What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

c50151c88da0b19eea11e110.L.jpg

The First Great Rock Festivals of the Seventies: Isle of Wight/Atlanta Pop Festival (Columbia). Spinning the third of this three-record set, featuring Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis at the 1970 Isle of Wight fest. All the Hendrix material from the Isle of Wight has now been released, but it's interesting to hear the three tunes that were chosen to be released first, six months or so after the event. Miles' complete set has also been released in audio and video form in recent years, but the edited 17-minute "Call it Anythin'" is what I grew up with (on 8-track tape!), and I wanted to hear it in that version tonight.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51JA6YQJ4YL.jpg

Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street (Rolling Stones/Atlantic)

One of the two Stones albums I've kept in my collection

I've liked the Stones for years but have been cautious about getting too many and weaker sets ( ie the earlier and later material ). I'd also avoided "Exile". I caved in last year and can't believe just how good it is. It's right up there with "Aftermath" and "Let it bleed".

What other Stones' title did you keep?

the-coasters-besame-mucho-part-1-london.

The Coasters - Besame mucho pts 1 & 2 - Atco (London UK, as illustrated, but not my copy)

This is one of the 45s I've kept since I got it in 1960 - the only Coasters single I kept. It's not a comedy story; they do the song straight, with a Latin shuffle beat, but backwards! Part one is a solo from King Curtis, with the Coasters singing along in the background on the bridges. Part 2 is where the Coasters actually come in and sing the song, a solo vehicle for the bass man, Will 'Dub' Jones, who sings with a LOT of soul.

I've never understood why Atlantic put a King Curtis solo on as part 1 and not the coasters singing. But I've never entirely understood why they'd make a single like this anyway.

Oh, a little research on You Tube reveals that London got the sides mixed up!!!!

Here's the complete recording in the correct order.

MG

1327349773_jack-mcduff.jpg

Jack McDuff - Check this out - Cadet

Nice hot album, with Vinnie Corrao and great sax section - Red Holloway, Dave Young & Leo Johnson - recorded live in Berlely at Mandrake Club 1972. Reminded I had it by Cyril's posting in the multiple image sleeves thread a few days ago. Sleeve photos by Joel Brodsky.

MG

51JA6YQJ4YL.jpg

Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street (Rolling Stones/Atlantic)

One of the two Stones albums I've kept in my collection

I've liked the Stones for years but have been cautious about getting too many and weaker sets ( ie the earlier and later material ). I'd also avoided "Exile". I caved in last year and can't believe just how good it is. It's right up there with "Aftermath" and "Let it bleed".

What other Stones' title did you keep?

Between the Buttons. Probably not one of the top Stones records on anyone else's list.