AOTW - March 20th

garthsj

I am giving everyone a "heads-up" to listen to this album over the weekend, so that we can start deliberating in earnest on Sunday.

Forgive me for selecting such an obvious album, but I am surprised that one of the seminal contributions to the development of modern jazz has not been discussed before. This is an album that should be in every collection, so I am hoping that we will have a lively discussion of its strengths and weaknesses, and NOT all just a paean to this icon. I will post some comments on the album made by major jazz critics, such as André Hodeir. I encourage others to find critical reviews of this album when it was first released, remembering that while these tracks were recorded in 1949 and 1950, it was only released in 1954 as a 10" album as part of the "Classics in Jazz" series on Capitol, after the initial release as a series of 78rpm singles. It was only in 1957 that the 12" album appeared, with three additional tracks, and was titled "The Birth Of The Cool" ...

So ... let the games begin ....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And please don't forget the live tracks included on the nest-to-last CD release of that album (unfortunately they did not add the live tracks to the RVG remaster, which sounds great). They throw a very interesting light on this music. (And are not that cool art all!)

2434945502.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

My first impression of the album way back when (c. 1955, for me, I think), and one of the most startling moments in my life as a listener, was the opening phrase of Gil Evans' arrangement of "Boplicity," in particular the magical rhythmic taffy pull that places the utterly unexpected kind of weight it does on each of the first four notes. I suppose you could say it was '30s Lester Young thinking made orchestral, but that it was orchestral somehow made it different --- so beautiful and (in my experience over the years) never less than strange; I felt that first time as though I were stepping into an alternate universe and still feel that way now. Maybe, the "coolest" piece on the album, along with "Moon Dreams," it exemplifies one of the key aspects of the cool sensibility at its most seductive and (it could be argued) dangerous -- the belief that just the right degree and sort of detachment from the world could bring peace, relief, and enlightenment. (Interesting, BTW, to compare the way the original band plays that passage on "Boplicity" to the way Mulligan's crew plays it on that GRP album of the "Birth of the Cool" charts -- as I recall, that eerie step-slide glide feel is missing on the GRP performance, though perhaps, as with much else on the GRP album that feels different from the original, this was a matter of choice.)

Still working on this one after all these years. Other than the Gil charts, I tend to respect it and appreciate it more than love it. But the love grows every year, if only slightly, so I keep listening.

Now as for the black/white thing mentioned by Chuck, that is indeed a major and meaty point for consideration.

"Israel" probably is the most ambitious and successfully ambitous (everything works like gangbusters) piece on the album, but its muscularity, emotional weight, and reliance on line more than color makes it a bit oblique to most of the other pieces. In sensibility, it's not really a cool piece at all. Interesting, too, that Carisi's mid-1950s RCA recasting of "Israel" for a different instrumentation is at least as good -- a further sign that it was a much less color-dependent work than the other "Birth of the Cool" pieces.

Well now, talk about ambitious, and I go to "Moon Dreams". The ending always stood out to/fascinated me, but while rummaging through my parent's old RCA box of the Glen Miller AAFB stuff a few years ago, I was shocked/delighted to find a version of "Moon Dreams", a vocal by Johnny Desmond (and a great one at that). Hearing that song as a "song" and then comparing it to Gil's reworking of it (it's in a lower key, for one thing, and the harmonies are, not surprisingly significantly more altered) was a real eye/ear-opener.

Jim -- You are aware that, per "The Glenn Miller Story," "Moon Dreams" was written by Harry Morgan (he played Chummy McGregor).

I know what you mean about ambitous there, but Gil's "Moon Dreams," as far out and as pregant with meaning as it is at times, is still an etherealized dance band chart, while "Israel" (as Lenny Bruce might have put it) is an oil painting.

BTW, if you can, check out Meredith D'Ambrosio's recording of "Moon Dreams." She captures more of Gil's chart than you'd think would be possible.

Jim -- You are aware that, per "The Glenn Miller Story," "Moon Dreams" was written by Harry Morgan (he played Chummy McGregor).

You mean the other way around, right? Or were you kidding? I'm procrastinating leaving for work and am in a transitional state of reality percepttion right now, and can't really tell for sure...

This wasn't "The Glenn Miller Story", btw this was the Miller Army Air Force Band. An pretty darn interesting outfit at times, if only at times...

But yeah, I knew that. Somewhere here (I think it's here), there's a thread I started (and got some great info from) about the origins of "Moon Beams", including the positing the possibility that Gil might have heard this seeminigly obscure sonf while in tha Army, on a Miller AAFB broadcast. Seems that Margaret Whiting had recorded it as well, iirc.

Still the highlight of the collection for me, that and "Godchild", but like I said, the others are slowly but surely growing on me. Why it's taking so long, I'll probably have to wait until later to post about, becuase right now, I gotta run.

Just for quick review, the arrangers:

Gil Evans (Boplicity, Moon Dreams, Theme)

Gerry Mulligan (Jeru, Godchild, Deception, Venus De Milo, Rocker, Darn That Dream)

John Lewis (Budo, Move, Rouge, S'il Vous Plait, Why Do I Love You)

John Carisi (Israel)

I think it's interesting that people tend to think of this as mostly a Gil project (as far as the writing) when in fact he only arranged three of the tunes. I do think it was a Gil project inasmuch as these guys were constantly hanging out at Gil's place talking about the music, the instrumentation possibilities etc. with Gil assuming his svengali role (I would have loved to have been at some of those hangs!). IMHO the idea to use french horn and tuba very likely came at least in part from the time he spent in Thornhill's band and the sounds he was hearing there. I think anyone who enjoys BOTC should follow up by listening to Gil's Thornhill charts, especially Yardbird Suite, Anthropology and Donna Lee. It's amazing the degree to which he assimilated and personalized (Gil-ified) the bebop style when these tunes hadn't been around all that long. We've had decades to analyze these tunes and IMHO no one since has done any arrangements of those three Bird tunes that hold a candle to Gil's versions.

And Carisi's chart on Israel is a classic! I never tire of listening to it and use it as a model of contrapuntal writing for my arranging classes. Larry, you describe that piece perfectly! :g

Are there full scores available for all the BOTC charts?? I know there are transcriptions of the individual pieces available, but has anyone combined them into a book yet?

Yes, I'm kidding. Chummy McGregor wrote "Moon Dreams," Harry Morgan played him in the movie.

Now that I'm thinking of it, in the Artie Shaw biopic I'm imagining, who should we cast as Dodo Marmarosa? I think the scene where Dodo pushes a grand piano off a balcony to see what kind of sound it makes when it lands would be a natural. But, please, not Sean Penn.

but seriously - I'm glad Carisi came up here- somewhere I have a trasncribed interview with him (I got to know him a little bit in the 1980s) - interesting guy, great writer/arranger, forward looking and very opinionated - hated all post-'60-s free jazz - I would recommended Angor Wat as well - (unsure of spelling) -

Absolutely there is a book of all the scores - it's one of the masterpieces that every musician should have. Jeff Sultanof prepared it using the original parts (long thought to be lost). It even includes stuff that was in the band's repertoire but was never recorded.

http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?...nd=E&catcode=06

Mike

Do we want to discuss the black/white conflicts implicit in this date?  It is a huge question with resonance continuing today.

I'm interested in what you (and others) have to say about this, Chuck....

YES PLEASE, Chuck... do initiate a discussion of this aspect of these recordings ....

Also, would some of you like to comment on the various reissues/remakes of this album ... including the version with Phil Woods doing the Konitz parts (which I think illustrates in a very substantial way just how important Konitz's role was in the making of the original recordings).

Finally, I think that we need an "Ashley Kahninization" of this whole enterprise ... not necessarily in that style, but a social/cultural history of the project considering its importance in the history of modern jazz. As an historian I wish that I was equipped musically to undertake that ... but .... Mike Fitzgerald ... What are the chances of bringing this off as a project, considering that most of the key players are no longer with us?

Edited by garthsj

There's been quite a bit written about this and fortunately, I think the major figures did speak on the subject at one time or another. It would be just a matter of compiling this existing stuff into a "Birth Of The Cool Reader".

The right person for this would be Jeff Sultanof. He knows more about the stuff than anyone I know of. I believe he's putting an article together for the Annual Review of Jazz Studies, but it's primarily on what he did to publish the scores - but it will be a must-read, and I'm sure there will be some background history of the group and the tunes.

Mike