More dreaded spam from Nessa!

Around the end of the month I will have 2 new releases. The official release date (Amazon and others) is in February.

First is Charles Tyler’s Saga of the Outlaws. Members of the ensemble are Earl Cross on trumpet, Ronnie Boykins & John Ore on bass and Steve Reid on drums. This cd is only 37 minutes long but I ultimately decided adding material might distract from (what I consider) his masterpiece. I earlier tried to buy/license another title and talks broke down. We betta’ off as Lenny Bruce used to say. To compensate consumers I included some previously unpublished color pics in the 12 page booklet. If it wasn’t “one of mine”, it would still be my favorite Tyler recording. YMMV.

Second is a new remastering (24 bit) of Wadada Leo Smith’s Procession of the Great Ancestry. This is the first “nessa” issue since the earlier cd was by my English licensee, Chief. The players include Bobby Naughton on vibes, Joe Fonda on bass, Kahil El Zabar on percussion with bluesman Louis Myers, bass player Mchaka Uba and tenorist John Powell added on a couple of pieces. By my listening standards if you have a Chief copy don’t replace it unless you have a great ear for upper overtones. I felt it was worth doing but it is a small upgrade.

Contact me if interested and forgive the intrusion. Emails can be sent to nessarecords@charter.net .

NES26Lg.jpg

NES16Lg.jpg

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Boykins and Ore! two amazing bassists and interesting individuals - somewhere I have a VHS of Ore playing with Dickey Wells; Boykins worked with my friend Neloms a few times, brilliant player with the kind of old-school sound you just do not hear anymore. I sat in front of him at the old Tin Palace and thought, yow, this is how bass players used to sound -

Edited by AllenLowe

I see it is a "cut corner" promo and has some fading. If the guy had contacted me, I could have supplied a fresh cover. Probably have a few hundred around.

Which reminds me - when we do reissues of lps the covers are usually recreated from scratch, not scans of old lp jackets. In this case a new scan of the cover photo, a new scan of the "burnt paper" background and scans of the original type from the original artboards. Not important to most but the best way.

• 3 weeks later...

I notice Dusty Groove claims the Bradford/SME disc will be out in early February. I'm wondering how accurate that is, though, as DG has been way off in their estimates lately. Lots of stuff, particularly Black Saint/Soul Note, has been what they call "Delayed," often more than a month after the date they originally claim they will have it.

I love DG, but some aspects of the business drive me nuts. I wouldn't hold it against 'em except they won't let me in the store with my dog -- my wonderful, free-jazz lovin' dog. He knows better than to pee on vinyl!