Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mike Osborne Quintet - Marcel's Muse [Ogun]

received with open arms as a generous gift. Charig's contributions are particularly noteworthy amongst a strong crowd

One day...seeing that dark blue label makes me cringe haha

Could be worse - Pathe Marconi DMM?

For some of us those DMMs were our introduction to BN and Jazz.

We knew no better at the time and I'm thankful I bought a whole load or I'd still be listening to indie rock. I remember a review in the NME at the time about that reissue programme that introduced a concept of 'brown-bagging' in that the quality of the music was so uniformly good you may as well buy them in a brown bag, sight unseen as it didn't matter which one you got.

I didn't try that but they did introduce me to Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Hancock, Anthony Williams, Sam Rivers, Grachan Moncur III amongst others for which I am eternally grateful to Pathe-Marconi :)

Edited by mjazzg

I'm always intrigued by the guitarist on that one - Jeff Green. What else did he do?

never come across him before. Cue those in the know....

Discogs has some interesting enties for him - Elton Dean's Just Us and a big band Intercontinental Express which has a pretty impressive line up - Kenny W, Ray Babbington, Elton Dean. Nick Evans etc, etc

http://www.discogs.com/Intercontinental-Express-Joe-Gallivan-Charles-Austin-Ken-Wheeler-Nick-Evans-Jeff-Green-Elton-Dean-Ro/release/2389205

I'm always intrigued by the guitarist on that one - Jeff Green. What else did he do?

never come across him before. Cue those in the know....

Discogs has some interesting enties for him - Elton Dean's Just Us and a big band Intercontinental Express which has a pretty impressive line up - Kenny W, Ray Babbington, Elton Dean. Nick Evans etc, etc

http://www.discogs.com/Intercontinental-Express-Joe-Gallivan-Charles-Austin-Ken-Wheeler-Nick-Evans-Jeff-Green-Elton-Dean-Ro/release/2389205

Just checked my copy of the Just Us reissue and he is there on the 2 extra tracks.

Intercontinental Express looks intriguing - Dean also worked with Gallivan around the time in a wonderful quartet with Tippett and Hopper. Sounds where Soft Machine might have gone after Five if things had worked out differently. One disc issued at the time; another much later. Recommended if you don't know them.

joegallivan-intercontinentalexpress.JPG

I have this one. Not bad as I recall but some dated synth sounds. I'll see if I can find it tonight

Edit : found it surprisingly quickly. There's a light funk feel to much of what's here on side 1. No annoying synth but "Human Syndrone" (sic) has a few troubling vocal overdubs I do without. Ronnie Scott has a nice solo on that track. Jeff Green is pretty unobtrusive on guitar but does solo briefly on "Hash". Kenny Wheeler's "Branetu" on side 2 is typical for him. A vert elegant piece but with only Charles Austin soloing on soprano. Wheeler solos along with Dean on Elton's fine "Kingfisher blue". The other track on side 2 is an oddly detached take on Coleman's "The Sphinx"- not entirely successful. It's all very well recorded but a deservedly obscure session

Edited by Clunky

James-Blood-Ulmer-Are-You-Glad-To-B-3175

James "Blood" Ulmer---------Are you glad to be in America?---------(Rough Trade)

Prime Time like. Olu Dara, David Murray and the sublime Oliver Lake are playing but so far back in the mix you'd never know it was them. This has some interesting moments. Not sure if this is punk/funk or what. Deserves repeated listens.

James "Blood" Ulmer---------Are you glad to be in America?---------(Rough Trade)

Prime Time like. Olu Dara, David Murray and the sublime Oliver Lake are playing but so far back in the mix you'd never know it was them. This has some interesting moments. Not sure if this is punk/funk or what. Deserves repeated listens.

I like that one, too, but I've got the Artists House reissue, and never noticed any issues with the "presence" of the horns. Either it was remixed or I just never noticed.

I like that one, too, but I've got the Artists House reissue, and never noticed any issues with the "presence" of the horns. Either it was remixed or I just never noticed.

As I recall it has been remixed ( possibly more than once). The horns on the RT issue provide background sounds only

2Carmen%20McRae%20-%20Portrait%20Of%20Ca

Some nice Oliver Nelson charts, but that's not enough...some nice-enough Benny Carter charts, and that's not enough...some serviceable Shorty Rogers charts, and that's sure not enough,,,and two Gene DiNovi charts on two of his original tunes that have that awkwardly "coming out" sound that made Liza Minelli so "popular",,,this whole thing, it's just not enough. Although the least not-enough thing on it is a nice version of "I Haven't Got Anything Better to Do". I'm that much of a Carmen McRae fan to begin with, and this does not move the conversation forward. Nor does it move it backward, but...just not enough.

===========================================================================================================

635880.jpg

Well, ok, this is more like it!!!!!

=========================================================================================================

c2bd99208402dd3fcd22bbe5541bfd9d.jpg

"Fluffy" is an adjective. "Fluff" is a noun (or a verb). Definitely "fluffy", definitely not "fluff".

===================================================================================================

The-Ellington-Era-1927-1940-Duke-Ellingt

Hey.

front.jpg

Dwight Andrews - Mmotia: The Little People (Otic). So my wife teaches at Spelman College in Atlanta, and mentioned a colleague who is married to a jazz musician who is also a preacher, or something like that - she was pretty vague. "That sounds like Dwight Andrews," I said. Yep. Dr. Andrews is now in the theology department at Emory University in Atlanta, and preaches at an Atlanta church.

25623_image0_20100428_auto.jpg

James Blood Ulmer - Are You Glad to be In America (Artists House). Inspired by Clunky's spin of the Rough Trade version. The horns sound just fine here.

What kind of music is this? Good music.

Later, after the whole thing: I should have said that the horns sound just fine in an 80s studio kind of way - they are indeed mixed kind of "vaguely," although presumably more clearly than on the Rough Trade release.

For those interested: David Murray plays on every track; Oliver Lake is on all tracks except "Are You Glad to be in America," "Pressure," "Revelation March," and "Interview." Olu Dara only plays on "See Through," "TV Blues," and "Jazz is the Teacher (Funk is the Preacher)."

And that last-mentioned tune is kind of amazing.

Edited by jeffcrom

front.jpg

Dwight Andrews - Mmotia: The Little People (Otic). So my wife teaches at Spelman College in Atlanta, and mentioned a colleague who is married to a jazz musician who is also a preacher, or something like that - she was pretty vague. "That sounds like Dwight Andrews," I said. Yep. Dr. Andrews is now in the theology department at Emory University in Atlanta, and preaches at an Atlanta church.

fine, fine album that one

25623_image0_20100428_auto.jpg

James Blood Ulmer - Are You Glad to be In America (Artists House). Inspired by Clunky's spin of the Rough Trade version. The horns sound just fine here.

What kind of music is this? Good music.

Later, after the whole thing: I should have said that the horns sound just fine in an 80s studio kind of way - they are indeed mixed kind of "vaguely," although presumably more clearly than on the Rough Trade release.

For those interested: David Murray plays on every track; Oliver Lake is on all tracks except "Are You Glad to be in America," "Pressure," "Revelation March," and "Interview." Olu Dara only plays on "See Through," "TV Blues," and "Jazz is the Teacher (Funk is the Preacher)."

And that last-mentioned tune is kind of amazing.

As I recall it has been remixed ( possibly more than once). The horns on the RT issue provide background sounds only

Yes, I have the DIW cd. Around this time Ulmer played a couple of concerts in London. Notably a gig at the Roundhouse with a quartet featuring Murray. Terrific stuff. Like that Artists House jacket.