AOTW, Nov 21st - 27th

sidewinder

Noticing that Bobby H had not featured to date in 'AOTW' and of the opinion that this is a very under-rated Hutcherson session that should be in permanent print, here it is....

d0989499074.jpg

I think the last time this one was put out by Blue Note was as a 'Collectors Choice' issue back in the mid 1990s, since then it's quite hard to find and has yet to be put out as a Conn or RVG. Absolutely wonderful quartet with Herbie Hancock, Albert Stinson and Joe Chambers that is stylistically quite similar to the equally fine 'Happenings'. When I first heard this one, apart from the stunning empathy between Hutch and Hancock, the rock solid and inventive bass playing from the late Albert Stinson really stood out. Joe Chambers is his usual majesterial self (both on drums and as composer ).

PS - If anyone has got a good vinyl copy of the King LP for this one for sale let me know.. :g

Also realising that 'Oblique' is currently OOP I suggest that comments relating to other Hutcherson albums of this vintage ('Components, Happenings', 'Dialogue') are also very much welcome.

Edited by sidewinder

I've always been bemused by the fact that a session as great as this one was held in the can by Alfred Lion all those years until those enlightened guys at King put it out on vinyl around 15 years after it was recorded. I guess there was just too much Bobby Hutcherson material in the release pipeline at the time.

Saw this used about a year or so ago. Didn't pick it up. Been kicking myself ever since!!! :(

Did exactly the same when it first came out, then searched high and low for several years. My local store at the time (an A&B Sound in Canada) had the (then hot off the press) Collectors Choice issues in the rack and first time round I had to double-check that it was indeed 'Oblique'. Didn't hang around that time, just wish I'd bought 10 ! ^_^

Edited by sidewinder

My "Oblique" CD has the date 1990 at the bottom. It says that "this album was previously issued only in Japan." It was recorded in 1967 by RVG and sounds pretty damn good for a Ron McMaster digital transfer of that vintage. Of course, it's the remarkable program of music on the disk that I've been so enamored with.

Hutcherson, Hancock, and Chambers had teamed up before on the classic "Components" and in the fine quartet (with Cranshaw) on "Happenings". It's hard to choose between "Oblique" and "Happenings"; I think I play "Oblique" even more than the other quartet recording because of of Albert Stinson's rare and unique voice on bass, and I always like those Chambers compositions.

Yes, a huge oversight. I wonder if this session might have been adversely impacted by the Liberty take-over and Alfred Lion's retirement? Incredible that it was just forgotten about. I'd probably give it the slight edge on 'Happenings' as well, and 'Happenings' is one of my desert island disks !

Incidentally the original King LP was release was GXF 3061 from 1979. Cover art by K. Abe. The guy that did 'Pisces', 'Tippin' the Scales' etc. I don't think they lasted long in the UK shops...whatever few random import copies managed to breach this citadel that is.

Edited by sidewinder

Mine's a King vinyl. Great to be spurred on to play this one again and be reminded what a wonderful album this is. It starts quietly but after that it's mostly all high energy pushed on by Joe Chambers great drums. This has got to be one Hutcherson's best dates and as Sidewinder says it should be permanently inprint.

Albert Stinson? A Hutcherson regular or a sub? Whatever, he adds a lot to the date.

Great choice Sidewinder, thanks.

John - I think Stinson must have been a sub. Wasn't he part of the Coryell/Chico Hamilton bands of the vintage? A huge, pivotal sound on the bass. Too bad he passed away very young (probably not too many years after this session).

To my mind, Joe Chambers drum work is also captured beautifully on this particular recording.

Edited by sidewinder

• 8 months later...

At least they fixed the typo. <_<

Bad cover or not, this is definitely one I’m not gonna wait for yourmusic to get! :excited:

You mean Herbie HanDcock is not on this one now...well, I'm not getting it then. :cool:

Mr Handcock is on the copy that I received from Amazon UK today.