• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forrest Westbrook, Jim West, Paul Ruhland, Dick Wilson-----------This is their time, oh yes---------(Revelation)

Same overall instrumentation as the MJQ but with marimba more often than vibes. It has a similarly European feel to much of the proceedings which sound in large part composed. Westbrook's piano is discordant with much pummelling of the ivories giving way to tender introspection. Both he and percussionist Wilson bring something a bit different. In all fairness I can't really think of decent comparison to something more well known. Stylistically you might file it along with Paul Bley. It's more interesting than I remembered. Excellent looking vinyl is well recorded, with a nice stereo spread and plenty of crackle for added authenticity.

BLUE Frog, that's right, my bad.

I looked for years for that 45, thinking it was going to be a real "find" musically...turned out not so much, but the hunt was fun, and that 3 LP box looks great (what kind of paper/fabric is used for the cover?) and also provides an interesting context for listening. I think it goes "deeper" than any American compilation of the time because American Columbia was still kinda hesitant of the WayneHerbieRonTony quintet, like IASW & BB were like whew, thank god Miles is selling records again. But this set runs it straight on through.

Compare it to the Columbia Greatest Hits album...

Miles_Davis-Greatest_Hits-Frontal.jpg

BLUE Frog, that's right, my bad.

I looked for years for that 45, thinking it was going to be a real "find" musically...turned out not so much, but the hunt was fun, and that 3 LP box looks great (what kind of paper/fabric is used for the cover?) and also provides an interesting context for listening. I think it goes "deeper" than any American compilation of the time because American Columbia was still kinda hesitant of the WayneHerbieRonTony quintet, like IASW & BB were like whew, thank god Miles is selling records again. But this set runs it straight on through.

Compare it to the Columbia Greatest Hits album...

Miles_Davis-Greatest_Hits-Frontal.jpg

That Miles Davis box set was put out by Henri Renaud at French CBS. He put out some really fine stuff at the time and this set is not too difficult to find over here 2nd hand.

The front of the box is some sort of flock felt material. I've heard it referred to as the 'Indian restaurant flock wallpaper' box set, which is a pretty accurate description.

The 3LPs in the box are a pretty excellent and succinct summary of Miles at Columbia. One LP of the 50s band, one of Miles/Gil and the third with the transitional and Bitches Brew lineups. A classic box set.

That single LP 'Greatest Hits' also came out on UK CBS. One of the first Miles LPs I ever bought.

Edited by sidewinder

550728177a953_main.jpg

BOTTLE BREAKING HEART LEAP - John Butcher & Gino Robair

Extended techniques? Hell yeah!

I bet that's good

I'll take that bet. I love Butcher's aesthetics. I'm inclined to consider him the finest avant saxophonist on the scene these days.

WP:

R-6010337-1408739626-1641.jpeg.jpg

OpenMouthRecords#40 I Can Repay You Steve Baczkowski-baritone and tenor saxophone Bill Nace-electric guitar, loops, voice > Side A: Worn in the Grass Side B: Folded > Recorded January 11 2014 by Bill Sack Buffalo NY > 12" LP Edition of 50 Tour Only
Ecstatic, Mind bending.

R-3463025-1331365532.jpeg.jpg

The Cool Sound of Albert Collins (TCF Hall)

OMG, memories... growing up, I knew a kid my age in Kilgore, Tx that had that record.....he got it from his older brother, who was a guitarist...this was before Albert started recording for Alligator and was still very much a "cult figure"...

Does your copy have any scratches on it? My friend's copy was damn near all scratches, yet you could hear Albert and the bass player like they were right there in the speaker with you. The rest of things, not so much. But this kid lived with his granmother kinda out in the country, still in Kilgore but back off out of the way just a bit...his brother had given him a lot of records, shit I had never heard of before like Willis Jackson records with Pat Azarra, stuff like that, and they were all scratched all to hell and his record player had no pity on the records either, if you know what I mean. But dammit, they played, and few played louder or prouder through the scratches than this one...I still have memories of "Frosty" just SCREAMING right after dinner time (his grandmother cooked SERIOUS old-school meals, you didn't get bread unless you were having a sandwich, otherwise, you got cornbread), through the scratches and the screens and out onto the front porch into the almost night...probably not meaningful to anybody else, but damn, just seeing that cover took me all the way back to a whole 'nother time and place all of a sudden.

You know, those types of records were not mastered like other records. Those types of records knew what they were in for even before they were born.

R-3463025-1331365532.jpeg.jpg

The Cool Sound of Albert Collins (TCF Hall)

OMG, memories... growing up, I knew a kid my age in Kilgore, Tx that had that record.....he got it from his older brother, who was a guitarist...this was before Albert started recording for Alligator and was still very much a "cult figure"...

Does your copy have any scratches on it? My friend's copy was damn near all scratches, yet you could hear Albert and the bass player like they were right there in the speaker with you. The rest of things, not so much. But this kid lived with his granmother kinda out in the country, still in Kilgore but back off out of the way just a bit...his brother had given him a lot of records, shit I had never heard of before like Willis Jackson records with Pat Azarra, stuff like that, and they were all scratched all to hell and his record player had no pity on the records either, if you know what I mean. But dammit, they played, and few played louder or prouder through the scratches than this one...I still have memories of "Frosty" just SCREAMING right after dinner time (his grandmother cooked SERIOUS old-school meals, you didn't get bread unless you were having a sandwich, otherwise, you got cornbread), through the scratches and the screens and out onto the front porch into the almost night...probably not meaningful to anybody else, but damn, just seeing that cover took me all the way back to a whole 'nother time and place all of a sudden.

You know, those types of records were not mastered like other records. Those types of records knew what they were in for even before they were born.

My copy is near mint. I hadn't listened to it in a few years but, listening today, I know what you're saying. The record sounds ALIVE. Glad to bring back some good memories to you.

Great story.

Edited by paul secor

Enrico Rava "jazz a confronto" (Horo). Never was in a hurry to buy this title over the years but just recently found it for a cheap price. It's good but not nearly as nice as some of his Japo or ECM sessions from the same era. Typically stale Horo production values don't help.

Andrew Hill "black fire" (blue note, mono "ear" USA). For nearly 20 years dealt with an ugly dark blue 70s label issue; finally found a nice original mono copy that did not break the bank. Roy Haynes!!

Enrico Rava "jazz a confronto" (Horo). Never was in a hurry to buy this title over the years but just recently found it for a cheap price. It's good but not nearly as nice as some of his Japo or ECM sessions from the same era. Typically stale Horo production values don't help.

Andrew Hill "black fire" (blue note, mono "ear" USA). For nearly 20 years dealt with an ugly dark blue 70s label issue; finally found a nice original mono copy that did not break the bank. Roy Haynes!!

I must re listen to Rava's Horo, I recall being very impressed with it.