Most Excellent Dexter Gordon News

Dan Gould

Some of you may have noticed that Steeplechase has put out some previously unissued Dexter Gordon radio broadcasts from Montmartre, Wee Dot was the first, with Alti Bjorn heading the rhythm section, and just last month brought Loose Walk with Kenny Drew, Alex Riel and NHOP.

Well, I just got a copy of Loose Walk and there is terrific news in the liners:

There are a total of FIVE radio broadcasts, the remaining three to be released all feature the Drew rhythm section, and Donald Byrd sits in on the last of the shows!

No idea when these will be released, but good news, Dexaholics: There's still more unreleased Dex on the way!!!!

:tup:party:

• 2 weeks later...

And what about the new SteepleChase 8 CDs box with The Complete Trio & Quartet Studio Recordings??? Any comments on that???

Nice. Very nice.

When this came out, I was not sure I really needed that one.

Now that I have got it, I rate it as one of the best of the recent jazz boxes.

Essential for Dexter fans. Lots of additional tracks, most of them superb. The rest merely very good!

And what about the new SteepleChase 8 CDs box with The Complete Trio & Quartet Studio Recordings??? Any comments on that???

Nice. Very nice.

When this came out, I was not sure I really needed that one.

Now that I have got it, I rate it as one of the best of the recent jazz boxes.

Essential for Dexter fans. Lots of additional tracks, most of them superb. The rest merely very good!

Ditto. A nice box. With really nice liner notes.

Hmm... here are 14 possible titles that could conceiveably be included:

1960-10-13 -The Resurgence Of Dexter Gordon -Jazzland (seems unlikely, but it IS in their holdings, so...?)

1969-04-02,04 -The Tower Of Power! -Prestige

1969-04-02,04 -More Power! -Prestige

1969-05-04 -L. T. D. -Prestige

1969-05-04 -XXL -Prestige

1969-05-10 -A Day In Copenhagen -MPS (but also leased/released by Prestige)

1970-06-18 -At Montreux With Junior Mance -Prestige

1970-07-07 -The Panther -Prestige

1970-07-26 -The Chase! -Prestige

1970-08-27 -The Jumpin' Blues -Prestige

1972-06-22,28 -Tangerine -Prestige

1972-06-28 -Ca'Purange -Prestige

1972-07-22 -Generation -Prestige

1973-07-07 -Blues A La Suisse -Prestige (Only Prestige session not yet out on CD)

Still, I hope there might be some p.i. material!

I don't see why the Re-emergence date wouldn't be in the box-OJC has put it out, why would they not put it in the box set?

The webpage specifed "Prestige recordings". So, I would assume that the Jazzland date is out. But who knows...

• 3 months later...

Fantasy has revealed details on the Dexter Gordon Prestige box set: It starts off with the one live track from 1950 (Move) that was first issued on the first Wardell Gray Memorial LP, continues with the 1960 Jazzland LP, and moves on to the various Prestige LPs, inluding 17 unissued tracks ((link).

Tracklisting is on (page 2) - sorry can't copy and paste the text here, as it's a graphic file.

O.K., what's up with those two tracks (settin the pace, dexter's deck) between the "Resurgence" tracks and the "Power" tracks. They're not listed as p.i., and I'm not sure where they were released before by Prestige...?

Gotta go through the rest of this later. 17 unissued tracks... shit. I mean, OH BOY! ;)

They were on Booker Ervin albums, right?

Ahhhhh the human brain (I wonder what it would be like to have one that works). :rsly:

FWIW, here's a list of albums/tracks from my database. I haven't had a chance to do a thorough crosscheck yet...

The Tower Of Power!

montmartre,the rainbow people,stanley the steamer,those were the days

More Power!

lady bird (half nelson),meditation,fried bananas,boston bernie,sticky wicket

L. T. D.

broadway,boston bernie,in a sentimental mood,blues up and down

XXL

rhythm a ning,misty,love for sale

At Montreux With Junior Mance

fried bananas,sophisticated lady, rhythm-a-ning, body and soul,blue monk,the panther

The Panther

the panther,body and soul,valse robin,mrs. miniver,the christmas song,the blues walk

The Chase!

the chase,polka dots and moonbeams,lonesome lover blues,the happy blues,wee dot,medley: lover man,i can't get started,my funny valentine,misty

The Jumpin' Blues

evergreenish,for sentimental reasons,star eyes,rhythm a ning,if you could see me now ,the jumpin' blues

Tangerine

tangerine,august blues,what it was, the days of wine and roses,the group

Ca'Purange

ca'purange,the first time ever i saw your face,oh karen o,airegin (2 takes)

Generation

milestones,scared to be alone,we see, the group,milestones (alt.)

Blues A La Suisse

gingerbread boy,blues a la suisse,some other spring,secret love

Although it was once released on a Prestige LP, it would appear that the MPS session A DAY IN COPENHAGEN has not been included.

Nice to see some p.i. material from my favorite Dexter Prestige dates THE JUMPIN' BLUES, THE TOWER OF POWER, and MORE POWER.

Edited by Jim R