What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Kevin, I don't have The Turn (yet!), but the two other recordings by this band -- North (FSNT) and Pogo (Sunnyside) -- are both excellent too.

If you like those two, I would recommend picking this one up. And if you like a great sounding hunk of vinyl, contact Jerome and get yourself this 2 LP set. The extra care that was put into the sound quality shows. This is one of the best sounding new recordings on vinyl that I've heard.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kevin, I don't have The Turn (yet!), but the two other recordings by this band -- North (FSNT) and Pogo (Sunnyside) -- are both excellent too.

If you like those two, I would recommend picking this one up. And if you like a great sounding hunk of vinyl, contact Jerome and get yourself this 2 LP set. The extra care that was put into the sound quality shows. This is one of the best sounding new recordings on vinyl that I've heard.

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

sing_along_with_jfk.jpg

Side 2 features Nixon's 1962 concession speech mixed with comedy album audience effects running all the way through, and an Eisenhower speech mixed in (and under) some continuous really loud and lo-fi bowling alley noises.

The JFK stuff on Side 1 sets sampled phrases from his speeches into song settings reminiscent of the parodies that would occur on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour a few years later.

All in all, kinda "avant-garde" as far as mainstream label comedy records of the time go, especially the second side. The Ike thing is freakin' dark.

Kid-Ory-This-Kids-The-Gre-466688.jpg

Kid Ory-----This Kid's the greatest-----(Good Time Jazz/ Vogue) UK 1962 issue

Compilation of Ory's organisation (1953-1956). I've played this four or five times and it's good. :tup:w

When I was a kid and got interested in jazz, my sweet mom would bring home anything that looked like an interesting jazz album found during her junk store jaunts. She came home one day with a copy of the US Good Time Jazz issue of this, which I still have. I was so entranced by the power of Ory's playing on this; I thought, "I hope I can play like that when I'm 70."

Herbie Hancock 'Speak Like A Child' (BN French Pathe Marconi DMM)

cover_45482014122009.jpg

It should be garbage but with the phono stage having been z-foiled it sounds pretty damn good ! :huh: Time to dig out the old DMMs..

Used to have a somewhat worn Liberty gatefold, which was my dad's. I wasn't as struck by the music as I'd hoped to be.

Herbie Hancock 'Speak Like A Child' (BN French Pathe Marconi DMM)

cover_45482014122009.jpg

It should be garbage but with the phono stage having been z-foiled it sounds pretty damn good ! :huh: Time to dig out the old DMMs..

Used to have a somewhat worn Liberty gatefold, which was my dad's. I wasn't as struck by the music as I'd hoped to be.

I have the Liberty of this one as well. The DMM has sat on the shelf for years, really surprised how good it sounds. This has always been a favourite Herbie session, along with 'The Prisoner'.

Just finished: Stanley Turrentine - Blue Hour (Blue Note/Music Matters). What a great sounding record! I just love the music but Music Matters really made this the best sounding LP version I've ever heard.

81-3eQz-RwL._SL1500_.jpg

Now that that record finished, a beauty from the Pacific Jazz stable is playing...

Cy Touff - Havin' A Ball (World Pacific Records). A nice deep groove LP. Even though it's well played and the jacket is taped on all three sides, it's still great stuff. I always loved Richie Kamuca's playing on this date (as heard on the Connoissuer CD). Weirdly, this LP had one or two tracks come & go (this one has "Lazy River" and misses "Primitive Cats") and yet the CD misses "Lazy River" too. Why didn't Cuscuna add "Lazy River" to the CD? It's only 2:45.

pj+-+havin%27+a+ball++001.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan