CONTEST: 2008 Grey Cup

It's that time of year again! It's time for the annual Grey Cup contest.

Here are the rules:

1) Pick the winning team.

2) Pick the number of total points scored by both teams. (aka the tiebreaker)

Since approximately half of us will pick the winning team, picking the total points is necessary to win the contest. Your total points prediction must be a number which is a multiple of five (5).

The winning tiebreaker will be the one closest to the correct answer. If two are equally close, the winner will be the lower pick.

If two people pick the same thing, the first to make the pick will be the winner.

THE PRIZE: A Seventeen Dollar gift certificate from Mosaic Records. That is the equivalent of one CD of a box set.

Deadline: Sunday Nov. 23, 6:00 pm eastern.

The Grey Cup game: The Grey Cup is awarded to the world champion of what I think is the greatest game in the world, Canadian rules football. That is to say, the champion of the Canadian Football League.

This year's game will be played by the Eastern champion Montreal Alouettes and the Western champion Calgary Stampeders.

The location of the game is chosen years in advance. This year's game will be played in Montreal.

Calgary was the better team over the course of the year, but Montreal has the unusual home field advantage. How much of a home field advantage remains to be seen, however, because fans from all over Canada have bought tickets to the game because Montreal is a great city to party in.

The game's kickoff will be at 6:00 pm eastern, so that time has been designated the deadline for this contest.

You can listen to the game here:

http://www.am770chqr.com/index.aspx

Those of you in the US with cable television can watch it on the Versus channel, which is the channel that carries the NHL hockey games.

You can study the season as it has developed with the CFL thread, starting about post #100:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...mp;#entry855325

Good luck!

Here's my pick:

Montreal Alouettes, 50 points.

I'm going to go with the team I expect to be the underdog because of the home field advantage, and because I think that Montreal's quarterback Anthony Calvillo will perform better under pressure than Calgary's quarterback Henry Burris. Calvillo and Burris were the two best QBs in the league this year, and they are the two finalists for the league's Most Outstanding Player Award, which will be announced Thursday.

By the way, NFL fans will be familiar with Calgary's first-year head coach, John Hufnagel.

Is the CFL like the Arena rules with wide receivers running perpendicular to the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped? It sounds like everyone is expecting a defenseless shootout of epic proportions.

Here are the results of previous championship games

2007 - Saskatchewan Roughriders 23, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 19

2006 - B.C. Lions 25, Montreal Alouettes 14

2005 - Edmonton Eskimos 38, Montreal Alouettes 35, OT

2004 - Toronto Argonauts 27, B.C. Lions 19

2003 - Edmonton Eskimos 34, Montreal Alouettes 22

2002 - Montreal Alouettes 25, Edmonton Eskimos 16

2001 - Calgary Stampeders 27, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 19

2000 - B.C. Lions 28, Montreal Alouettes 26

1999 - Hamilton Tiger-Cats 32, Calgary Stampeders 21

1998 - Calgary Stampeders 26, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 24

1997 - Toronto Argonauts 47, Saskatchewan Roughriders 23

1996 - Toronto Argonauts 43, Edmonton Eskimos 37

1995 - Baltimore Stallions 37, Calgary Stampeders 20

1994 - B.C. Lions 26, Baltimore 23

1993 - Edmonton Eskimos 33, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 23

1992 - Calgary Stampeders 24, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 10

1991 - Toronto Argonauts 36, Calgary Stampeders 21

1990 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers 50, Edmonton Eskimos 11

1989 - Saskatchewan Roughriders 43, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 40

They are generally at least 40 points scored every game.

Is the CFL like the Arena rules with wide receivers running perpendicular to the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped? It sounds like everyone is expecting a defenseless shootout of epic proportions.

Here are the results of previous championship games

2007 - Saskatchewan Roughriders 23, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 19

2006 - B.C. Lions 25, Montreal Alouettes 14

2005 - Edmonton Eskimos 38, Montreal Alouettes 35, OT

2004 - Toronto Argonauts 27, B.C. Lions 19

2003 - Edmonton Eskimos 34, Montreal Alouettes 22

2002 - Montreal Alouettes 25, Edmonton Eskimos 16

2001 - Calgary Stampeders 27, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 19

2000 - B.C. Lions 28, Montreal Alouettes 26

1999 - Hamilton Tiger-Cats 32, Calgary Stampeders 21

1998 - Calgary Stampeders 26, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 24

1997 - Toronto Argonauts 47, Saskatchewan Roughriders 23

1996 - Toronto Argonauts 43, Edmonton Eskimos 37

1995 - Baltimore Stallions 37, Calgary Stampeders 20

1994 - B.C. Lions 26, Baltimore 23

1993 - Edmonton Eskimos 33, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 23

1992 - Calgary Stampeders 24, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 10

1991 - Toronto Argonauts 36, Calgary Stampeders 21

1990 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers 50, Edmonton Eskimos 11

1989 - Saskatchewan Roughriders 43, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 40

They are generally at least 40 points scored every game.

You sure about that '95 winner? I seem to recall that the Baltimore team did not have an official name, because part way through the season they were forced to drop their original name ("Colts") so they were known for the rest of the season as "CFLers", or "CFL club".

Greg and VB, in '94 their name was the Baltimore CFL Colts. The NFL sued, saying that the Indianapolis Colts owned the name. So they dropped the "Colts" midway through the season and were officially known as the Baltimore CFLs. Sportscasters in Canada referred to them as the CFLers.

I saw them that year host the Calgary Stampeders with Doug Flutie.

In the offseason, as a settlement of the NFL's lawsuit, they purchased from the NFL the name Stallions, and it was with that name that they won the Grey Cup in '95.

That was the year that Damon Allen and Reggie Pleasant came to my Grey Cup party in Atlanta.

edit for typo

Edited by GA Russell

GA, are any gambling odds available? I haven't been able to find any.

T.D., USA Today has published the point spread each year in the past, but I haven't picked up a copy this week to see.

I haven't seen any mention of the point spread in any of the articles I have read online. I have to think that Calgary is favored because they were the better team over the course of the season. But Montreal's home field advantage cannot be ignored. The game will be played at Olympic Stadium under the dome, so it should be pretty loud.