What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Bill Hardman - Home (Muse). Another bargain bin Van Gelder pressing. These are turning out to be pretty fun - buy it for "Van Gelder" in the deadwax for a few dollars and take your chances. This one is one of the best ones yet. Never on CD either. Well worth picking up if you trip over it in some store.

64067113.jpg

ive never seen a vangelder cut as late as '88. so is the studio not being used much these last few decades? do you think after rudy passes it will become like a major studio again.

It's still being used but Rudy pretty much stopped cutting vinyl in the late 80's when most record labels dropped vinyl. I have plenty of CDs that were recorded at Rudy's place in the 90s and 00s.

Fine recording but I bought it because of Hardman, Cook, etc back when it was released. The RVG connection was at least secondary.

While I may have bought it on a whim for "Van Gelder" in the deadwax, the names certainly helped in this case. Turk Mauro & Jed Levy on the other hand... :)

I bought Turk Mauro's 'Hittin' the jug' soon after it came out (the title and Dr Lonnie's presence, you know :)) so I got 'Heavyweight' and 'Underdog' on sight. The photo of Mauro on the back of the 'Heavyweight' sleeve does seem to me to show him to be a bit of a nasty character. When I found out about the back story, several years ago, I pretty well stopped playing his albums, though they're quite good, particularly the two on Milestone produced by Bob Weinstock.

'Home' for me was a no-brainer, particularly as it was produced by Houston Person. I love that album.

MG

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images