Jump to content

What vinyl are you spinning right now??


wolff

Recommended Posts

I'm wondering how iny mind that I've always had Oliver Nelson attached to this session as arranger. I don't see his name on the original LP, but... it's in Discogs, and maybe enenin the ZDB review? So where did his name get added?

Per https://quartetrecords.com/product/last-tango-in-paris/

 

The successful album released in 1972 by United Artists Records was in fact a re-recording made in New York with great musicians, and a real gem in terms of sound recording. It was first released on CD in the mid-nineties by Ryko, who added to the album about 25 minutes from the original film recording in mono (Varèse Sarabande reissued this same program a few years later). For this edition, we have been fortunate to find the original 8-channel multi-tracks with the complete original film recording, made in Rome.

Listening to all the material prepared by Barbieri for the film (orchestrated and conducted by Oliver Nelson)—an hour of music on 49 different tracks (of which Bertolucci used only about twenty minutes)—adds a wide perspective to this marvelous score heard for the first time in pristine stereo sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 55.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • sidewinder

    5303

  • paul secor

    4123

  • clifford_thornton

    3884

  • jeffcrom

    2810

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next up:

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Harold Ousley - The People's Groove (Muse, 1977)
Promo copy

Tenor & Alto Saxophone – Harold Ousley 
Trumpet – Gary Chandler (track A1 only)
Guitar – Bob Rose, Nate Stokes
Organ – Bobby Forrester (tracks: A2, B2)
Piano – Neal Creque (tracks: A3, B3), Norman Simmons (tracks: A4, B1)
Bass – Jay Leonhart (tracks: A3, B3), Ray McKinny (tracks: A1), Victor Sproles (tracks: A4, B1)
Drums – Al Dreares (tracks: A1), Jim Young (tracks: A3, B3), Steve Butler (2) (tracks: A2, A4, B1 to B2)
Congas – Ralph Dorsey (tracks: A2, A4, B1)
Percussion – Danny Barrajanos (tracks: A3, B3), Steve Kroon (tracks: A2, A4, B1)
Vocals – Edna Holt (tracks: A2, A4, B1), Holly Hamilton (tracks: A4, B1)

it looks like this LP was assembled from three sessions -- even though it doesn't have the feel of an "odds and ends" album.  Quite the opposite: I think it coheres very well.

No dates are listed on the sleeve, but it appears that Ousley re-used two cuts from The Kid! (Cobblestone, 1972) on The People's Groove.  Tracks A3 ("Me & Bobby McGhee," edited) and B3 ("The Kid!," identical) appear on both LPs, and the personnel is the same as well.  Per Discogs, Ousley recorded these two cuts on 03/28/1972.

Does anyone have more insight into the recording dates for the other five cuts on The People's Groove?  

 

Edited by HutchFan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

It is really good. Nice Japanese Paddle Wheel promo!

It was pressed by King records and sounds amazing. You must have the original India Navigation Clifford? Does that one also has that sound like you’re there in the studios? The interaction between Chico and Cecil is lovely

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Harold Ousley - The People's Groove (Muse, 1977)
Promo copy

Tenor & Alto Saxophone – Harold Ousley 
Trumpet – Gary Chandler (track A1 only)
Guitar – Bob Rose, Nate Stokes
Organ – Bobby Forrester (tracks: A2, B2)
Piano – Neal Creque (tracks: A3, B3), Norman Simmons (tracks: A4, B1)
Bass – Jay Leonhart (tracks: A3, B3), Ray McKinny (tracks: A1), Victor Sproles (tracks: A4, B1)
Drums – Al Dreares (tracks: A1), Jim Young (tracks: A3, B3), Steve Butler (2) (tracks: A2, A4, B1 to B2)
Congas – Ralph Dorsey (tracks: A2, A4, B1)
Percussion – Danny Barrajanos (tracks: A3, B3), Steve Kroon (tracks: A2, A4, B1)
Vocals – Edna Holt (tracks: A2, A4, B1), Holly Hamilton (tracks: A4, B1)

it looks like this LP was assembled from three sessions -- even though it doesn't have the feel of an "odds and ends" album.  Quite the opposite: I think it coheres very well.

No dates are listed on the sleeve, but it appears that Ousley re-used two cuts from The Kid! (Cobblestone, 1972) on The People's Groove.  Tracks A3 ("Me & Bobby McGhee," edited) and B3 ("The Kid!," identical) appear on both LPs, and the personnel is the same as well.  Per Discogs, Ousley recorded these two cuts on 03/28/1972.

Does anyone have more insight into the recording dates for the other five cuts on The People's Groove?  

 

From my Lords I found these Informations

Hope it helps

 

Harold Ousley
[O2184-15]
The Kid !: 
Harold Ousley (ts) Neal Creque (p,el-p,org) Bob Rose (g) Jay Leonhart (el-b) Jim Young (d) Danny Barrajanos (perc) Ralph Dorsey (cga) 
New York, March 28, 1972
    The kid    Cobblestone CST9017, Muse MR5107
    Forget it, I've got it               -              MR5141
    Me and Bobby McGee               -              MR5107
    The prodigal son               -              MR4141
    Come Sunday               -
    One for the masses               -       , Muse MR5141
Note: Muse MR5107 titled "The people's groove"; see flwg sessions for more titles.
Muse MR5141 titled "Sweet double hipness"; see flwg sessions for more titles.

Harold Ousley
[O2185-15]
The People's Groove: 
Gary Chandler (tp) Harold Ousley (ts) Nat Stokes (g) Ray McKinney (b) Al Dreares (d) 
New York, mid 1970's
    The people's groove    Muse MR5107

Harold Ousley
[O2186-15]
Harold Ousley (ts) Bobby Forrester (org) Nat Stokes (g-1) Steve Butler (d) Steven Kroon (perc-1) Ralph Dorsey (cga-1) Edna Holt (vcl-1) 
New York, mid 1970's
    Little virgo (1)    Muse MR5107
    Why did I choose you ?        -

Harold Ousley
[O2187-15]
Harold Ousley (ts) Norman Simmons (p) Victor Sproles (b) Steve Butler (d) Ralph Dorsey (cga) Holly Hamilton, Edna Holt (vcl) 
New York, mid 1970's
    Positivity    Muse MR5107
    El exi-hente        -
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pim said:

It was pressed by King records and sounds amazing. You must have the original India Navigation Clifford? Does that one also has that sound like you’re there in the studios? The interaction between Chico and Cecil is lovely

The sound of the US Version is similarly spectacular, but the japanese pressing is superior ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Shorty Rogers Meets Tarzan (MGM, mono) Fantastic!  A perfect companion piece to Afro-Cuban Influence.

Priceless Cover Art .... and the "West Coast All-Stars" are well oiled ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

The sound of the US Version is similarly spectacular, but the japanese pressing is superior ....

Thanks! Don’t think many people had the opportunity to compare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pim said:

Thanks! Don’t think many people had the opportunity to compare.

A small but world class record store aka Red Octopus Records @ Wien imported from Japan and US heavily (or should I say heavenly ?) at that time .... those were the days .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

A small but world class record store aka Red Octopus Records @ Wien imported from Japan and US heavily (or should I say heavenly ?) at that time .... those were the days .....

Red Octopus and Jazz by Freddie, those where the places where I could be spotted then.....

But I am glad the there is still a lot of stuff goin around. Now you mostly can spot me at ZWE´s . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

Priceless Cover Art .... and the "West Coast All-Stars" are well oiled ....

Yes!  I tried to find the film last night, but it wasn't on the streaming services we use.  It must be terrible.  It is from 1959, but it reuses stock footage from the 1932 film!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now spinning:

NS01MTc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Caiman Super All Stars - Super All-Star (Caiman, 1984)
with:
Timbales, Vibraphone – Tito Puente
Alto Saxophone, Flute – Paquito D'Rivera
Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Piccolo Flute – Mario Rivera 
Trumpet – "Chocolate" Armenteros, Spanky Davis, Valery Ponomarev
Trombone – Claudio Roditi, José Rodrigues, Steve Turre
Piano – Paquito Pastor
Bass – Andy Gonzalez
Guiro – Felo Barrios
Congas – Daniel Ponce
Coro – Leo González, Felo Barrios

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

NS01MTc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Caiman Super All Stars - Super All-Star (Caiman, 1984)
with:
Timbales, Vibraphone – Tito Puente
Alto Saxophone, Flute – Paquito D'Rivera
Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Piccolo Flute – Mario Rivera 
Trumpet – "Chocolate" Armenteros, Spanky Davis, Valery Ponomarev
Trombone – Claudio Roditi, José Rodrigues, Steve Turre
Piano – Paquito Pastor
Bass – Andy Gonzalez
Guiro – Felo Barrios
Congas – Daniel Ponce
Coro – Leo González, Felo Barrios

Feat. a great version of "El Platanal De Bartolo" ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Plus the ever-popular "instruments floating in space" album sleeve motif.  :P 

Regarding "instruments floating in space" Cover Art Andy Gonzalez is the link here to Libre's "Con Salsa ... Con Ritmo" 🧐😎 ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...