Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Schlippenbach Quartett - Das Hohe Lied [Po Torch]

There was just a copy on Discogs for about $45. I seriously considered it! I swear the CDs will be here one day....

I think that's probably the copy I just bought. Only arrived today. Priced lower due to small scratch which doesn't impair the listening in the slightest. CDs will sound great....

nblp75.jpg

LIVE IN LISBON: Rodrigo Amado Motion Trio & Peter Evans. No Business LP.

What is your opinion on this one? I'm planning on doing an order from NoBusiness after my vacation in august, and this one is on the "maybe" list (as I'm definitely going for "The Freedom Principle" album with the same line up)

Just got it, have given it a couple of listens, and I think it is pretty good. A high energy album. Amado and Evans go at it hammer and tong, reminded me of Peter Evans and Evan Parker on "Rocket Science." I think you would like it.

WP:

Another new arrival:

malus.jpg

MALUS - Nate Woley (tp, amplifier), Hugo Antunes (b, amplifier), Chris Corsano (d, amp). No Business LP.

First listen, I liked Side A quite a bit, but Side B seemed to me to not get off the ground. I owe it some further listening though.

Edited by Leeway

Bitching about prices aside, I do want to grab that Wooley LP.

btw, Leeway, there is a Texas-based tape label called Astral Spirits getting off the ground soon and their first release is by Icepick: Wooley, Corsano & Haker-Flaten.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check it out.

251152224545.jpg

Evan Parker - At the Finger Palace (The Beak Doctor)

I gave that one a spin yesterday as well. One of my favourites. I also like the duet record he did with Greg Goodman around the same time.

You probably know but I'll just throw it out here, that the "Vaincu. Va! Live at the Western Front" was recorded within a week of "Finger Palace," i.e., Parker is playing at the same high level on both.

Music From the Melody Inn by the "Mighty 4" (Jazzology). No picture of the LP online that I could find. This was the late Lionel Ferbos' first recording session, from 1963. He's joined by Harold Dejan on alto, Creole George Guesnon on banjo, and drummer Alex Bigard. The latter was Barney's brother - unlike his more famous brother, he never left New Orleans.

1287428464_templeofbirth-.jpg

Jeremy Steig - Temple of Birth (Columbia promo). This is my belated memorial tribute to Johnny Winter, who plays on three tracks here. I wasn't a huge fan, and don't have much by him, but wanted to pay my respects by spinning something he played on. This is not a great album, but the passion of Steig's playing elevates it from the run-of-the-mill fusion album it could have been.

0102746.jpg

Steve Lacy - Eronel (Horo)

My cover was different.

Sure you're not thinking of Catch?

Yeah I think my copy of "eronel" had a different cover as well if memory serves correctly. Unfortunately I sold my copy many years ago as I wasn't too happy with the pressing/sound.

Of course seeing your post is making me want to buy it again haha :/

0102746.jpg

Steve Lacy - Eronel (Horo)

My cover was different.

Sure you're not thinking of Catch?

Yeah I think my copy of "eronel" had a different cover as well if memory serves correctly. Unfortunately I sold my copy many years ago as I wasn't too happy with the pressing/sound.

Of course seeing your post is making me want to buy it again haha :/

This is definitely the cover my copy has. As far as the pressings go, well, fleas come with the dog, as we say down here. I cherish all of my Horo albums, and I've got a bunch. And all of them sound like crap, with lots of pops and surface noise, and the covers are all falling apart. Lousy pressings, cheap glue and cardboard, and great music. I can live with that.

Gil+Evans+-+Parabola+-+DOUBLE+LP-532385.

Another crappy Horo pressing, ordered from Italy in 1979 or so:

Gil Evans - Parabola (Horo)

Great music on that one!

Yes - since the day I got it, Gil's arrangement of Hendrix's "Up From the Skies" has been one more evidence of his genius. It's written for four horns - trumpet, soprano sax, alto sax, and trombone. Any "professional" arranger would give the lead to the trumpet, with the soprano sax, alto sax, and trombone playing harmony parts, descending in that order. For most of the tune, Evans gave the lead to Arthur Blythe's alto, with the trombone playing the second part, Steve Lacy's soprano playing the third part, and the trumpet playing the lowest part. It's all wrong, and it's brilliant.

Edited by jeffcrom