• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gkmPwARRL._SX425_.jpg

Frank Sinatra - She Shot Me Down (Reprise). In honor of the solstice, I'm playing what many folks consider Sinatra's last great album, which contains two of Alec Wilder's last songs. One of those is "A Long Night," which is just chilling.

Yeah, that's not a record I really "like", but I definitely love it. What Gordon Jenkins does with "Bang Bang" is pretty chilling too, I think..."It Was A Very Good Year", etc, yeah, I see how you you get there from those songs. But how you get there from THIS song, how the hell does that happen? Vision beyond those of most, definitely. I'm not the biggest Gordon Jenkins fan, but when the guy was in his zone, it could get dark.

I'll make a halfass weak case for L.A. Is My Lady being a far better record that the title cut suggests, and I have a VHS of the "sessions" that is pretty cool for what it is, but, you know, She Shot Me Down got a freakin' raveass review in Rolling Stone on it's issue, and, you know, yeah, right, but still, it was not wrong, that review, the "young people" finally recognizing that, hey, life is drunk sometimes, not high, but drunk, and not a happy drunk, and whoa, this guy, I get it now.

But find a really cheap copy of that VHS...it's as phony as it is real, which is to say, hey, no illusions, have a drink.

The origins of the mic drop?

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, that's not a record I really "like", but I definitely love it. What Gordon Jenkins does with "Bang Bang" is pretty chilling too, I think..."It Was A Very Good Year", etc, yeah, I see how you you get there from those songs. But how you get there from THIS song, how the hell does that happen?

I like it more than I "love" it, except for "A Long Night" and "Bang Bang." I love "A Long Night" deeply. And I had a whole thing about "Bang Bang" written in my head, and decided to keep it simple and not go there. But, yeah, it's a stupid, crappy song, and Sinatra and Jenkins turn it into something deep. It put me in mind of Louis Armstrong's 1930 recording of "Sweethearts on Parade," which is a stupid, crappy song, and which Louis (in a very different way than Sinatra) turns into something deep.

One more before bed:

http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/pochs_g/055760.jpg

Snooks Eaglin - Down Yonder: Snooks Eaglin Today (GNP Crescendo). The brilliant Mr. Eaglin, recorded in 1977 over two days (Paul Secor's birthday and mine), with a great New Orleans band: Clarence Ford, tenor saxophone; Ellis Marsalis, piano; George French, bass, and Bob French, drums. Nobody's trying very hard, and the results are pretty great.

I'm glad I got to see Snooks a couple of times in my favorite city.

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pGg4Z7QE0H8/UOajumTCUxI/AAAAAAAAW4E/3s2ZElNpToQ/s1600/Norman+Granz'+Jazz+at+the+Philharmonic.jpg

Jazz at the Philharmonic (Stinson 10" LP). Not the first JATP concert, but the first released album, from the February 12, 1945 Los Angeles concert. I have the three-record 12" Asch 78 album as well.

I have a copy of that Stinson 10" too.

Edited by sidewinder

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

51QkPj29CYL.jpg

Liberty mono LP in a NY USA mono sleeve with a stereo sticker !

I bought a copy of that album some months ago on Ebay. Described as "VG+/VG+", it arrived looking like it had been skimmed across tarmac a few times, and the back was rubber-stamped "STOLEN FROM SCIPIO COLLINS" in 5 places. 

Edited by rdavenport

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20140110/370983207745.jpg

Sun Ra - Media Dream (El Saturn). Again, lots of cover variations. The only usable picture of the one I have is turned sideways; lean your head to the right to see what it looks like. I love the music, which is from the 1978 quartet tour of Italy.

Later, toward the end of side two: This album is so bizarre. Bizarre is good; I love it.

https://www.recordmania.net/media/covers/EJN78557.jpg  http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjkwWDcwMA==/$(KGrHqVHJCUFCmuQ88eDBQw,9IPl0!~~60_35.JPG

I was feeling tired and logy, so I decided to spin a bunch of jazz 45s - singles and EPs - to get me stirring and on my feet every three to six minutes. It worked, and I heard some great music.

Chico Hamilton (Sesac Repertory). A 1959 EP with Eric Dolphy.

Tony Scott - Swinging in Sweden (RCA). A nice little EP I picked up in Copenhagen. Some of the best work I've heard from Scott.

Benny Carter - Cruisin'/Lullaby in Blue (RCA Victor, 1952)

Shorty Rogers & His Giants (RCA Victor). Excellent music in excellent condition, from 1954, with Giuffre, Jolly, Counce, and Manne.

Edmond Hall - Edmund Hall with Gustav Brom Orchestra (Supraphon). Hall in great form in 1960 with a Czech big band. But I hope Brom's band was never asked to swing their way out of a wet paper bag.

Edmond Hall (Argentinian Columbia). An even better EP with a good Argentinian rhythm section, recorded in 1957 while Hall was on a South American tour with Louis Armstrong. My copy is inscribed (in pencil) by Hall to his doctor, O. A. Fulcher.

George Lewis with Papa Bue's Viking Jazz Band (Storyville). Lewis is near the top of his game on these 1959 Danish recordings, and Papa Bue's band could nearly pass for New Orleanians.

Ken Colyer's Jazz Men (Storyville). A 1953 EP by the classic early lineup of Colyer's band, with Chris Barber and Monty Sunshine. I found this in a tiny record store in a city I really love, Malmö, Sweden.