Tatum/Webster Quartet

i have their version of all the things you are on the time/life comp. (taken as a ballad- probably the nicest version of them all)-- and tonite another tatum webster song was used in a movie i saw from '80 called 'they all laughed' (starring audrey hepburn, john ritter and patty hansen)--anyways- can someone in the know tell me if theres a full cd of Tatum/Webster's band thats in print which i can pick up? also any session info would be great-- many thanks!

The Tatum Group Masterpieces, Vol.8 - Pablo CD 2405431

Recorded in Los Angeles on September 11, 1956

Personnel:

Ben Webster - tenor saxophone

Art Tatum - piano

Red Callender - bass

Bill Douglass - drums

Tracks:

Gone with the Wind

All the Things You Are

Have You Met Miss Jones

My One and Only Love

Night and Day

My Ideal

Where Or When

Gone with the Wind (alternate take)

Gone with the Wind (alternate take)

Have You Met Miss Jones (alternate take)

Available from CDUniverse and other stores.

Edited by J.A.W.

The XRCD of this date is one of the best-sounding CDs ever made. It comes out of my speakers like I'm there. I also picked up a 24 bit-96 kHz DVD-Audio version on an expensive Japanese import and it sounds very similar to the XRCD.

BTW, the Pablo CD says "Stereo" but to my ears, it sounds mono. If it's stereo, it's not panned very much. Was Granz experimenting with stereo in 1956?

Kevin

do any tatum live concert/club recordings exist?

Verve did an excellent 2CD collection called 20th Century Piano Genius. It's a collection of home recordings, before a small, attentive audience, done in Hollywood in 1950 and 1955. The sound is very good.

Edited by Hank

BTW, the Pablo CD says "Stereo" but to my ears, it sounds mono. If it's stereo, it's not panned very much. Was Granz experimenting with stereo in 1956?

It's not stereo. If the individual disc is mono, that would be an improvement over the box, which is rechanneled stereo, perpetrated by Pablo in the 1970's, and carried over by Fantasy when they issued the CD version. :(

Verve did an excellent 2CD collection called 20th Century Piano Genius. It's a collection of home recordings, before a small, attentive audience, done in Hollywood in 1950 and 1955. The sound is very good.

Yes, yes, yes. Great stuff.

The Tatum/Webster session is justifiably included on almost every top 100 best jazz recordings lists I've ever seen. There's something about the combination that's perfect: Webster paraphrasing the melodies with that massive tone filling the room like a beautiful fog, providing the perfect atmosphere for Tatum's fireworks and filigree.

The Tatum/Webster session is justifiably included on almost every top 100 best jazz recordings lists I've ever seen. There's something about the combination that's perfect: Webster paraphrasing the melodies with that massive tone filling the room like a beautiful fog, providing the perfect atmosphere for Tatum's fireworks and filigree.

Word.

Word.

Just one?

I guess it never occurred to me that these sessions were all originally released on Verve. I wonder what the original LP covers looked like?

Here's one, but I have no idea if this is the original cover:

Lpmikamitakeshi%20365.jpg

Yep, that's the original cover. It was pressed originally with the "trumpeter" label but reissued with the same cover after the MGM takeover. You can get an original for about $60 on ebay in excellent condition if you're patient. The MGM copy can be had for about half of that.

One tune (My Ideal) from the Tatum/Webster album was featured on the soundtrack of Woody Allen's 1987 film 'September',

not Allen's best by far!

I wondered if anyone else remembered that! I found September difficult to sit through to the end. I thought that the prominence of the Tatum/Webster recording was by far the best thing about the film.