• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 28.1.2020 at 3:54 AM, HutchFan said:

R-2783424-1409825239-6701.jpeg.jpg

Jay McShann played the piano very well. Of Course  he´s  best known for his big bands in the 40´s, but I like his small group stuff also. I saw him live once, don´t remember the year but it must have been in the early 1980´s . I remember it very well, because in the second set a very young female blues singer from Sicilia sat in and sang some with Jay McShann and  here name is  Etta Scollo and she became quite famous after that…..good singer really…...

24 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Jay McShann played the piano very well. Of Course  he´s  best known for his big bands in the 40´s, but I like his small group stuff also. I saw him live once, don´t remember the year but it must have been in the early 1980´s . I remember it very well, because in the second set a very young female blues singer from Sicilia sat in and sang some with Jay McShann and  here name is  Etta Scollo and she became quite famous after that…..good singer really…...

Etta Scollo .... lang ist's her ....

15 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-1822736-1496588690-4287.jpeg.jpg

Wonderful ! I love that record and if I want to hear original bop tunes with a better recording sound than the original Savoy´s or Dial´s , THIS is my first choice. It´s a real Allstar session, I think I like it even more than the "Giants of Jazz". 

One think I noticed About during that time, when I just had started to listen to jazz: Of Course I knew Dizzy , but it was the first time I saw Sonny Stitt and if you look at them, Dizzy Looks much younger than Sonny, though he is 7 years older. And when I saw them playing, I thought "who is that old man who Plays so Wonderful sax, who Looks like someone who might have been close to Charlie Parker...….? Incredible, but true. 

Stitt plays some wonderful sax on that album! Roach is a better choice than Blakey in the Giants of Jazz, IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Wonderful ! I love that record and if I want to hear original bop tunes with a better recording sound than the original Savoy´s or Dial´s , THIS is my first choice. It´s a real Allstar session, I think I like it even more than the "Giants of Jazz". 

One think I noticed About during that time, when I just had started to listen to jazz: Of Course I knew Dizzy , but it was the first time I saw Sonny Stitt and if you look at them, Dizzy Looks much younger than Sonny, though he is 7 years older. And when I saw them playing, I thought "who is that old man who Plays so Wonderful sax, who Looks like someone who might have been close to Charlie Parker...….? Incredible, but true. 

43 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Stitt plays some wonderful sax on that album! Roach is a better choice than Blakey in the Giants of Jazz, IMHO.

Agreed ! 

A few years later Dizzy played a great concert in NY, with an Allstar Bigband, and with a small Group (Dizzy, Gerry Mulligan, John Lewis, a bass Player, and Max Roach). I have the DVD and you can hear and see, how well Max fits in that set of vintage bop (they did HotHouse, and Tin Tin Deo). On the larger part, the Big Band tunes it´s Grady Tate on drums, but that sounds a bit rougher than Max, but that´s only my own Impression. 

To see Max in Action on that Video set of Music was also a nice experience for my wife, who doesn´t necessarly listen to jazz but said "that´s really a good Drummer"......

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Dizzy does indeed look much younger.