What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Jacques Loussier - Play Bach, Vol. 3 - London (mono)

In my experience, European jazz fans don't appreciate this music, maybe because they are too close to it to appreciate what it conveys to non-Europeans.

Loussier front (Copy).jpg

Loussier back (Copy).jpg

Loussier inner sleeve (Copy).jpg

On the back cover there is a controversial discussion between A. and B. in German. B. (translated): “It sounds like the Modern Jazz Quartet without Milt Jackson” and “Playing Bach has snob appeal.” The inner sleeve says it all about marketing! The trio was in Göttingen three times: 1965, 1967 and 1969, I wasn't there - it wasn't the time...

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, optatio said:

On the back cover there is a controversial discussion between A. and B. in German. B. (translated): “It sounds like the Modern Jazz Quartet without Milt Jackson” and “Playing Bach has snob appeal.” 

That is funny!  They were taking on the criticism directly, like the famous US Volkswagen ads of the early 1960s. 

Last night's selections:

• Jacques Loussier - Play Bach Vol. 3 - London (mono)
  • The Swingle Singers - Bach's Greatest Hits - Philips (mono)
  • Gabor Szabo - Spellbinder - impulse! (mono)
  • Ben Webster & Joe Zawinul - Soulmates - Riverside (mono)

These were paired with wine and pizza.  We paused between the first two and the last two to watch Burnt Offerings (1976), directed by Dan Curtis, with Oliver Reed, Karen Black, Bette Davis, and Burgess Meredith. 

4 hours ago, optatio said:

Loussier front (Copy).jpg

On the back cover there is a controversial discussion between A. and B. in German. B. (translated): “It sounds like the Modern Jazz Quartet without Milt Jackson” and “Playing Bach has snob appeal.” The inner sleeve says it all about marketing! The trio was in Göttingen three times: 1965, 1967 and 1969, I wasn't there - it wasn't the time...

The listener has to be familiar with Bach and his compositions to appreciate this "treatment" .... btw the basstone of Pierre Michelot is beautiful ....

23 minutes ago, soulpope said:

The listener has to be familiar with Bach and his compositions to appreciate this "treatment" ...

I generally agree, although I don't think you need to be familiar with every piece if you are familiar with Bach's music and baroque devices in general.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I generally agree, although I don't think you need to be familiar with every piece if you are familiar with Bach's music and baroque devices in general. 

I believe the best results are achieved if the listeners either don't have a clue about Bach at all (aka novelty) or are deeply interested in individuals pieces .... in case you are only familiar with the concept of Bach's music the cover versions of Loussier - more sooner than later - grow boring....

7 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I believe the best results are achieved if the listeners either don't have a clue about Bach at all (aka novelty) or are deeply interested in individuals pieces .... in case you are only familiar with the concept of Bach's music the cover versions of Loussier - more sooner than later - grow boring....

Well, I fall between those two categories, and these albums have never grown boring for me.  And I can't be that unusual. 

On 1/21/2024 at 7:54 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

NP:  Harry Arnold + Big Band + Quincy Jones = Jazz (Mercury, mono)

Quincy & H. Arnold had a nice jazz collaboration before Quincy jumped on the Pop-Train.

44225113gw.jpg

44225213ec.jpg

46980289qs.jpg

46980290ca.jpg%5B46980290ca.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

On 1/21/2024 at 4:49 PM, jazzcorner said:

A real burner

Denon PCM YX-7548 ND - Hilton Ruiz  "Fantansia" - rec. 1978 - Engineer: Jim McCurdy

44591733op.jpg

44591735dp.jpg

44591734or.jpg

oh Hilton Ruiz, such a great pianist and if I remember right, he died too early. 

With whom might I have seen him live ? George Coleman ? Billy Higgins ? 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

oh Hilton Ruiz, such a great pianist and if I remember right, he died too early. 

With whom might I have seen him live ? George Coleman ? Billy Higgins ? 

Probably George Coleman. I saw him with Coleman plus Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins. Memorable stuff.

Another (later) Ruiz gig I attended was one of the nights by the Ruiz group recorded as 'Live at Birdland' for Candid. The band for that one included David Sanchez and Giovanni Hidalgo. I think producer Alan Bates was at the next table to me and Malcolm Addey had his recording kit set up downstairs.

Edited by sidewinder