• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now giving this new-to-me LP a first spin:

Ni0yNTA1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Norma Winstone - Edge of Time (Argo, 1972)
2012 Wah Wah Records (ES) reissue

with:
- Alto Saxophone, Clarinet – Mike Osborne
- Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Flute – Alan Skidmore 
- Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Flute, Bass Clarinet – Art Themen 
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Henry Lowther
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Kenny Wheeler
- Trombone – Chris Pyne 
- Trombone – Malcolm Griffiths
- Trombone, Euphonium – Paul Rutherford
- Vibraphone – Frank Ricotti
- Guitar – Gary Boyle
- Piano, Electric Piano – John Taylor
- Bass – Chris Laurence 
- Drums – Tony Levin

Beautiful! 

yup, excellent! I have the Argo LP, which replaced a dim-sounding Disconforme CD reissue/bootleg.

9 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Interesting. I wonder why there has been no UK reissue since the CD years back which disappeared quickly. 

From her notes,

"The idea to re-issue 'Edge Of Time's did not at first appeal to me. I felt that recording techniques had improved so much over the years, and I was not happy about my singing at that time anyway." 

She goes on to say 

"when I thought about that time...I remembered what a very vital time it was in Jazz" 

And concludes,

"So after all I thought...why not?"

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

From her notes,

"The idea to re-issue 'Edge Of Time's did not at first appeal to me. I felt that recording techniques had improved so much over the years, and I was not happy about my singing at that time anyway." 

She goes on to say 

"when I thought about that time...I remembered what a very vital time it was in Jazz" 

And concludes,

"So after all I thought...why not?"

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Wonder if the Wah Wah reissue was licensed from UMG? Would assume they'd hold the rights rather than Norma herself. I always assumed it was an MP3-to-vinyl release but don't have one to compare to the original, which sounds very nice.

Clifford,

On the back of the Wah Wah jacket, it says "under license from Norma Winstone."  She must have acquired the rights from Argo (or the subsequent owners).

I very much doubt that the vinyl is made from a compressed source like an MP3.  The AQ is too good.  It's not extraordinary, but (I think) it sounds better than an album made from a sub-par source would.

NP:

MS05MzY5LmpwZWc.jpeg

The Bruce Forman Quartet - There Are Times (Concord, 1987)

The special guest is Bobby Hutcherson:)  The rhythm section consists of George Cables (p), Jeff Carney (b), and Eddie Marshall (d).  All SF bay area guys.

a0230841929_10.jpg

Modern Art Trio--------s/t----------(Gleam)

1970 date reissued recently. D'Andrea sounding significantly more out there than I've heard previously. I've bits and pieces with him but this sounds more in debt to Cecil T with a dash of McCoy T. Nice insert mostly in Italian but with an abbreviated English translation of the liner notes. Pricey reissue but very good .

18 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

ab67616d0000b27393c5b8292923aedd94a201ed

Kenny Wheeler Quintet - Flutter By, Butterfly (Soul Note, 1988)

That's an old favourite, purchased on release I think. I must have seen Wheeler and Sulzman play together so many times back then, John Taylor a little less so but still enough

On here now, something strongly connected and inspired by your recent posts

Primary

Norma Winstone - Edge Of Time [Wah Wah Records, Spain 2012 RE]

Edited by mjazzg

So Winstone had the tapes from Decca? Interesting. I suppose given all that Vocalion reissued from the Argo/Decca catalog, that wasn't one of them so perhaps she kept the masters.

6 hours ago, Clunky said:

a0230841929_10.jpg

Modern Art Trio--------s/t----------(Gleam)

1970 date reissued recently. D'Andrea sounding significantly more out there than I've heard previously. I've bits and pieces with him but this sounds more in debt to Cecil T with a dash of McCoy T. Nice insert mostly in Italian but with an abbreviated English translation of the liner notes. Pricey reissue but very good .

Nice! Have a 70s Vedette pressing with different cover art. Superb album.

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Paul Jeffrey-----Family------(Mainstream)

I've not played this for many years. More adventurous than you might expect of Jeffrey. Interesting band with some ambition in the arrangements. Nicely recorded and my pressing is very strong ( better than Mainstream average). It's not earth shattering but worthy of a spin or two.

IMG-5796.jpg

Hurray after two trashed sleeves finally a good copy. Now I am not as sensitive as some listeners but: I could definitely hear this is a huge improvement from the 75th anniversary version. Glad I managed to sell that one :)