What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

John Patton; Blue John. Blue Note EMI Pathe Marconi DMM.

Always found this an odd unpolished session.

Now

Patton again, That Certain Feeling. Blue Note, Blue and white Liberty. Much better!

Glad it's not just me - Blue John has always been oddly unsatisfying. But That Certain Feeling - yeah!

Edited by jeffcrom

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Duke Pearson 'Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band' (BN Liberty blue/white stereo). This LP is so damn hot that the power amp cut out due to overheat half way through 'Straight Up and Down' :blink:

The coolest solution:

A2%20Wind%20Tunnel%20Test%20Section.JPG

:P

:lol:

Yes, I'm thinking of getting a fan to stick next to the NAP 250. Mustn't crank the volume so loud. Maybe it needs a re-cap?

Edited by sidewinder

Lots of other great things to recommend.

'All Blues' and the two Ronnie Scott's live recordings on MPS/BASF for sure. And 'All Smiles'/'More Smiles' on MPS.

My faves on MPS are actually 'Latin Kaleidoscope' and 'Fellini 712'.

Then there's also the Verve 'Changes of Scene' and Black Lion 'At Her Majesty's Pleasure'.

Followed by the various Shihab, Boland, Bailey and Sadi projects, some of which have been reissued by Rearward Schema. Wonderful stuff !

Thanks for the recommendations. Picked up More Smiles on vinyl, and they also had At Her Majesty's Pleasure, which I'll go back for. I have the Oktav CD of Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group - don't know if that's the kind of thing you're talking about.

Exploring jazz never ends - ain't it great?

Two Originals, which combines All Blues and Sax No End on a single CD, currently on offer new on ebay for 99p!

John Patton; Blue John. Blue Note EMI Pathe Marconi DMM.

Always found this an odd unpolished session.

Now

Patton again, That Certain Feeling. Blue Note, Blue and white Liberty. Much better!

Glad it's not just me - Blue John has always been oddly unsatisfying. But That Certain Feeling - yeah!

And I thought it was only me! Nice sleeve note by Terry Martin.

I'm on a spy kick lately (I know, I'm "Teasing the Korean").

Sometimes disposable artifacts say more about a culture than its "art." Right now, I'm really interested in the Bond/spy knockoff LPs and am surprised at how good some of them are, especially the non-soundtrack stuff.

Currently spinning:

The Zero Zero Seven Band - James Bond Thrillers - Somerset (stereo)

Arranged by the two main 101 Strings guys, Lowden and Kuhn.

This one is hit or miss, but it has its moments.

Dave Burrell: High Won-High Two (Arista Freedom)

Seeing this post reminded that I have a lot of these Arista/Freedom reissues that I need to spin. I bought almost the entire series used for cheap at local stores in the past year or two. Great stuff. Thanks to Michael Cuscuna. Starting at the beginning...

Albert Ayler - Vibrations (AL 1000)

Marion Brown - Porto Novo (AL 1001)

That series is good and cheap. I have most of the reissued titles in other formats (i.e., Polydor UK, Fontana, Spiegeli, Black Lion, etc.) but you could get in the door cheap with Arista-Freedom. I think Cadence used to have them for $1.99 or $1.49 in their catalog back in the late 80s, well before I knew there was jazz other than Miles and Coltrane.