• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is really "curate's egg" stuff or maybe just an acquired taste but made more fraustrating by lack of any credits. I have researched a bit and think the drummers were Kenny Clare and Ronnie Verrell, bass was probably Johnny Hawksworth and percussion may have been played by Edmundo Ros and Tony Corona. Who knows who else? I suspect Keith Christie on trombone and also possibly Ike Isaacs on guitar. The idea of this album was to demonstrate the amazing new sound of stereo (recorded 1961) so there are a lot of irritating cute effects but some of it isn't bad at all. Definitely worth the £1.99 I paid for it in pristine condition (not too surprised by that)!

Ted-Heath-Big-Band-Percussi-384819.jpg

R-1187008-1261224477.jpeg

The Xenakis works sound a little pedantic to me, but the two Penderecki things are sheer giddiness executed even more giddily.

I was alive and almost old enough to know about these type records when they were being made, but not yet in whatever proximity it takes to get ensnared. By the time I was, things like this were certainly heard and made an impression, I mean, these guys were Heroes Of The New Music Scene in the Composition Department, you could not NOT hear them, but the spongemind is not necessarily a discriminating one.

Not to say that it has become one, but the gulf that I hear in content between the two composers' works presented here is not one that I believe I would have heard then.

But either way - Lukas Foss..I'm beginning to think that Foss is one of those "buy on sight names", because he's been having a higher than usual "in the zone" success rate for me. For comparison, there is this:

which, ok, that's some hard shit, and I know it's guts and maybe not glamor, but dammit, the Foss/Buffalo version has a spryness to it in both tempo and execution that puts it in a whole 'nother level of "experience" (and maybe even recorded a few month earlier to boot, the Foss was). Foss has that opening section sounding like the backwards record it might have been meant to sound like. So yeah, Lukas Foss, and yeah, Buffalo Symphony.

511sla8NzKL._SX300_.jpg

Love the mad version of "Girl from Ipanema.

Yep, totally bonkers :tup

Another thumbs up for 'Girl from Ipanema'. As mad as David Luiz's defending and just as entertaining. One of the very first Jazz albums that connected with me and I suspect that track had a lot to do with it

511sla8NzKL._SX300_.jpg

Love the mad version of "Girl from Ipanema.

Yep, totally bonkers :tup

Another thumbs up for 'Girl from Ipanema'. As mad as David Luiz's defending and just as entertaining. One of the very first Jazz albums that connected with me and I suspect that track had a lot to do with it

Coming at the end of the same side as "Malcolm," there is an added cognitive dissonance-- I tend to like those!

Edited by Leeway