• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hot Lotta is a good one - although I always have filed it among Brötzmann LPs.

Have No Room for Squares as a blue label UA and The Connection as a Japanese Toshiba mono...

I like "hot lotta" even more then "balls" or "machine gun"...it's got this sparseness and restrained thoughtfulness/intelligence to the sound which appeals to me a bit more then the reckless abandonment of some of the early FMP efforts...

Although I love Machine Gun too, Nipples is still my favorite early Brötzmann LP by a longshot.

A long night of listening as the kids went to bed amazingly early tonight :)

Andrew Hill "compulsion" (Blue Note, NY USA stereo)

Sonny Rollins "Newks Time" (Blue Note, King Japan stereo)

Cannonball Adderley "Somethin Else" (Blue Note, 47 w 63rd mono DG w/ear, 9M)

Peter Brotzmann "Nipples" (Calig, Germany black label 1st issue) On currently as I typed this and inspired by Clifford to pull it out from the shelves...indeed one of Peter's finest. Maybe I'll pull out the "More Nipples" CD on Atavastic after this!

Brotzmann/Noble/Edwards/Adasiewicsz - Mental Shake [Oto Roku]

I really wanted to like this one more than I do. Oh well.

Pulled Nipples off eBay years ago in nice shape, black label with a beautiful concertina, for $100. Not "cheap" but entirely fair, so it can be done.

I know what you mean about Mental Shake. I'm not entirely convinced. I prefer the Brotzmann/Adasiewicsz duets although the trio with Noble was awesome a couple of weeks back

the Nipples hunt starts here.....

Pulled Nipples off eBay years ago in nice shape, black label with a beautiful concertina, for $100. Not "cheap" but entirely fair, so it can be done. I've really not spun this enough to form an opinion. All Brotzmann is so noisy, so this only gets played when the stars are perfectly aligned., i.e. When I feel in the mood and the house is empty.

Edited by Clunky

Pulled Nipples off eBay years ago in nice shape, black label with a beautiful concertina, for $100. Not "cheap" but entirely fair, so it can be done. I've really not spun this enough to form an opinion. All Brotzmann is so noisy, so this only gets played when the stars are perfectly aligned., i.e. When I feel in the mood and the house is empty.

Ok , listened to this at low volume , so as not to offend everyone else on a Sunday evening. It's the proximity of the tarogota to a dentist's drill or snake charmer that makes it a hard listen, no wonder it's not had much play in this house.

Now spinning

Mumps-----------A matter of taste---------(MPS)

This is a bit different from your average Mangelsdorff disc. ECM like soundscape with washes of synth and Surman's warbling soprano. Pretty underwhelmed first time I heard it but it's grown on me. Interesting.

I love that Mumps LP...I think I got my copy in the mid-90s and have played it many times. It's essentially a "Trio" album plus Albert Mangelsdorff!

Tonight's spins:

Art Blakey "the freedom rider" (blue note, NY USA)

Dave Liebman "lookout farm" (ECM, Germany)

Alvin Curran "songs and views from the magnetic garden" (ananda, Italy)

Playing my Mumps now.

I'm finding it a bit dull and realisiing why it doesn't get many outings here. It's as if Surman, Mangelsdorff and to a lesser extent Phillips are getting in each other's way. Everything's loaded in the mid-range. Themes/tunes aren't terribly memorable either.

Apart from that i'm loving it :)