• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, right. It's very horrible that vinyl is still being pressed...the horror!!!

Nutcake.

Spinning: Paul Desmond "Glad to be unhappy". RCA Masters, French. "Like a dry Martini" indeed!!!

W/ Jim Hall, Gene Wright, Connie Kay, Gene Cherico.

Vinyl Lives.

----HB

Once again, Horny blows it and misses the point completely. :lol:

Please forgive me, all knowing one!!

Jeez, What the holy heck were YOU talking about?

I really respect the amazing work you have done for Jazz,

and the fecundity of your releases, but why so snide?

Why so "know it all" all the time?

Wussup, rocker???

---HB

Please sir, go back and read your previous post. Nutcake. :cool:

Edited by Chuck Nessa

It is really disheartening to see so many recent vinyl pressings. If they are "what they claim" they are yet another use of precious "primary sources". Bad for culture, good for collectors. :(

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but I see some contradictions.

Assuming that music is a business the goal is making money, so if there are some nuts ready to buy vinyl mastered from "primary sources", it's interest of the producer/owner/musician of the source to sell it. And don't forget that every cd "digitally remastered from the original master tapes" damages "primary sources" as well. The other side of the coin is that the very same money may, but often doesn't, help to preserve "primary sources".

Archival issue is a different matter.

If the music is considered a cultural heritage, "primary sources" should be preserved by some government's institution or private foundations, like paintings, sculptures and monuments.

Now I see a contradiction, because the copyright lasts for 99 years, or something, in U.S., a period of time sufficient to damage "primary sources" legally owned by producer/owner/musician.

AFIK there isn't any law that impose preserving "primary sources" on producer/owner/musician, as there isn't any law that sue a private collector who want to burn his Picasso's paintings. So if Mingus decided to press two hundred copy of "Jazz at Massey Hall" on vinyl and then he destroyed the tapes, in order to make money selling the records to collectors, no law couldn't stop him, is it correct?

At the end I don't see any reason for blaming vinyl's nuts instead of cd's nuts. I would blame the copyright laws and the lack of legislation about preserving "primary sources".

Edited by porcy62

Please forgive me, all knowing one!!

Jeez, What the holy heck were YOU talking about?

I really respect the amazing work you have done for Jazz,

and the fecundity of your releases, but why so snide?

Why so "know it all" all the time?

Wussup, rocker???

---HB

Please sir, go back and read your previous post. Nutcake. :cool:

"so snide" ? "know it all" ?

Horny, you should'nt have no problem with that : this attitude is frequently found in artistic fields like music, or photography. That's part of the game. No big deal, unless you confuse with it intelligence. :rolleyes:

Milt Jackson & Ray Charles; Soul Brothers. (Fifties UK London pressing)

and followed up by another Jackson album from the same stable and probably my favourite Bags disc-

Plenty, Plenty, Soul

Edited by JohnS