AotM - February 2008

WorldB3

e09386xhodf.jpg

Dave Holland

Steve Coleman

Kevin Eubanks

Marvin "Smitty" Smith

Great tunes over complex rhythms and meters with inspired playing by exceptional musicians. This is a great one to put for those that think ECM is that weird esoteric label or that Jazz died in 1968. For those that have it and forgot about this record go straight to "The Oracle" with the deliberate and precise solo's by Coleman and Eubanks (man, talk about delicious tone..) wow. If I was going to make a Dave Holland mix The Oracle goes on there with Conference Of The BIrds and the live version of Jugglers Parade off Extened Play without a second thought. The rest of the album is also great.

Dave Holland's last two drummers in Nate Smith and Billy Kilson make you forget about Marvin Smith which would be a shame because he is fantastic throughout on this. While short lived some could make an argument that this was Dave's best band.

For extra credit I tossed in the World Trio record also if you want to comment on it.

c77767fuly2.jpg

For those who play Jazz Guitar and know how hard it is to play Jazz on a acoustic should especially appreciate this one.

Edited by WorldB3

'Extensions' - one of my favourite Dave Holland albums. What a great lead-in to the album track 1 is - and a great feature for Eubanks. Dave Holland's bass playing rock solid as always and Smitty Smith adding great dynamism.

I was lucky enough to see this quintet play many of the tracks from this album back in about 1991 in Edmonton, Alberta from the back of the stage, right behind Eubanks :) . They led off with the title track that night too.

Not to forget either the excellent album cover art by ECM's Barbara Wojirsch. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Wow! I've never heard of these and they look VERY intriguing. I hope I can pick them up sometime this month.

I'm with you. Thanks for bringing the Holland disc up WB3. Definitely will track it down.

EDIT: Ordered. There's 11 reviews at amazon and they're all 5 star. One guy gave it 20 stars! I think you're onto something WB3. :tup

Edited by papsrus

All of my favorite Steve Coleman on record is his work on Dave Holland lead dates...

...and "Extensions" along with "Triplicate" are my favorites, for the same reason Sangrey states above -- more Coleman in a bigger "up front" role (without any other horns to compete with).

15 years years ago (circa 1993) -- serious as a heart attack -- "Extensions" was on my personal "top 10" list of jazz recordings for several years running. This was at a time when I'd only been listening to jazz for about 4 years at most.

Haven't listened to it in a couple years, but will dig my copy out this week for sure.

Edit: Just looking at that album cover, even two years after I've last listened to it, I can hear the heads of most of those tunes as clear as if the CD just stopped playing. Track one (whatever it's called) is something I've played probably 2 or 3 dozen times for people ("Hey, you've GOT to hear this!!"). KILLER first track!! :cool:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I bought Extensions when it was released, and I love that cool sound Steve Coleman keeps while soloing over those wild rhythmic carpets laid down underneath - great stuff, and very challenging to play. They really mastered those grooves.

"Cool fire" is an apt description for Coleman's approach here.

I have the other one too - I only wish they would have chosen greater variety of tempos on it. I love these time signatures, but find them tiring when played at the same lively tempos all the time - they show off their virtuosity, but I miss some other feelings. On the Holland, there is a very nice calmer tune.

Sorry to say I don't know the World Trio.

I had the vinyl Extensions until recently. Reluctantly I let it go - my collection is just too large to keep everything. Overall though I prefer the quintet from this period.

Edited by JohnS

• 8 months later...