• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51di39rSN6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Introducing Jimmy Cleveland

Always liked this track:

Cleveland could be lovely on ballads. When I bought this album as a high school sophomore back in 1957-8,  the clerk in the record department of the stationary store (an attractive and seemingly very grown up senior girl) said to me after I'd played this track that she really liked it, doing so with a certain romantic vibe that suggested she liked me too for playing it. I walked out of that store on a cloud. 

Getting back to Cleveland on ballads, check out his "If You Could See Me Now" and "Ballad of the Sad Young Men" with Gil Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnxt8AK69iY

Yup -- L&A Stationers in Winnetka, Il.; they had a nice stock, jazz was popular then. Actually, there were very few record stores per se in my area in the '50s. Another place where I used to get 45s was a TV and appliance store. Remember buying the Basie-Joe Williams "Smack Dab in the Middle" there -- "Gimme oodles of butter, gangs of meat, gallons of coffee, and somethin' sweet..."

Yeah, we had furniture stores and a Firestone that sold records, the era of the small town rack jobber, must've been a wild life...In a town of about 7,000, I can think of at least 6 places where you could buy records of one kind or another, some current, some old, some off-brand, but all of them there and ready to be bought, drug stores, dime stores newsstands, grocery stores, seems like you could buy records any time you left the house, go out for a gallon of milk and an Elvis 45, or something like that.

And every Woolworth's and SS Kresge had a rack of cut-out LPs. With patience, you could find some amazing stuff.

Now playing:

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mWGrs24n2upWcKRWkLsK9Gw.jpg

Sam Rivers - The Quest (Pausa). This could also go in the "Great LPs which never made it to CD" thread, but there's already several Sam Rivers mentions there. In any case, I would hate to have to pick a single Sam Rivers album to take to a desert island. But if I did, this might be it. Maybe.

36 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Chu Berry: A Giant of the Tenor Sax (Commodore)

Couldn't find an image for my LP. Jeff and Jim S. got on me a bit when I commented (somewhat negatively) on this months ago. I decided to let it sit for a while before I listened again. Turns out that they were more right than I was.

I feel kind of bad - hope I wasn't too mean - except that it got you to listen again.

Now playing:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YHCwR3M8kls/S-X8upfe75I/AAAAAAAAAxs/4Ms0i4NiRgg/s1600/Cover.jpg

Steve Lacy - Flakes (Vista). I don't listen to this Italian album much; the music is dense and jagged and the recording is brittle. But it fits my mood tonight.

http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/pochs_g/087883.jpg

Harold Vick - Watch What Happens (RCA). I picked this up a couple of years ago, and listened to it once. I was put off by the overblown arrangements (including a female choir) on most of the tunes, so I put it aside to give it one more chance. Two years later, I just gave it another chance. And damn - Vick's playing is so strong on every track that I can forgive all the other musical transgressions. I'm keeping it.

If the worse thing I do in this life is to risk pissing somebody off by telling them they're wrong about Chu Berry, hey, clear conscience! :)

I have a burn of that Vick LP somewhere...is the title tune done as a ballad with just the quartet? I seem to remember it as being one of those things that can pass for a "straight" version, but only if you don't pay attention to the tenor playing, which is just full of colorations and tonal manipulations, in other words, typically Harold Vick, which is to say, the sound of a master at work. Eddie 'Harris would do shit like that too, sound like he's "just" playing the melody, but, pshaw, right, yeah, sure.

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have a burn of that Vick LP somewhere...is the title tune done as a ballad with just the quartet? I seem to remember it as being one of those things that can pass for a "straight" version, but only if you don't pay attention to the tenor playing, which is just full of colorations and tonal manipulations, in other words, typically Harold Vick, which is to say, the sound of a master at work.

No - the three quartet tracks are "Ode to Trane," "If Ever I Would Leave You," and "Angel Eyes." But Vick just smokes on every track. This album must have been a great disappointment to the folks at RCA, who were obviously trying for a pop-jazz album, but got something too good.