• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THE CANNONBALL ADDERLEY QUINTET PLUS - Riverside, mono.

Am I particularly unlucky or the quality of vinyl and pressing of the Riverside's records is usually lower then BN, Prestige and other labels?

Nice music, anyway.

Not unlucky but just like the rest of us vinyl lovers. Most Riverside recordings were just not up to par.

This has been discussed on numerous occasions in various threads before.

Edited by brownie

Am I particularly unlucky or the quality of vinyl and pressing of the Riverside's records is usually lower then BN, Prestige and other labels?

Nice music, anyway.

Not unlucky but just like the rest of us vinyl lovers. Most Riverside recordings were just not up to par.

That's a pity, considering how much great music there is on the label. :(

Nevermind I could go for cd...

I am joking :g

Edited by porcy62

Nice music, anyway.

That implies Keepnews was a cheapskate on pressings - and still managed to go bust! What an effin' genius!

MG

Nice music, anyway.

That implies Keepnews was a cheapskate on pressings - and still managed to go bust! What an effin' genius!

MG

I don't know well enough Keepnews' story, was he the owner or the Riverside or just an employed producer?

Because AFIK a producer has to struggle for the budget of every project with the guys with the money and the big cigar. So maybe we was cheapskate on pressing because he spend the bigger money in recording sessions and artist's contracts. Just guessing.

edit: just noted that the above Cannonball's record was produced by Bill Grauer.

Now I am listening to THE CANNONBALL QUINTET - In San Francisco - Riverside stereo black label, Grauer is the producer of this too, and it's pretty good pressing on a good quality vinyl. :blink:

Edited by porcy62

Nice music, anyway.

MG

I don't know well enough Keepnews' story, was he the owner or the Riverside or just an employed producer?

Because AFIK a producer has to struggle for the budget of every project with the guys with the money and the big cigar. So maybe we was cheapskate on pressing because he spend the bigger money in recording sessions and artist's contracts. Just guessing.

edit: just noted that the above Cannonball's record was produced by Bill Grauer.

Now I am listening to THE CANNONBALL QUINTET - In San Francisco - Riverside stereo black label, Grauer is the producer of this too, and it's pretty good pressing on a good quality vinyl. :blink:

I understand that Grauer and Keepnews were partners.

MG

Riverside was founded by Bill Grauer and Orin Keepnews. Problem with sound reproduction of many original sessions from the label was the mastering. Recording quality ranged from good to excellent.

From what I understand, things went wrong with the mastering process.

Even the usually excellent Japanese vinyl reissue pressings from the 70s presented the same deficiencies.

Christern would be the one to know about those problems. He produced a number of sessions for Riverside.

Riverside was founded by Bill Grauer and Orin Keepnews. Problem with sound reproduction of many original sessions from the label was the mastering. Recording quality ranged from good to excellent.

From what I understand, things went wrong with the mastering process.

Even the usually excellent Japanese vinyl reissue pressings from the 70s presented the same deficiencies.

Christern would be the one to know about those problems. He produced a number of sessions for Riverside.

...if only he weren't so busy to solve the problems of Middle East... ;)