What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

5 hours ago, corto maltese said:

There are a couple of Art Ensemble sessions for the America label that were reissued on Prestige.

Actually, "America" was the jazz label of the French Musidisc company (distributor of Fantasy/Prestige in France), so it would have been more like a two way traffic in the 1970's.

correct -- Pierre Berjot had his hands in a number of pots. 

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I continue with my very personal LP spinning, the motto is "40 years of uninterrupted love for jazz". In 1978 I started seriously to collect records and now I´m spinning the records I bought and listened to and loved during that year.

At the end of september 78 I bought the Wes Montgomery-Wynton Kelly "Smokin at the Half Note", and that´s on the turntable right now. I know there have been reissues with further unreleased material, but this is the core and I love it the way I purchased it then.....

R-8105319-1455231287-1008.jpeg.jpg  R-4672164-1371764759-1368.jpeg.jpg  R-1944349-1424233522-7211.jpeg.jpg

I switched the turntable over to play vinyl rather than 78s today, but apparently decided that I still wanted to get up and change the record every three minutes. Pop/jazz vocal 45s plus a couple of Blue Notes:

Tony Bennett - It's So Peaceful in the Country / Being True to One Another (Columbia). This "It's So Peaceful" is one of my favorite versions of that Alec Wilder song.
Tony Bennett - While We're Young / Cold, Cold Heart (Columbia)

Helen Merrill - You Don't Know Me / I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Atco)

Louis Armstrong - A Kiss to Build a Dream On / I Get Ideas (Decca)
Louis Armstrong - Chloe / Listen to the Mocking Bird (Decca)
Louis Armstrong und Gabrielle- Onkel Satchmo's Lullaby / It's All In the Game (German Polydor). An oddity I found in Europe - side one is a duet with a German child star of the time (1959). Louis makes it listenable, as he does "Mocking Bird" above.

Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar / Next Time You See Me (BN). Joe Henderson on a 45 is kind of cool, maybe.

Lee Morgan - Midnight Cowboy / Popi (BN). I only play this record when enough time has passed that I don't remember how bad it is.

R-549498-1305424649.jpeg.jpg  R-2132328-1266085435.jpeg.jpg  R-4662233-1375306364-2910.jpeg.jpg

Steve Lacy - Catch (Horo). Duo with Kent Carter.

Hlrace Parlan - On the Spur of the Moment (BN/Music Matters reissue)

George Lewis and His New Orleans All Stars (Catalyst). Recorded in a Tokyo during Lewis' last (1964) of three Japanese tours. A really nice band, with trumpeter Jack Willis and trombonist Louis Nelson completing the front line. Willis was a really interesting player. He played with Ray Charles for awhile, and was something of a modernist. I hear Bobby Hackett, Miles Davis, and Clifford Brown in his playing. At the same time, he fits in well here. He was Lewis' regular trumpet player during this period, and he sounds like he loves playing this music. George Lewis and Louis Nelson could only do what they did (if that makes sense), while Willis was part of a later New Orleans generation, maturing in the 1940s and 1950s, that could play anything - traditional jazz, bebop, R & B. But when they played the older music, they played with the authority of musicians who grew up hearing that style as part of their daily soundscape.

Edited by jeffcrom

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-4208273-1358593740-1258.jpeg.jpg

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Les Stances A Sophie [Nessa]

so happy to finally have this on vinyl. An important album in my journey to Jazz, ...

Same here!

18 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Discogs lists an incredible total of 10 (ten!) pressing variations of the Nessa. 

I have this one: https://www.discogs.com/de/The-Art-Ensemble-Of-Chicago-Les-Stances-A-Sophie/release/2069878

That reminds me of stamp collecting: watermarks, perforation ... ;-)!

Edited by optatio

9 minutes ago, optatio said:

Same here!

I have this one: https://www.discogs.com/de/The-Art-Ensemble-Of-Chicago-Les-Stances-A-Sophie/release/2069878

That reminds me of stamp collecting: watermarks, perforation ... ;-)!

The Pathé is the Penny Black

Image result for penny black stamp

mine's this one. Maybe Mr Nessa (or Clifford T) can enlighten us as to why so many different labels in 1970 alone

R-4208273-1358593760-4506.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mjazzg

because its just too much dawg!  like grateful dead ship of fools! cue the crying

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Excellent ....

ok bro but i chose  R-2153045-1363529232-2892.jpeg.jpg

over  R-4265445-1360145799-5531.jpeg.jpg

i think i did right, no?  i have a ton of the shelly bands stuff but the bob gordon jack montrose line is something you dont see everyday

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez