• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eddie "lockjaw" Davis "trane whistle" (prestige fireworks DG, USA). Was aware of this album for at least 20 years because of Eric Dolphy's presence; finally found a nice original for under $10.

J.R.Monterose "the message" (Jaro, Venus Japan reissue). A friend of mine has a clean original; this exact replica reissue will have to do for me...

Benny Golson "turning point" (mercury, mono DG) a fantastic album - and what a band!

Edited by Homefromtheforest

10 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

I have the "swirl" cover and regular issue of the "just music" ECM; I love having a red(!!) label ECM album - quite the curio for sure!

I've seen copies (via Popsike, etc.) with red, orange, and white labels, respectively. For an edition with 300 examples, that's a lot of variation!

R-3318654-1326474603.jpeg.jpg

Red Norvo: The Forward Look

I find it very surprising that Leonard Feather, who wrote the liner notes for this release, credits Horace Silver's "Cookin' at the Continental" as a Norvo tune, when he (Feather) wrote the liner notes for Horace's Finger Poppin', the album on which the tune first appeared.

Edited by paul secor

On November 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM, paul secor said:

419sXhm4y1L.jpg

Randy Weston: Blue (1750 Arch)

Great album.  My friend's shop had a copy for several months and it was hard not to buy a second copy.  Then last week when I was there someone was asking for some jazz recommendations and I told him to get that Weston album and the Walt Dickerson album To My Queen.  I told him, "I can't believe these records are still on the shelf."  Any decent record store would be happy to have those two in stock imo.  I finally found the other volume of the Weston recordings last year in Chicago at Dusty Groove.

np Blue Mitchell - The Thing To Do (Blue Note) NY Stereo pressing.

Edited by six string

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Reel_Life_(album).jpg   https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Easy_Living_(Sonny_Rollins_album).jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/hello/55/2066/320/P1010001-3.jpg

Sonny Rollins - Reel Life (Milestone). Far from Sonny's best album, but like most latter-day Rollins albums, there are a couple of stunning tracks here.

Sonny Rollins - Easy Living (Milestone). Even further from Sonny's best, but kind of a nostalgia trip for me. I remember hearing this version of "Isn't She Lovely" on black AM radio stations both in Atlanta and while driving through the rural South.

Chuck Carbo - Life's Ups and Downs (504). A 1989 LP that was kind of a local New Orleans hit / comeback album for the great R & B singer, especially the single "Second Line on Monday"/"Meet Me With Your Black Drawers On."