• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

Yeah, a good one.

BobbyHutcherson-SanFrancisco_ClassicViny

Amazingly, my ‘local’ had this new Classic Series in stock this afternoon. Not a mark on it and the sound is very good, certainly trounces my old ‘Collectors Choice’ CD of this title. Punchier and much clearer.

A happy camper !

Edited by sidewinder

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Amazingly, my ‘local’ had this new Classic Series in stock this afternoon. Not a mark on it and the sound is very good, certainly trounces my old ‘Collectors Choice’ CD of this title. Punchier and much clearer.

A happy camper !

I love that album.  Phew!  Tempting!  :P 

On 1/25/2023 at 10:52 PM, sidewinder said:

OC0zNzU4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Strange album cover. Looks more like some early 50´s cover art. 
I think I have Solid somewhere but remember it has a typical 60´s BN coverfoto of Grant Green and a blue design.

But I remember very much the fine music on it. I think there is also a rare version of Ezz Thetics. 

4 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Strange album cover. Looks more like some early 50´s cover art. 
I think I have Solid somewhere but remember it has a typical 60´s BN coverfoto of Grant Green and a blue design.

But I remember very much the fine music on it. I think there is also a rare version of Ezz Thetics. 

Yes, ‘Ezz-Thetics’ is on there. The cover art is the one used on the King LP when the Japanese first issued this session. I think the blue cover photo was used on the Conn CD.

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I love that album.  Phew!  Tempting!  :P 

I only have a couple of these BN Classics but happy with this one.

Ni03MjkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

@Gheorghe Indeed, they were imitating the Andy Warhol Covers a bit in that series of Japanese reissues... Which kinda makes sense for Nigeria but not Solid... the handwriting is completely off on this one though, Warhol would always use his mother's which looks quite different 

Edited by Niko

On 1/25/2023 at 10:18 PM, Brad said:

I have the cd version of this from Jass which adds songs from Charlie Parker and is called Charlie Parker and the Stars of Modern Jazz at Carnegie Hall, Christmas 1949. 

😁👍  Interesting. How are these Ch. Parker tracks?

On 1/21/2023 at 10:15 PM, sidewinder said:

77060_3_Stickerposition-scaled.jpg

2x45 Exercise Edition.

💗

3 hours ago, Niko said:

I take it back... I thought Nigeria was a bit earlier, very early sixties, almost fifties ... But it's also from 1962.... Still a Warhol cover seems more likely in 62 than in 64...

All of those GKK ‘first issues’ were put out in the late 70s/early 80s. They caused quite a stir amongst Blue Note fans at the time. I used to drool over them in the racks when seen at Mole Jazz In the Imports section but being a poor student at the time it was the £1.99 deletion racks or nothing for me. The Kings were around £7.50-£9 and limited issue. 🙁

They didn’t last for too long here either and became scarce and even higher price when second hand. Over the years, I filled some gaps.

31 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

😁👍  Interesting. How are these Ch. Parker tracks?

💗

Yes, the Paul Kuhn is a very nice sounding audiophile issue. Good job there by In&Out Records of Koblenz.

Edited by sidewinder

NS0yNTI4LmpwZWc.jpeg

The Family of Mann - First Light (Atlantic, 1974)

Flute – Herbie Mann
Tenor Saxophone – David Newman
Guitar – Sam Brown
Keyboards – Pat Rebillot
Bass – Tony Levin
Drums – Steve Gadd
Percussion – Armen Halburian
Congas – Carlos "Patato" Valdes (tracks: A1)

I wonder why Mann released this one LP with a band name -- The Family of Mann -- unlike all of the albums that came before and after, which were released as "Herbie Mann" records. 

Anyone know?

Just now, HutchFan said:

LTY2MDEuanBlZw.jpeg

Ramsey Lewis - Maiden Voyage (Cadet, 1968)
Charles Stepney's and Cleveland Eaton's arrangements for voices & strings on this LP are ridiculously soulful.  Jazz, the church, and late-60s pop in perfect equilibrium.

I need to get a copy of that

10 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I need to get a copy of that

Over the last few years, I've been hoovering up Ramsey Lewis LPs -- from the beginnings up thru, say, his mid-70s stuff -- as I come across them in record stores.  Over here in the U.S., at least, they're very inexpensive.  

For my money, his most interesting stuff happens from Dancing in the Street (1967) through Upendo Ni Pamoja (1972).  

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Over the last few years, I've been hoovering up Ramsey Lewis LPs -- from the beginnings up thru, say, his mid-70s stuff -- as I come across them in record stores.  Over here in the U.S., at least, they're very inexpensive.  

For my money, his most interesting stuff happens from Dancing in the Street (1967) through Upendo Ni Pamoja (1972).  

I find this one also very melodic

43641237nc.jpg

11 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

I find this one also very melodic

43641237nc.jpg

:tup  Thanks for the recommendation.  For those albums, I might actually plop for the CD. . . . Since those two LPs are the trio's first/oldest recordings, they are the most difficult to find in good, playable condition on vinyl.

Edited by HutchFan

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

:tup  Thanks for the recommendation.  For those albums, I might actually plop for the CD. . . . Since those two LPs are the trio's first/oldest recordings, they are the most difficult to find in good, playable condition on vinyl.

Yes I have only the first  on Argo vinyl and bought the CD for the second. Very tasteful music.

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

On 1/26/2023 at 11:29 AM, Gheorghe said:

Is this the same like an old Japan LP, which is very very short and I think is titled "I guiding light in the forties" ? 

Have a look:

https://www.discogs.com/release/915803-Lennie-Tristano-The-Rarest-TrioQuartet-Sessions-19461947

https://www.discogs.com/master/914066-Lennie-Tristano-A-Guiding-Light-Of-The-Forties