Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

RE: 'Presenting Edu Lobo': Side 1 track 2 ('Jogo de Roda') always brings to mind the chordal infl. of Gil Evans. 

Funny, I am now listening to Johnny Mandel's score for The Sandpiper and picking up on all kinds of Gil Evans chord voicings and instrument combinations.

27 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

i haven't listened to it in some time but that solo Takayanagi LP is great.

Yeah, love its economy

Now this

Primary

Tony Oxley Quintet - the Baptised Traveller [CBS, UK 1969]

I'm not sure it gets much better than side 2 of this, the interplay is phenomenal and Jeff Clyne's arco

41 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yeah, love its economy

Now this

Primary

Tony Oxley Quintet - the Baptised Traveller [CBS, UK 1969]

I'm not sure it gets much better than side 2 of this, the interplay is phenomenal and Jeff Clyne's arco

This is such a good record.

Was it ever reissued on vinyl? It seems a real hole.

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

There is no recent LP reissue of this. It was pressed in the UK and Japan at the time. There's also a CD from the late 90s/early 00s. Indeed, the version of Stone Garden at Ryoanji is amazing.

File next to Karyobin...

At least with Karyobin there are three CDs: the Chronoscope from the 90s, a Japanese mini-sleeve (possibly unauthorized), and Martin Davidson's beautiful Emanem version. I have an original and somewhat crackly (despite looking clean) Hexagram LP but the Emanem naturally blows it out of the water. 

On 3/30/2024 at 3:56 PM, Brad said:

IMG_6145.jpg

How is it ? I think the only solo Monk albums I have is something from Londra 1971 and one from San Francisco in the 50´s. The Londra album is great, the San Francisco has a bit a hesitate playing, I like the solo more with that Monkish stride. 

I might have seen the cover of your album in some books, but you know all those CBS recordings went so quickly OOP. 

4 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-6931.jpg

With Don Cherry, Jimmy Heath, Herbie Hancock, Buster Williams, Ed Blackwell and Mtume.

RIP Albert Tootie Heath-Kuumba

have a Japanese wlp of this same record. Beautiful album, features Mtume's first recorded compositions.

the Obé original is very hard to find. I've never even seen one in person.

9 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

have a Japanese wlp of this same record. Beautiful album, features Mtume's first recorded compositions.

the Obé original is very hard to find. I've never even seen one in person.

No me neither. The Japanese Mercury I have sound pretty good though. Curious what the story is behind the Obe label 

13 hours ago, Pim said:

No me neither. The Japanese Mercury I have sound pretty good though. Curious what the story is behind the Obe label 

It was the engineer's label and I believe only existed for that one release. He licensed/sold some of his tapes to the Springboard/Trip/UpFront imprint, which is how the record has been bootlegged all over the place.

10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

It was the engineer's label and I believe only existed for that one release. He licensed/sold some of his tapes to the Springboard/Trip/UpFront imprint, which is how the record has been bootlegged all over the place.

Thanks Clifford for the info. So unfair to Tootie lots of those tried to sell it under Hancocks name for more money. Makes me think of Pete La Rocas Woman at a Turkish Bath sold under Chick Coreas name.