Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

333.jpg

TSCHUS - Brotzmann, Van Hove, Bennink - Cien Fuego LP reissue of FMP 0230. I find it amusing that the album starts with a surprisingly romantic ballad piece dedicated to Bobby Few, who has his own very definite crooner tendencies (I once saw him croon "It Was A Very Good Year") and end with Brotzmann crooning his own little ballad. Everything in the middle anything but crooning.

61g5k8lJQQL._SX300_.jpgroar26cover.jpg

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars - Music for Lighthousekeeping (Stereo). I mean "Stereo" is the label it was issued on - "Stereo Records S7008, In Association with Contemporary Records." I found this record today - in very nice shape, and for all of three dollars. It was news to me. Apparently Contemporary was recording in stereo before stereo LPs even existed - I know that Atlantic did the same. And apparently their first stereo issues were under a separate label name. And for such early stereo, it sounds very good.

Then, something very different, but equally excellent:

Joe McPhee & Chris Corsano - Scraps and Shadows (Roaratorio)

COLUMBIA%204-48009.jpg

Papa Celestin and His Tuxedo Dixieland Band - Tiger Rag/At the Darktown Strutters Ball (Columbia promo 45). A 1953 single release, issued on 45 and 78 RPM records. It's a hot little record. I doubt most of the names of the musicians would mean much to most folks here, but I heard one of them, pianist Jeanette Kimball, several times at Preservation Hall 40 to 45 years later. And she had first recorded with Celestin in the 1920s!

61g5k8lJQQL._SX300_.jpg

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars - Music for Lighthousekeeping (Stereo). I mean "Stereo" is the label it was issued on - "Stereo Records S7008, In Association with Contemporary Records." I found this record today - in very nice shape, and for all of three dollars. It was news to me. Apparently Contemporary was recording in stereo before stereo LPs even existed - I know that Atlantic did the same. And apparently their first stereo issues were under a separate label name. And for such early stereo, it sounds very good

Interesting, didn't know that. My Peter Gunn is on the Stereo label.

cover_3552131222012_r.jpg

TROPIC APPETITES - Carla Bley - Watt LP.

I liked Howard Johnson's multi-instrumental playing, Gato's fervent tenor, and Julie Tippetts beguiling voice here. I'm not always a fan of Carla's forays into Kurt Weill-like cabaret/song cycles, but maybe for the afore-mentioned reasons, I found I liked this effort.

Edited by Leeway

I liked Howard Johnson's multi-instrumental playing, Gato's fervent tenor, and Julie Tippetts beguiling voice here. I'm not always a fan of Carla's forays into Kurt Weill-like cabaret/song cycles, but maybe for the afore-mentioned reasons, I found I liked this effort.

Interesting - because it's the Weill-meets-free-jazz thing I love. Whereas I find her more conventional, American, post-70s music much less engaging. Personal taste, of course (related to the way I first heard the music - it clicked very easily into the whole Henry Cow/Wyatt etc world of the mid-70s).

Interesting - because it's the Weill-meets-free-jazz thing I love. Whereas I find her more conventional, American, post-70s music much less engaging. Personal taste, of course (related to the way I first heard the music - it clicked very easily into the whole Henry Cow/Wyatt etc world of the mid-70s).

I like this one quite well. It seems genuinely inspired. Some of her other efforts along this line, as I recall, have sometimes seemed to have more the element of pastiche to them, that is, not quite as inspired or original. But I have been coming back to her work off and on, so might hear it a little differently next time. BTW, I do like Weill, especially the Lotte Lenya albums. Interesting connection to Henry Cow (another project in waiting) and Wyatt.

Probably just how I heard it. I knew little jazz c. 1975 but was immersed in the Canterbury thing, and a lot of the British jazz-rock of that time. 'Escalator Over The Hill' grabbed me by the throat. The overture made me very curious about the jazz I was reading about but had not heard. Charlie Haden was on several of those early Bley Albums as well as the Jarrett records I was starting to buy; and Wyatt did 'Song for Che' on an album as well as recording with Michael Mantler. Lots of connections.

Remember seeing Bley in a short lived supergroup with Mick Taylor and Jack Bruce.

percussion_klein2.jpg

New York Percussion Ensemble - Bach for Percussion (Audio Fidelity mono). Okay, y'all know that I've got some odd albums. This is one of the oddest, but every once in a while it calls to me, begging to be played. It's four Bach pieces transcribed for non-pitched (!) percussion instruments. (Well, there is some tympani, but used in a non-melodic way.) So you've got the rhythmic skeleton of Bach's music, and Bach's complexity of texture, but "translated" with entirely different colors. And none of his harmonic or melodic content, of course.

It ain't Bach, really, but it's pretty cool percussion music. It reminds me of John Cage and William Russell's early percussion music. This is not something I want to listen to often, but right now it's putting a smile on my face.