Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I saw him twice, with Oscar Peterson and with Eastern Rebellion.

I thought I might hear him with George Coleman since I think he was the bassist on "Amsterdam at Dark" and shortly after that record he toured with the same quartet playing the recently recorded tunes, but if I remember right, Sam Jones was replaced by Ray Drummond. 

On the other hand, I would like to know why Sam Jones composition "Del Sasser" is so popular among jazz students here in Europe. They may not even heard of Sam Jones but it seems to be common material. As a musician sometimes you wonder why all know the same tunes, and some tunes that seem very common to me remain unknown .....or they are not in the obligatory repertoire for learning tunes ? 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

On the other hand, I would like to know why Sam Jones composition "Del Sasser" is so popular among jazz students here in Europe. They may not even heard of Sam Jones but it seems to be common material. As a musician sometimes you wonder why all know the same tunes, and some tunes that seem very common to me remain unknown .....or they are not in the obligatory repertoire for learning tunes ? 

It may have to do with the fact that many used the Real Book instead of learning to transcribe on their own. And true to European tradition they learned the music from the sheets instead of listening to records. I have observed the same as you. 

Edited by mikeweil

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

‘Del Sasser’ featured on one of the popular Jamey Aebersold play along records, on a collection of Cannonball Adderley-related tunes, issued in the 80s I think. That’s how I learnt it. Plus, it’s a great tune to play.

Anthony 

London

18 hours ago, mikeweil said:

It may have to do with the fact that many used the Real Book instead of learning to transcribe on their own. And true to European tradition they learned the music from the sheets instead of listening to records. I have observed the same as you. 

Oh yeah, this must be the reason. And I agree to you that it seems than many folks learn from Real Book more than from listening. 
I´m sure all those guys who have Del Sasser in their repertory never had heard the original. 
About transcribing. I think I remember when I was a young boy I tried to transcribe the tunes that others of my age hadn´t learned. I had that old little casetofon from my grandma who just had died in 1975 and it had a button for low speed, so the tune was an octave lower, that´s how I "transcribed" stuff like "Ornithology", "Little Willie Leaps", "Moose the Mooche", and so on. But it was very hard work since my knowledge of written music is more than limited. But it was better than just reading sheet of a tune I never had heard. 

Later I didn´t need to transcribe, some listening and I had it in my head. 

15 hours ago, adh1907 said:

‘Del Sasser’ featured on one of the popular Jamey Aebersold play along records, on a collection of Cannonball Adderley-related tunes, issued in the 80s I think. That’s how I learnt it. Plus, it’s a great tune to play.

Anthony 

London

Oh this explains why one group I played with in the 80´s had all those Cannonball Adderley related tunes. Since I´m not really an Adderly fan in special (I always was the "Jackie McLean-Boy") I just had to play them, they also had Horace Silver tunes. I doubt the "leader", an alto saxophonist had ever heard the original records. 

13 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

45073096mn.jpg

45073095zi.jpg

I never got that album, it must have been very very rare. 
From the same date I think was a also a whole set of Bird (with Rodney, Haig, Tommy Potter and Roy Haynes) with incredible solos of Koko, Ornithology and so on, but I had this on Side B of a Musidisc LP "Parker Broadcasts". Later it was on an extremly rare (at least here in Europe) "1949 Concert", but I already had it on Musidisc. The others with Bud and Miles I never saw in the record shops. A friend made me a copy , it´s exiting, but I like later versions of "All God´s Chillun" more, especially one live from Switzerland and an incredible solo version in Europe 1956 with a stride section,  I think it also was in Switzerland, maybe in Zurich. 

2 hours ago, optatio said:

👍

Stars ... 1_stitch.jpg

Stars 2 - 1_stitch.jpg

😁💗

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

From the same date I think was a also a whole set of Bird (with Rodney, Haig, Tommy Potter and Roy Haynes) with incredible solos of Koko, Ornithology and so on, but I had this on Side B of a Musidisc LP "Parker Broadcasts". Later it was on an extremly rare (at least here in Europe) "1949 Concert", but I already had it on Musidisc. The others with Bud and Miles I never saw in the record shops. A friend made me a copy , it´s exiting, but I like later versions of "All God´s Chillun" more, especially one live from Switzerland and an incredible solo version in Europe 1956 with a stride section,  I think it also was in Switzerland, maybe in Zurich. 

👍👍

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/BirdSessions.aspx?s=491225b 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

1 hour ago, optatio said:

I only have this recording in a cardboard sleeve ...

Parker 12-1943 - 1.jpg

Parker 12-1943 - 2.jpg

It is indeed a "blanc cover": http://birdparkerslegacy.com/carnegiehall/491224.html

Edited by optatio

D11-AD220-6388-4-D31-A70-C-FCCB6-BFEBFA1

this remains one of my favorite Blue Note sessions and the 80th anniversary edition sounds excellent. The first time I heard Malagueña I was blown away by it and the power of Hendersons horn. I’m a sucker for that eastern modal groove (same thing with Tranes Ole). And then there’s Lazy Afternoon 🥰

47 minutes ago, Pim said:

98462525-D6-B9-4-E04-98-E1-234168-BA61-C

anyone know what’s the story with Jasmine? Was it some kind of early PD label? Their reissues are mostly pretty cheap (this one was 5 euros) in the second hand bins but it sounds pretty damn good.

I’ve got quite a few Coltrane Impulses on that imprint. They must have had the European rights in the late 70s and 80s. They came right after those UK Anchor Records reissues from the mid 1970s, again have quite a few of those too. The Jasmine sleeves are flimsy and vinyl lightweight but can sound OK. Anchor Records actually came with US Impulse gatefolds of that era.

Jasmine also reissued a fair bit of British Jazz recorded by Tempo, both on LP and CD. Again, they can sound good.

1 hour ago, Pim said:

this remains one of my favorite Blue Note sessions and the 80th anniversary edition sounds excellent. The first time I heard Malagueña I was blown away by it and the power of Hendersons horn. I’m a sucker for that eastern modal groove (same thing with Tranes Ole). And then there’s Lazy Afternoon 🥰

👍

21 minutes ago, Pim said:

BF60-F119-B51-B-44-E8-B82-C-56-E1-FDB188

👍

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Amen ....