• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/28/2024 at 5:25 AM, Niko said:

OC05NzIxLmpwZWc.jpeg

FIve Times Six (Cat Records)

yesterday on the King's annual birthday flea market, I didn't even try, but a year ago, I actually managed to find an album from my extended wish list... so playing it again on the occasion (even though commentators pointed out that the King lost quite a bit of weight over the year, so that there's substantially less King to celebrate this year than a year ago...)

good one! RIP Herbert Noord...

42 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

good one! RIP Herbert Noord...

Read your interview with him again when playing the album, thank you so much for that, it's a very useful resource on an aspect of the Dutch Jazz scene that hasn't been covered that much elsewhere 

Today I bought a copy of Mark Murphy's "Rah" from a charity shop. This an album I bought on CD in around 1995, which I'd never heard on vinyl until today.

I could probably sing every note of that CD, so often did I listen to it all those years ago. As such, I was most surprised to hear that "My Favourite Things" on vinyl contains several choruses not present on the CD - new choruses referencing Miles, Coltrane, Anita O'Day, Basie, Cannonball etc. I wonder why these were cut from the OJC CD?  

What the heck? There is another track on the LP which didn't make it to CD

EDIT to add - all explained by Wikipedia - lyrics considered "inappropriate" by Richard Rodgers...

Edited by rdavenport

55 minutes ago, Niko said:

Read your interview with him again when playing the album, thank you so much for that, it's a very useful resource on an aspect of the Dutch Jazz scene that hasn't been covered that much elsewhere 

thank you! Yeah, I feel like it is pretty unique and I was so glad to get to know Herbert a bit.

17 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The Fifth Dimension - Up, Up and Away - (Soul City, stereo)

I don't listen exclusively to jazz.  I like to keep up with what the kids are listening to.

Its not a bad one. Have it and play it here and then.

It's Duke Ellington's Birthday, so . . . 

NjctMzY0MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Duke Ellington - Happy Reunion (Doctor Jazz, 1985)
Selections from EKE's "stockpile," recorded in Chicago in 1957 & 1958

Ellington (p), Jimmy Woode (b), Sam Woodyard (d) with:
- On tracks A1 to A4: Jimmy Hamilton (cl), Johnny Hodges (as), Clark Terry (tr), and John Sanders (v tb)
- On tracks A5 to B4: Paul Gonsalves (ts)

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

It's Duke Ellington's Birthday, so . . . 

NjctMzY0MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Duke Ellington - Happy Reunion (Doctor Jazz, 1985)
Selections from EKE's "stockpile," recorded in Chicago in 1957 & 1958

Ellington (p), Jimmy Woode (b), Sam Woodyard (d) with:
- On tracks A1 to A4: Jimmy Hamilton (cl), Johnny Hodges (as), Clark Terry (tr), and John Sanders (v tb)
- On tracks A5 to B4: Paul Gonsalves (ts)

+ Chick Corea!

44 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

More Ellington:

MS0yMzkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Duke Ellington - Unknown Session (Columbia, 1979)

Septet recordings from 1960.

That is a seriously great record!

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

+ Chick Corea!

Actually, Chick's on New Mood Indigo -- not Happy Reunion.  

NS0yMzk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Understandable mistake.  Both LPs appeared on Bob Thiele's Doctor Jazz with fairly generic covers.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

That is a seriously great record!

For sure!  :tup

Edited by HutchFan

Next up:

71SlIcJNflL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Marc Johnson - Bass Desires (ECM, 1986)

One of Ethan Iverson's substack posts just showed up in my inbox.  The gist of the post is a long interview with Peter Erskine about the making of Second Sight, the second Bass Desires album -- an album that isn't in my collection, so I'm playing the first one instead -- and Gary Peacock's Guamba, which was made immediately after Second Sight.  FASCINATING stuff.  And there's a bunch of excellent photos too.  Don't think I've ever seen the inside of Rainbow Studios in Oslo before.

An aside: I know that Iverson comes in for a lot of stick 'round these parts.  Frankly, I don't get it.  At all.  I don't always agree with the guy -- nor should I (or should anyone else, for that matter!) -- but it's clear that he LOVES the music.  From my perspective, that's the most important thing.  . . .  Plus, he uses his insider's status to get to get interviews that are unlike any others.  And the dude can write.  He's putting himself out there, sharing personal responses to the music.  I wish MORE musicians had the (writing) chops, the inclination, and the cojones to do it.

17 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

FWIW, I saw / heard a solo concert that Iverson did in Albuquerque recently & it was excellent. His interaction with the audience was compelling.

Glad to hear that.

I enjoyed Iverson's playing with the Bad Plus.  But I think his solo work -- and sideman gigs with Tootie and Jabali -- are even better.