Johnny Dyani

Late

He made two beautiful records with Abdullah Ibrahim, just the two of them. I don't know if they're the typical Dyani, probably not, but they're really nice!

"Echoes of Africa": http://www.enjarecords.com/c3047.htm

enj3047b.gif

(on Enja Winckelmann)

"Good News From Africa": http://jazzrecords.com/enja/2048.htm

2048.jpg

(on Enja Horst Weber)

ubu

(Don't ask about the Enja split, I don't know more about it. Two producers, once one, now two labels)

Some excellent suggestions so far. Among them, "Good News from Africa" and "Song for Biko" get the most play at my house.

"Witchdoctor's Son" (my personal favorite) and "Angolian Cry" are two other Dyani-led recordings that one should check out.

Other very worthwhile recordings that feature Johnny Dyani include Khan Jamal's "Dark Warrior" (with Charles Tyler too!), early Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath recordings, and a couple of remarkable sessions Dyani recorded with trumpeter Mongezi Feza and Turkish master percussionist Okay Temiz.

Another recommendation would be 3D FAMILY (David Murray is the leader).

Thanks for the reminder! 3D FAMILY is one I haven't listened to for ages, as it is hidden in a corner of my cabinet. I remember that to be an excellent session. I will get to enjoy it tomorrow!

Here's three more for you, I have these on LP only.

Born Under The Heat-Johnny Mbizo Dyani- 11-18-83

Blues Walk-Walter Davis Company-feat. Clifford Jarvis,Roy Burrowes,Johnny Dyani. 11-23-79

Detail Plus-Ness-Johnny Dyani,Frode Gjerstad, John Stevens,Bobby Bradford,Harry Beckett, and Courtney Pine. 7-1-86

Hope this helps.

Samuel