Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

evans_gilev_parisblue_101b.jpg

PARIS BLUES - Steve Lacy, Gil Evans - Owl LP. Gil's choice of electric piano on a few tracks strikes me as a bit peculiar, although I suppose that was maybe an attempt at adding color (?). I think he's more successful on the piano. I really enjoyed hearing Lacy play several Mingus compositions, "Reincarnation of a Lovebird," "Orange Was the Color of Her Dress Then Sky Blue Silk," and "Good Bye Pork-Pie Hat."

evans_gilev_parisblue_101b.jpg

PARIS BLUES - Steve Lacy, Gil Evans - Owl LP. Gil's choice of electric piano on a few tracks strikes me as a bit peculiar, although I suppose that was maybe an attempt at adding color (?). I think he's more successful on the piano. I really enjoyed hearing Lacy play several Mingus compositions, "Reincarnation of a Lovebird," "Orange Was the Color of Her Dress Then Sky Blue Silk," and "Good Bye Pork-Pie Hat."

:tup

Cosmic_Chicken.jpg

Jack DeJohnette's Directions - Cosmic Chicken (Prestige). One of those nice noisy green-label pressings. DeJohnette did better as leader later, but I'm enjoying this one.

Must have been one of those moments when time had run out and someone screamed 'For god's sake, what shall we call it? Think of a name! Anything!'

Cosmic_Chicken.jpg

Jack DeJohnette's Directions - Cosmic Chicken (Prestige). One of those nice noisy green-label pressings. DeJohnette did better as leader later, but I'm enjoying this one.

Must have been one of those moments when time had run out and someone screamed 'For god's sake, what shall we call it? Think of a name! Anything!'

Haha

Cosmic_Chicken.jpg

Haha

I like that. Also, maybe it was playing off the "funky chicken" dance craze; might move a few extra units.

116402640.jpg

Keith Tippett, Michel Pilz, Paul Rogers, Jean-Noel Cognard. Quartet and various combinations over 4 LPs on Bloc Thyristors

today's arrival. First LP sounding great

Thanks for noting this. I got a copy from Soundohm as per your suggestion. Arrived very promptly. Music here seems very fine. I do like bass clarinet. Plenty of listening to had here. Packaging of this set is deluxe!

Pleased you got it it. It's well worth it. I actually received a second set by mistake last week and wondered when I posted it on if it might be for you as it went north of the border

116402640.jpg

Keith Tippett, Michel Pilz, Paul Rogers, Jean-Noel Cognard. Quartet and various combinations over 4 LPs on Bloc Thyristors

Thanks for noting this. I got a copy from Soundohm as per your suggestion. Arrived very promptly. Music here seems very fine. I do like bass clarinet. Plenty of listening to had here. Packaging of this set is deluxe!

Pleased you got it it. It's well worth it. I actually received a second set by mistake last week and wondered when I posted it on if it might be for you as it went north of the border

thanks, that explains how my set from Italy appeared to have been posted in the UK.

116402640.jpg

thanks, that explains how my set from Italy appeared to have been posted in the UK.

and why the packaging had been opened! Glad to be of service

morgan_lee~_searchfor_101b.jpg

Lee Morgan: Search for the New Land (BN/King)

I love the title track and the way it leads off the album.

Listening to this one reminded me to listen past the Blue Note/hard bop formula (though the title track doesn't fall into that bag) and listen to the music/solos. That's been a problem for me at times in the past.

Yes, I can understand that. That's why I like that on this album they went with the more adventurous title track, and opening with that (instead of a boogaloo) was perhaps a statement of sorts. Plus it's a beautiful piece.

%24(KGrHqR,!roFG6iw%2BwT4BRyL7oqeJQ~~60_

Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller John Gilmore, John Hicks, Victor Sproles. Limelight Japan LP. AFAIK, this is the only LP with Blakey and Gilmore (aside from a Limelight 7"). It's a nice date.

EDIT: I was thinking Blakey leader dates, but "Blowing Into Chicago" brings them together.

Edited by Leeway

41107VX5A1L.jpg

Gil Evans - Priestess (Antilles). I'm in weird place mentally. I usually listen to (or play) music in the evenings. But I like football well enough that tonight I watched three and a half hours of increasingly boring television; now I feel disoriented and not quite myself. This is the album I chose to restore my mental equilibrium. Good choice - although it's far from Evans' best album, I've loved it since it came out in 1983. Billy Harper's "Priestess" is such a moving tune, and it's enhanced by Evans' scoring and great solos. Is this the best Dave Sanborn ever played?