Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ornette Coleman Double Sextet - Free Jazz [Atlantic] Mono

I've been alternating the mono and stereo editions a couple of times today. The mono has an immediacy the stereo lacks to my ears. However the stereo has the quartet separation. Mono wins today, stereo will win another day

Whitehouse? Never thought I'd see their name in this neighbourhood. Scared me then so I'm sure they'd still do so today :)

I've once been very much into the UK industrial scene. Looking back, it was probably my most important stepping stone to the experimental/free improv/avant-garde/whatever... music I'm still listening to (and very much enjoying) today.

And Stapleton's United Dairies label was crucial. I mean, the first release (An Afflicted Man's Musica Box; another compilation) introduced me to Jacques Berrocal, AMM ànd Anima. Not to mention the notorious Nurse With Wound list...

I've kept one or two shelves with records from this area including precisely "Hoisting the black flag". I cherish them although I seldom play them. As for Whitehouse (who feature on Hoisting...): they're virtually unlistenable, of course, but they were very much part of that scene.

Last night :

Sun Ra Live in Paris et the Gibus (French Atlantic): I'm not an expert, neither a completist, but this a favourite.

Joe Daley At Newport '63 (RCA, UK mono): According to the sleeve notes, it's the complete afternoon concert filled out wiith a recording of the soundcheck, but I also read (here?) that some of the tracks are studio recordings. Anyway, it's a great set and the mono sound is very sweet.

George Russell Sextet In K.C. (Brunswick): I have the original Decca, but with a water damaged cover. Now I've found a beautiful German mono pressing. I like this one very much. One oddity is that the "Lunacy" track is credited to trombonist Dave Baker, while it's a composition by a very young Carla Bley who was Russell's student at that time.

Last night :

Sun Ra Live in Paris et the Gibus (French Atlantic): I'm not an expert, neither a completist, but this a favourite.

Joe Daley At Newport '63 (RCA, UK mono): According to the sleeve notes, it's the complete afternoon concert filled out wiith a recording of the soundcheck, but I also read (here?) that some of the tracks are studio recordings. Anyway, it's a great set and the mono sound is very sweet.

George Russell Sextet In K.C. (Brunswick): I have the original Decca, but with a water damaged cover. Now I've found a beautiful German mono pressing. I like this one very much. One oddity is that the "Lunacy" track is credited to trombonist Dave Baker, while it's a composition by a very young Carla Bley who was Russell's student at that time.

I have that Sun Ra on French Atlantic too; it is a great album but my copy is a slightly noisy pressing - looks mint but it's crackly in spots :(

oliver-jackson-quartet.jpg

solid blowing date with some fine Percy France on tenor - part of today's nice haul, been way too long that I did any digging for vinyl and had a great time ... more info and larger pic* on discogs:
http://www.discogs.com/Oliver-Jackson-Presents-Le-Quartet/release/3108940

the LP is signed by Leonard Gaskin left of his pic, there's more writing on top next to Jackson's pic, but it looks more like a dedication or something in Gaskin's writing than like another signature ... can't really tell though.*)

*) Thou taketh what the internet giveth (that is, if I'm allowed to coin a Sangrey :P)

Edited by king ubu

Cedar Walton 'Spectrum' (Prestige, blue label stereo)

a.jpg

Miles Davis 'Blue Haze' (Esquire mono, flat edge pressing)

Miles-Davis-Blue-Haze-528149.jpg

This was Gramaphone Magazine's review copy from 1960 and Charles Fox has initialled the back and annotated the Esquire EPs from which most of the tracks originate (at least here in the UK). Cool !

Edited by sidewinder