Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

697178.JPG

Music of New Orleans: The Brass Bands (Jazzology). The first recordings (1962) of the Olympia Brass Band on side one; a relatively late (1966) recording of the mighty Eureka Brass Band on side two. The Eureka side represents the only recording of all three Humphrey brothers (Percy, Willie, and Earl) playing together. And Willie's solo on "St. Louis Blues" represents the moment when I realized that he was a brilliant improviser - something more than just a good New Orleans clarinetist.

114750902.jpg

Dave "Fat Man" Williams - I Ate Up the Apple Tree (New Orleans). As Paul Secor knows, a fabulous New Orleans album. I would go so far as to say that if you don't like this one, you don't understand New Orleans music.

72 hours or so from playing two night in my favorite city, and I'm starting to taste it.

I could only find a partial scan of the cover online.

4108Q5RDDVL.jpg

Chet Baker: Chet (Riverside/Analogue Productions)

Pepper Adams' solos should have been edited out of this recording. Or, better yet, he shouldn't have been allowed to solo and just been restricted to playing backgrounds. The leader is playing music. Mr. Adams is playing notes.

Huh? Am I listening to a different recording? Pepper is just being Pepper - playing the changes the way he always does, which is a bit unique. I guess if you don't like Pepper's ballad style,,, it's not as pretty as Chet's but it's still got something going for me.

Pepper himself tells of the time he soloed in his "normal" way in Stan Kenton's band and had most of the band members thinking he didn't know what he was doing.

4108Q5RDDVL.jpg

Pepper Adams' solos should have been edited out of this recording. Or, better yet, he shouldn't have been allowed to solo and just been restricted to playing backgrounds. The leader is playing music. Mr. Adams is playing notes.

Huh? Am I listening to a different recording? Pepper is just being Pepper - playing the changes the way he always does, which is a bit unique. I guess if you don't like Pepper's ballad style,,, it's not as pretty as Chet's but it's still got something going for me.

Pepper himself tells of the time he soloed in his "normal" way in Stan Kenton's band and had most of the band members thinking he didn't know what he was doing.

We both listened to the same recording, Just with different ears and probably coming from diffrent places. Which is fine.

4108Q5RDDVL.jpg

I love Pepper Adams and don't have this recording, but I can see that not every player fits in every context. Actually these diverging opinions make me want to give this record a listen (not a seeker of Chet or Bill Evans usually).

Now:

CBBB - Now Hear Our Meanin' - (CBS UK mono)

But Brownie... I thought you had sold off all your vinyl hoard. Do you have a reserve tranche hidden away? :D

I kept a number of vinyls I had doubles of. Also dozens of LPs that did not interest the buyer at the time of the transaction (he had trouble absorbing the thousands of albums I sold him).

Did not realize they were so many of them; They will go to the same buyer when I disappear from this earth

Now spinning:

Art Blakey 'Mirage' (Savoy France)

Mirage_(Art_Blakey_album).jpg