my girl friend, and she enjoys it as well.

Last night I spent the evening listening to the Miles and the Kessel, and confirmed my feelings about both.

I needn't say more about the Miles, except to point out that 8 of the 12 songs are by The First Quintet.

I really like a few of the Kessel tracks, such as You Go to My Head and I'm Through with Love, but most of the album I can't get excited about. I suppose it would be okay for $5.99 if nothing in your queue strikes your fancy one month.

Here's the Your Music link for the Barney Kessel:

http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/album/Barn...e=SEARCH_ALBUMS

There is also a "Blue Mitchell Plays For Lovers" (RCD-6201-2) in this series. starting of with "The Nearness of You" .. and going from there. These are all Riverside recordings .... I know this becaise up until they were sold to Concord, Fantasy used to send me freebies of all their new releases (not the OJC reissue series unfortunately!) This was a legacy from the days when I had my radio show here in Houston. I have ALL of these compilations, and will wait for the day when a complete set can command an enormous price on eBay!.

Anyone out there interested?

Last night I spent the evening listening to the Miles and the Kessel, and confirmed my feelings about both.

I needn't say more about the Miles, except to point out that 8 of the 12 songs are by The First Quintet.

I really like a few of the Kessel tracks, such as You Go to My Head and I'm Through with Love, but most of the album I can't get excited about. I suppose it would be okay for $5.99 if nothing in your queue strikes your fancy one month.

Here's the Your Music link for the Barney Kessel:

http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/album/Barn...e=SEARCH_ALBUMS

• 3 weeks later...

My bundle has arrived. I've been thinking about Ghost's insight regarding jazz lovers and jazz likers, and I've decided to comment on the albums I've received with the two groups in mind. I'm going to assume that you are the jazz lover, and your Valentine is a jazz liker.

First up...Dave Brubeck Plays For Lovers.

This has 11 songs, totalling 52 minutes. Nine were recorded for Fantasy in the 50s, and two for Concord in the 80s. [edit: Ten of the eleven songs are standards. The tracks are taken from seven different albums.]

If you are not familiar with Brubeck's work for Fantasy, I can recommend Jazz at Oberlin and Jazz at the College of the Pacific. I got both from BMG, but they are not available from them anymore.

Of the nine Fantasy tracks, only three feature Paul Desmond. The other six are solo piano. I think this was a mistake. Brubeck's touch on the keyboard is not romantic.

I think your Valentine will consider the music to be too dry to enjoy. I think you will find it boring.

I'm sure that I will play this album from time to time, but I consider it to be a disappointment.

Edited by GA Russell

By the way, when I visited the CD Universe website the week before last, located in the prime spot (top row, upper left) of the featured albums on the site's main page was Tony Bennett Sings For Lovers.

I assume that the record companies pay to have their albums featured there, as I know that they pay Borders to have their CDs placed on the endcaps and in the listening posts. So it's nice to see that Concord is putting a little promotional money behind this series.

Next up...Bill Evans Plays for Lovers.

For me the quality of Bill Evans' work was a straight line downhill. I love his Riversides; I like his Verves; and his Fantasies don't grab me. Fortunately, Plays for Lovers is 52 minutes of Riverside material.

There are 11 songs, taken from 8 albums. Six of the songs are by the LaFaro Motian trio. Four are other trios, and one is solo piano. Every song is a standard, if you include Blue in Green.

This is an excellent album. I recommend that you buy it for yourself unless you plan to get the albums the songs came from. I believe that all of Evans' Riverside albums are available as OJCs.

Evans maintained a consistent mood throughout the 60s, and I can't say that this album is any better than any of his other Riversides. Like all of his Riverside work, it's a little on the dry side.

For that reason, I would say that as far as giving this to your Valentine goes, if she already likes jazz and is ready to move up I would definitely recommend this. But if she is a newbie who doesn't yet have a passion for jazz, this might be too dry for her.

edit for spelling

Edited by GA Russell

No offense to GA Russell and others who enjoy this series, but it just gets frustrating to see the same material repackaged ad nauseum, where there are still some fine albums in those catalogs (Sonny Simmons - Rumasuma, Gary Bartz - Home, some McCoy Tyner sides, etc.) that still have not seen CD release 20 years on.

I agree with this, and I don't like the idea of encouraging the labels to continue with these "PFL" packages. Most of us have sizeable collections already, and if we want a ballad compilation for any reason, it's easy enough to create our own. That's another thing that's always bugged me about compilations- they rarely choose the tracks I would have chosen.

To each their own...

Chet Baker Plays for Lovers is a perfect gift for a Valentine who doesn't have any jazz in her collection.

There are eleven tracks, totalling 52 minutes. At least ten of the eleven songs are standards (I'm not familiar with a song called Lonely Star.). The cuts are taken from six different albums.

Two tracks are taken from the Mulligan Quartet's first recording date (for Fantasy in January of '53), including the hit which put Baker on the map, My Funny Valentine. Seven are taken from Riverside dates of the late 50s. And two are from the 1965 marathon session recorded for Prestige. Three of the Riverside cuts are vocals.

There's not a bad selection in the bunch, although I can understand those who don't like his singing. However, 52 minutes of melancholia can be a little too much. There is nothing here which would alienate your Valentine, and much which would appeal to her.

As for yourself, I recommend that you first get the Mulligan Fantasy date for its historical significance. After that, you might find this set particularly enjoyable on Sunday afternoons when you want to enjoy some quiet time.

edit for typo

Edited by GA Russell

Am I the only who feels like this should be an extended April Fool's joke?

Chet Baker plays for lovers? No offense, GA, but you sound like an A&R or spam guy. I cant really imaging anyone on a board like this buying these sorts of cds.

I don't think Concord is really selling this to "us" anyway. Sure, if you're lucky enough to have a SO who could make a compilation with, like, Sunny Murray's rendition of "This Nearly Was Mine" (great!!!) or something, then it's unnecessary to buy these things. And yeah, most people don't really move on to the entire Miles Prestige collection after buying a PFL. But at least it's getting some good music out there - nothing on these collections is bad stuff, it's just not what we would choose. That's different. I bought my (now ex-) girlfriend Destination Out because I knew she would enjoy "Love and Hate," and that was the first of several jazz CDs she got in her collection. But the music on that Jackie Mc record is no better or worse than Coltrane's Ballads or even Brubeck and Desmond gettin' mellow.

Yeah, I'd rather fuck to Archie Shepp, but that's me... just don't try and fuck to Trevor Watts. Trust me, it doesn't work.

Am I the only who feels like this should be an extended April Fool's joke?

Chet Baker plays for lovers? No offense, GA, but you sound like an A&R or spam guy. I cant really imaging anyone on a board like this buying these sorts of cds.

md, so far this thread has received 361 views, so I can't be the only guy here who enjoys ballads compilations.

Besides, 50s jazz is my favorite jazz, and Prestige and Riverside are my favorite 50s jazz labels. So I'm going to be predisposed to be interested to see what Concord does with the material they have purchased.

When I get a CD that is hot off the press, I enjoy sharing my views about it, and all comments are welcome. Isn't that what a jazz discussion board is all about?