What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Nat Adderley "introducing" (wing, DG USA)

Various "new blue horns" (riverside, DG mono USA". Only the first mono issue has the "flugelin the blues" track by Clark Terry with Thelonious Monk.  The stereo issue has a totally different Clark Terry track without Monk.  Collector nerd trivia for those who care!

Dizzy Reece "star bright" (blue note, 47 w 63rd mono ear DG USA)

• Replies 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Keshavan Maslak, Han Bennink, Misha Mengelberg - Humanplexity [Leo]

my belated intro to Maslak. This is good

yes, it's pretty good. My favorite Maslak is the duo with Charles Moffett on Soul Note. The trio with Mark Miller and Sadiq Shahid is enjoyable too (records on Circle and Waterland). I've never had the second Leo with Lindberg and Murray but would imagine it's quite nice.

http://www.audiophileusa.com/covers400water/92247.jpg

Bunk Johnson - Spicy Advice (GHB). I don't play this one often enough - a session recorded for radio transcription discs in 1944, with a west coast pickup band (although most of them were from  New Orleans). This ties with Bunk's later New York Decca session as the best recording job he ever had, and it's niice to hear him with a different group of musicians from his usual George Lewis/Jim Robinson/Baby Dodds circle. Besides Bunk, the most heavily featured musician here is clarinetist Wade Whaley - just as "authentically" New Orleans as George Lewis, but in some ways more sophisticated and in some ways more old-fashioned than Lewis.

Edited by jeffcrom

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Mine too. GI Records on Raeburn Place was a record shop I recall from my youth. It's just around the corner from where I live now. Pressing quality of the Wallington is just ok IIRC.

I bought a few interesting things by mail order from GI (Gordon Ingliss) Records back in the day.  The pressing quality is as, you say just okay, but the sound is rather flat.  The US issue was a rarity back then so this issue was very welcome.

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

I bought a few interesting things by mail order from GI (Gordon Ingliss) Records back in the day.  The pressing quality is as, you say just okay, but the sound is rather flat.  The US issue was a rarity back then so this issue was very welcome.

I think I have a 'Sonny Rollins In Japan' on that label. Will dig it out..