What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

oh Hilton Ruiz, such a great pianist and if I remember right, he died too early. 

With whom might I have seen him live ? George Coleman ? Billy Higgins ? 

Brown Paris front (Copy).jpg

Brown Paris back (Copy).jpg

Hilton Ruiz was at the Theaterkeller in Göttingen on February 10, 1980 with the Marion Brown Quartet. Four days later the quartet recorded this LP at "Le Dreher" in Paris.

On February 8, 1980 the quartet was in St. Georgen and on February 9, 1980 at the Bimhuis in Amsterdam.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Another (later) Ruiz gig I attended was one of the nights by the Ruiz group recorded as 'Live at Birdland' for Candid. The band for that one included David Sanchez and Giovanni Hidalgo. I think producer Alan Bates was at the next table to me and Malcolm Addey had his recording kit set up downstairs.

And feat the fabulous Andy Gonzalez on bass .... I`m full of envy 😎 ....

Just now, sidewinder said:

Yeah, I remember seeing him at that gig. A permanent and vital feature of every Ruiz group.

Was lucky enough to see him in a trio setting with Jerry Gonzales (tp, cng) and Kirk Lightsey (p) and with Tito Puente & The Golden Latin Jazz All-Stars in the early 1990`s .... both unforgetable ....

4 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Was lucky enough to see him in a trio setting with Jerry Gonzales (tp, cng) and Kirk Lightsey (p) and with Tito Puente & The Golden Latin Jazz All-Stars in the early 1990`s .... both unforgetable ....

Awesome - I think I saw Gonzales in a group once at an open air concert in Lincoln Center but it wasn't a long set.

Got to mention drummer Steve Berrios - another vital member of Ruiz groups. Spinning the Birdland disk now and it brings it all back. A very exciting band to see in person.

48 minutes ago, optatio said:

Brown Paris front (Copy).jpg

Brown Paris back (Copy).jpg

Hilton Ruiz was at the Theaterkeller in Göttingen on February 10, 1980 with the Marion Brown Quartet. Four days later the quartet recorded this LP at "Le Dreher" in Paris.

On February 8, 1980 the quartet was in St. Georgen and on February 9, 1980 at the Bimhuis in Amsterdam.

oh this one must be great. Marion Brown performed also in Vienna, but I can´t remember that date. But i remember on the George Coleman gig, Hilton Ruiz wore a very similar cap. Freddie Waits is a wonderful drummer ! 

16 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Awesome - I think I saw Gonzales in a group once at an open air concert in Lincoln Center but it wasn't a long set.

Got to mention drummer Steve Berrios - another vital member of Ruiz groups. Spinning the Birdland disk now and it brings it all back. A very exciting band to see in person.

You`re right aubout Steve Berrios .... great drumming/percussion work with Mongo Santamaria, Hector Lavoe, Alberto "Chocolate" Armenteros, Jerry Gonzalez & Fort Apache Band and - as you said - recurringly Hilton Ruiz ...., 

Listening to the Ruiz Birdland CD - the individual players, especially Gonzales, are even clearer than on the night and I had a pretty good up-front seat/table. As I recall it, there were only about 15-20 of us in the audience !  Just shows how good Malcolm Addey's recording was.

The other good thing I remember is the lobster surf and turf I ate during the performance. Good times !

Edited by sidewinder

23 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Listening to the Ruiz Birdland CD - the individual players, especially Gonzales, are even clearer than on the night and I had a pretty good up-front seat/table. As I recall it, there were only about 15-20 of us in the audience !  Just shows how good Malcolm Addey's recording was.

The other good thing I remember is the lobster surf and turf I ate during the performance. Good times !

😍👍 ....

Now spinning:

Ny0zOTIxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Mose Allison - Ol' Devil Mose (Prestige, 1979)
LP 1 - originally released as Ramblin' with Mose (rec. 1958) - with Addison Farmer (b) and Ronnie Free (d)

Another wonderful Prestige 2-fer.  This set focuses on Allison's piano playing rather than his singing; there are just four vocal tracks spread across the two LPs.

EDIT
Onward to LP 2 - originally released as Autumn Song (rec. 1959)

Edited by HutchFan

22 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Laurie Johnson - Synthesis [Columbia/EMI, UK 1970]

Really enjoying my first listen to this, not too sure how much of a synthesis is achieved between the Jazz and classical writing but their juxtaposition is effective

Thanks to @sidewinderfor the tip up thread 

No problem. More of a 'bolt on' than 'Synthesis' I think but it seems to work.

I found my Australian pressing so will spin it later (in recognition of their defeat at The Gabba by West Indies XI !)

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

The love/hate combo of Milcho Leviev and Art Pepper was unbeatable ....

The Pure Pleasure LP box of that season is great. Also put out on CD by Laurie Pepper I think.