Who were they?

Jazz Groove

Oh yeah! I recall a conversation between Nessa and Sangrey a few months back regarding a live recording of Bird with a BIG Sid Catlett drum solo. I can't wait to hear that! The whole story is what legends are made of.

I think Big Sid Catlett was a contemporary of Jo Jones (not Philly), Gus Johnson, Krupa, Chick Webb, et al, or in that age group anyway.

I'm not familiar with the other two.

Noone knows about Joe Guy?

Well, Joe Guy was advanced swing trumpet player (he was member of Coleman Hawkins orchestra in 1939. when Bean recorded "Body and Soul"), and one of the pioneers that take some competition at Minton's with Christian, Monk and others. He had strong relationship with Billie through 1940's, but whole thing droped, because he was nonresponsible drug addict.

Dispite all that, he was good trumpet player and he can struggle with moder harmonies. Something like Howard McGhee.

When did he died?

Bid Sid is one of my FAVORITES. He had it all, drive, flash, a great sound and he really made a band sound solid. I love to listen to him!

Joe Guy died in 1961.

Lawrence Lucie was a great rhythm guitarist; he and Everett Barksdale should get more attention I think. Here is what the All Music Guide says about Lucie:

"Mostly a nonsoloing rhythm guitarist throughout his career, Lawrence Lucie was on many important recording sessions and had a lengthy playing career. As a child he learned banjo, mandolin and violin, playing with a family band at dances. After moving to New York, he studied banjo at the Brooklyn Conservatory but immediately became a guitarist when he started playing professionally. Lucie performed with the orchestras of Duke Ellington (briefly in 1932), Benny Carter (1932-34), Fletcher Henderson (1934), the Mills Blue Rhythm Band (1934-36), back with Henderson (1936-39), Coleman Hawkins (1940) and Louis Armstrong (1940-44). In addition to recording with all of the above (except Ellington), Lucie was on record dates with Teddy Wilson & Billie Holiday, Spike Hughes, Putney Dandridge, Big Joe Turner, Red Allen and Jelly Roll Morton. With the end of the big band era, Lucie often worked in a quartet with his wife guitarist-singer Nora Lee King. He also gigged with Luis Russell, Louie Bellson (1959) and Cozy Cole in the 1950's and became a busy studio musician. On his own Toy label, Lawrence Lucie recorded a series of so-so easy-listening Lp's during the 1970's/80's that often featured his wife."

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...